The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Opinions on my contact form? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
In terms of directing the user to do/go where you want to - vertical forms are simply more intuitive today . . . if parts of your form are optional or "opt-in" - just make that somewhat clear too.

You might add/apply some simple CSS editing as well to make it a bit more professional looking . . . just some thoughts . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
CSS is a future step in web site development for me. I've got enough on my plate right now that I have to put that farther down the list. I understand tables.

I did have a vertical form and was even playing with "I want to do this" checkboxes that would show only the sections the user wanted to fill in. The problem was that certain sections would wind up so far down the page that I was making the user work too hard to enter information.

I thought about separate forms, but then I had the common info that needed to be gathered also, and I also sent them all over the site if they wanted to do more than one thing.

This was the best compromise I could come up with.
Ed
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A lot of people are going to ignore it because they would not want to mention their age.
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Hi Ed,

I like the motivation you show by taking action on a number of fronts with this - you've got a magic club, show booking, and customer comment fields.

Formatting is a bit of an issue, but my main thought is that you're trying to accomplish too much here.

I would separate all these out onto different webpages:
One for contact regarding a show
One for comments after a show
One for signing up for the magic emails

Really promote the value of providing this info for each of these. You really need to push these days to get folks to give you an email address - so you had best
offer great value for doing so.

I would not show the Comments form to anyone except past customers - then I would email them a special link to fill this out -- but not make it available for just anyone.

Unrelated, but why do you have ads for other stuff on YOUR website? (e.g., Progressive Insurance) Are you including Adsense on your pages? IMO this undercuts your message as a professional and it also creates a risk that the ad will be more
compelling than what YOU have to offer - keep folks on your site once you get them there.

Again, the fact you're taking serious action on multiple fronts here is great. Just consider my suggestion to split these up onto separate pages so you can give each the positioning it deserves.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
DynaMike:

Nothing on the form is a required field. If they don't put it, the form will still go. (I've gotten several blank hits from - I suspect - Café members checking it out!) I could include a lot more explanatory text, but then I'm getting real big with this, and I was trying to keep it minimal.

Jack:

As I outlined in my reply to TheMagicianGuide, I had thought of making three separate forms. But my skills and resources are very limited, and I was stuck either asking for the name and so forth on every form or finding some kludge to hold on to their info as they travel across to another form.

As for the show comments, I don't know how to restrict that to only those who have seen me. While I agree with the concept, I don't know how to implement that. Both my last show and the next show are for libraries - there's a huge audience that I have no contact info for to send them a link. And what about the parents who simply watch at a birthday party?

I would like a real nice separate form for booking a show, complete with a date-picker calendar and a PayPal button. But I don't have the knowledge or resources for that right yet.

And the ads are courtesy of my free web host plan. I really wish I could afford a professional site!! (At the moment, though, "cheep and cheesy" kinda fits me ...)

Ed
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
Ed,

I completely respect the cheap and easy route. I am on page 1 in Google for my market and have never paid a dime for hosting or anything. My web page is built using Komposer, a free WYSIWYG HTML editor, and it is hosted on webs.com, free w/no ads if you use the html plan. I also use forms on my site from formspring.com. They offer a free plan with 3 forms and unlimited submits. I also use google docs forms for my invoices and feedback pages. Search around and find things that work for you, but I would definitely at least put forms on different pages.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Opinions on my contact form? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL