We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mel Meller's Do As I Do Plumes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Ouch.

- Mel's routine is very funny.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5271 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The props under review are top-drawer (well made and colorful) and frankly inexpensive for what you get.

This is basically a Topsy-Turvy Bottles routine done with plumes. So your choices would be the Topsy-Turvy Dollar Bill (best trick of its kind for very small venues and close-up), the “standard” Topsy-turvy Bottles, the Topsy-Turvy Crayons, and the old Topsy-Turvy Bowling Pins (does anyone remember that one?), amongst others.

In terms of packing small (and light) and playing large the plumes are only beat by the Topsy-Turvy Dollar Bills (two bills/notes carried in your wallet – add a couple of paperclips a rubber band and a pencil and you have an entire 15-minute close-up act, but that’s another discussion). However for a prop-based trick the plumes version cannot be beat.

A problem with the Topsy-Turvy routine (any version) is that it just lies there and has no real ending. The laughs are generally at the expense of the helper (clearly the case in Mel’s routine). Topsy-Turvy routines are not all that strong in and of themselves. Frankly there are any number of better/stronger routines that spotlight a helper in a positive way and come to a stronger climax.

There are perhaps two or three magicians that have made it work and had the laughs be on them. I’ve only seen two that had any kind of ending at all.

Mel tries to overcome the lack of ending with a color change. It is better than no ending at all.

Another issue I have with Mel’s routine specifically is that once you take away the presentation/patter of the routine it is pretty flat. Mel’s timing for his lines are impeccable. His lines are caustic but work well for him and his performance persona. I doubt if one performer in a thousand can pull off Mel’s lines with the skill and aplomb he does. All the memorable parts of this routine are in the funny lines and bits of comedy that Mel offers.

So bottom line; IF you want to include a Topsy-Turvy Routine that packs light and small and plays large and colorful then this version and these props will more than do the job for you.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Great review Harry.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Are they still business? I notice on the website it reads it is for sell. I sent an email but got no response yet.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1725 Posts

Profile of wally
Not sure if to buy topsy turvy plumes or bottles, although Mel mellers routine takes some beating, is there anymore comedy routines out there,
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Just a quick note, Jef at Kandu Magic came up with a nice ending for a topsy turvy bottle routine in his "Snake Oil Surprise." You got it... spring snakes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mel Meller's Do As I Do Plumes (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL