The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls performance video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I love the tie in between the orange tree mechanics and the cups loads - very nice I enjoyed it a lot.

and your audience did aswell - not a "frosty" reception as I would expect Smile
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Tilman
Thank you for all your kind words.

I got the idea for the script when seeing a photograph of Robert-Houdin performing the cups and balls (in Fechner's edition of Robert-Houdin's autobiography). I was wondering why he would do that, given the disdain he expresses for the trick in his 'Confidences' (where he was wondering why Bosco would still perform that old feat). I was also wondering why he later devoted so much space in the 'Secrets of Conjuring and Magic' to a trick he did not think was fit for the enlightened audiences of his time.
So I imagined a late endorsement of the trick by Robert-Houdin. From there the script grew, including the idea of connecting the final loads (oranges) to the orange tree...
I later read in Fechner's biography of Robert-Houdin that the photograph does not show Robert-Houdin performing the cups and balls. He was posing for one of the illustrations in the 'Secrets of Conjuring and Magic' - for an illustration depicting Bosco.

There are more historical inaccuracies in my script (Robert-Houdin did not invent the coin lock for toilets - John Nevil Maskelyne did). I think they are unnecessary and when left out may make the script a bit tighter.

Thank you again,
Tilman
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Very, very good, Tilman. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The historical bit reminded me of Ricky Jay's routine. Scholarly but at the same time superbly entertaining. Thank you for sharing this wonderful magic.

Fortasse
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2010-02-22 15:50, walid ahumada wrote:
For my own taste preference I would turn up the tempo a little bit, however for your character seams to work perfect [...]

Agreed.

While the routine was well suited for the specific venue, IMO it would play poorly in most venues outside the intellectual elite it played for. IMO for the general public, it was to slow and relied on lengthy historic references not to mention the end phase was interrupted with patter taking away from the final loads. Seven minutes is a long time. However, with that said, for the setting and audience that you performed for I felt you hit a home run. Still.. I would receommend adjusting the ending to improve your final revelation so next time you could hit it out of the park. This is my opinion based on my own taste and preference regarding the final loads in a routine.

Overall, I congratulate you.. a job well done.

I know I may be reading more into this than others who posted before me on this one. Reading the above posts I can see that. With my opinion, I mean no disrespect to the brilliance and thought in the construction and purpose of the routine for the designed audience. Performing for intellectuals is hard business for some entertainers, for others, its near impossible. You did a good job!

What I enjoyed most about watching this video was the lesson/reminder that we have to be able to adapt our magic to suit (and properly entertain) our audience - regardless of our likes or dislikes. This means we need to know and understand who we are entertaining, what to use, how to best present it, and force ourselves to grow when we come up short for one reason or another. Sadly, from what I've seen, many magicians have a hard time doing this and I congratulate you for doing it quite well and proficiently.

Thanks for posting your routine.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Rockabilly
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria, BC,
158 Posts

Profile of Rockabilly
Excellent pace, very logical patter throughout the routine. Congratulations on a job very very well done. Smile
Steve
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Very well done. I especially like the pouch being at your side instead of in front.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tilman sent me a preview of this about a week ago. I really like what he has done with this. Regarding the pace -- you adjust that to fit your crowd. An audience of physicists is really more accustomed to sitting still than an audience of six-year-olds.

Also, this was an international audience of physicists. For many of them, English is a second language, and their skill level when it comes to humor will vary. The slower pace gives them a chance to keep up and not feel embarrassed because they didn't "get it."

The pouch at the side -- perfect!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
Excellent!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OUTSTANDING.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
WOW! Very Very Nice!
...the magic that creates Memories!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you think this routine is funny, you should see his version of The Neutrinos Through the Table.

He also does a really nice production of Schrödinger's Cat. He pulls it out of a Klein Bottle. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
All while doing a Mobius strip. Which, of course, leads into the Afghan Bands.
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
His patter on "Approaching the Event Horizon of a Black Hole" simply spaces everybody out! It's hilarious. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I thought that Möbius strip was accompanied by the Afghan Band.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Now I feel like a lout, for missing the umlaut.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What instruments did the Afghan Band play?

BTW, Bill P. I am bringing a Cups & Balls item to WMS that I bet you have never seen.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
That was really wonderful. I liked how slowly and methodically he worked. Many times, magicians present the cups and balls too quickly, myself included. Great job!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-02-26 09:53, kentfgunn wrote:
Now I feel like a lout, for missing the umlaut.

I cheat. I have a special program called "Accent Composer" that does all of that for me. It is a godsend when you do the kind of translational stuff I do. It does umlauts, ß, ¥, £, ¢, and all sorts of other characters that you find in "farn" languages.

Quote:
On 2010-02-26 10:43, Pete Biro wrote:
What instruments did the Afghan Band play?

BTW, Bill P. I am bringing a Cups & Balls item to WMS that I bet you have never seen.

I think they played a rebabi, a güzli, and a taxi horn.

I look forward to seeing your cup things.

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 11:11am
Tilman is a very nice man. I met him at the Magic Circle Centenary in 2005. That was one of the most wonderful conventions I have ever attended.

I saw many old friends there and met several new ones -- Tommy Wonder, Billy McComb, Johnny Thompson, Ali Bongo, Richard Stupple, Bob Read, Hans Moretti. The acts were great, too.

Some of those are gone. But I have my memories.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Tilman
Thank you very much to all of you.

Mr. Muggle and Bill, thank you for taking the time to give such careful feedback.
I wish I could claim that I'd given the pacing of this routine (in this particular performance, for that particular audience) as much thought as you suggest.
The truth is, I feel naturally drawn to this kind of wordy presentation. Adapting to the audience and the circumstances is something I need to do when I can't perform in this way... I am still learning how to do that.

Bill, while we only talked briefly at the Centenary, I remember that you introduced me to Anderson's term 'part-time pro' (as opposed to 'semi-professional'). I also remember how you emphasized the standards that should come with that label (not less than a professional in any other regard than time...). It was a very interesting conversation.

I wish I could do the neutrinos through the table (I studied philosophy, not physics...). I can do the Mobius strip, though...
Since I moved to Holland from Germany, I've come to be a greater lout with respect to the Umlaut, than should be allowed.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tilman:

You are an invertebrate punster.

You don't have the backbone to avoid a play on words. Smile

That reminds me -- Will Rogers said that he had the best writers in the world -- the United States Congress. Every time they told a joke, it became a law. And every time they passed a law, it was a joke.

Philosophers have a similar situation. Whenever they tell a joke, it just may become a religion. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls performance video (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL