The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sarah Palin slams Family Guy » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 15:43, markmiller wrote:
Palin has made her share of low blows and kicks to the gut. What goes around comes around.

LOL really? Is there any comparison as to how much trash has been talked about her? Goes around comes around. Riiiight.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Personally I think FOX has got to be pretty much the worst major network around. They really don't seem to care who they hurt or offend as long as it helps them in the ratings. It was FOX that started the masked magician shows as well.
Bob.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Did you know that the skin of the average poster on Magic Café is as thin as an onion's? Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Lots of righteousness being exhibited here. How many here from either side of this issue would back up their indignation or opinions selflessly?

Family Guy has some of the dullest obvious pedestrian writing and flat delivery not to mention uninspired art work of most any show ever. At least that's MY opinion.
But how many here would turn down the scripts if given the oportunity to be paid mucho dinero to voice the show?? Are the principles being expressed here backed up by action IF that was the situation? Or are we just talking? Only curious as to what the answers would be.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I saw the episode. As much as a fan I am of Family Guy, I felt a little twinge when the down syndrome girl announced that her mother was the former Governor of Alaska. I was a little uncomfortable and actually felt sympathetic to Palin (who I do not support politically). I could sense the backlash that might ensue, and I had a feeling that this was "crossing the line."

HOWEVER... if I was to defend the show, I would point out that the Chris character really likes her - he actually says so, and calls her "sweet." When they are having dinner together in the restaurant and she says her mom is the former Gov of Alaska, he responds, "Oh that's cool!" And she agrees - "It's real cool!" No attacks are made of Sarah Palin. So we have a typical (but demanding) teenage girl who just happens to have DS, and is seen as quite the catch by Chris. Hooray for DS people!

So I could see both sides of the argument. And as others have said, it is Family Guy after all. They make a living crossing all sorts of boundaries. But, still a tough call. If it was up to me I would have probably not wanted to go there.

Oh... as an aside, go back and watch the the "Italian guy" segment at about the 3:00 minute mark of Balducci's 3rd link. LMAO! (and by the way, are any Italians offended by that?)

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Hey, I'm an Absurdist; I'd voice a character for the show in a heartbeat.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 20:32, MAKMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 15:43, markmiller wrote:
Palin has made her share of low blows and kicks to the gut. What goes around comes around.

LOL really? Is there any comparison as to how much trash has been talked about her? Goes around comes around. Riiiight.

I have to agree that Palin gets more trash talk. But that's only because she (either openly or unwittingly) invites it.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 16:20, EsnRedshirt wrote:
So in other words, the people complaining loudest are the ones who didn't actually watch it? This sounds familiar...

I don't find anything remotely contradictory about that, if that's your suggestion. Similarly, I imagine reports about "N-Bombs" dropped at a KKK meeting would probably most offend people who didn't/wouldn't attend such meetings.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Of course, for most people (by which I mean nobody specifically here at TMC), the answer comes down not to priniciple, but to politics. People who don't like Palin's think it's fine, and people who do think it's unfine. Big surprise.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Family Guy offends me (mostly because of its stupidity).

However ... Sarah ... if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. Please.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Since the character's disability wasn't mocked, she was a character who just happened to have DS, do the people who object to this "Family Guy" episode object to any depiction of people with any disabilities in any the media at any time? Or do you just object to people with DS being depicted in the media?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
R* - they aren't reading, or watching, considering or caring about the topic at hand - just writing about their issues.

Not one of the critters here has addressed the stoner humor of non-sequitors much less the bit where a supposed infant addresses the audience for a quiz.

So what that Palin has issues about her kid - a kick in the gut - how Freudian. And not one of the critters here commented about that either.

Can you see yourself yet?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I absolutely agree with Ron (RS) and his description of the show.

We used to eat regularly at a Lyon's restaurant in Soth Lake Tahoe. The hostess was a DS girl. High functioning, very funny, always bright and cheerful and must have been well paid as she was always dressed to the nines. She was in a word, a delightful person.

As I watched the scenes, I thought of her and in no way would she have been or felt denegrated.

I don't give 2 bits for this show BUT I thought it was pretty cool they way it was depicted. and the rumpas around it is rather silly. Palin has her view which she has every right to have but I think the sensitivity level on this issue is a bit high and somewhat misplaced.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Just a way to keep one's personna out front for public consumption.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Palin has her view which she has every right to have but I think the sensitivity level on this issue is a bit high and somewhat misplaced.

So what's new? IMHO, on many issues her sensitivity level is a bit high and somewhat misplaced.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
In a 2008 episode of Family Guy, "Stewie and Brian steal some Nazi uniforms and find a lapel button promoting the McCain-Palin campaign".

Curiously, I don't recall any complaints from Palin at the time about that. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIWTB8POnkg
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Wait a minute... two FOX players are at odds and getting great press for both their shows? Hmmmm... A little obvious?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
It appears the actress who voiced the character in the Family Guy episode who had Down Syndrome in fact has Down Syndrome and has a rather interesting take on the whole "controversy"

"My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes."
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Payne, here's the link to Andrea's letter. (I hopped on here to post it, and, surprisingly enough, you were already talking about it.)

http://palingates.blogspot.com/2010/02/a......ord.html
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Goodness, that's just too fabulous for words. Well played, Family Guy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sarah Palin slams Family Guy » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL