The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » John Kaplan's KILLER CUT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Performed this 6 times this past weekend and it got great reactions. As stated above, I bought a bunch of yellow silks and an embroidery hoop and had the spectator draw a picture of me on the silk so we could recreate the famous sawing a person in half illusion. That presentation got a ton of laughs based on the drawings and it provided a great souvenier at the end...not to mention the subtle notion that the drawing precludes the use of a duplicate silk.

As for the paper restoring, the audiences definitely noticed. Allbeit a secondary reaction, it got gasps. Regardless, I like this a lot. Packs super small and is very visual. But best of all, it resets in 30 seconds.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Eric...I purchased this too and it looks very promising. My question to you, can you really reset this on the fly? How well does the "certain adhesive" hold up after several performances?

Rich B.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
He teaches you how to make a really well constructed and reinforced gimmick. As long as you don't accidentally cut it during performance, it should last a very long time. After 6 performances and several practice runs, mine still looks great. Eventually the newspaper will wear out and will need to be replaced, but I bought a sports related tabloid (can't remember the name) that is printed on much heavier paper than most tabloids and it has held up well (other than a few knicks from accidentally cutting it).

As for reset, it literally takes me about 30-45 seconds to reset.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Where can I find this paper on the US east coast. What is "tabloid size"?
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
John told me his paper was 11.5"x12" He says any paper can be used but I am sure we would all like to use what he uses to learn it.
I have one free paper that is smaller but still larger than what he uses. I would say not ANY paper will work since ANY paper would hide too much of the silk.

The search continues.

There is one bad moment for this if you work with people all around. Even with his wonderful suggested "Cheats" as he calls them, there will be some issue if you work say out doors with people on the extreme sides and back. NOte this issue is not for the entire effect but for one crucial parts. Most of his cheats WILL cover any bad angles from what I can tell but it will take some training to learn to automatically know what to do for any given situation.
Even so there is one critical moment to consider this if you are not on a stage.
With practice and comfort with the effect, how brave all depends on the flow and blocking.

Over all I like the idea and the video goes through all the details.
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
This looks great! Might give it a shot. As for the paper try the coupon insert in the Sunday paper. Looks about the same size.
magicgeekone
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of magicgeekone
I watched it a few times before I realized that the newspaper was restored as well as the silk. Not sure if the auidence will pick this up. Would like some reviews
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2010-03-26 10:47, joseph wrote:
No silk(s) included? What size silk will we need to buy?...

Quote:
On 2010-04-15 18:31, Powermagic wrote:
John told me his paper was 11.5"x12" He says any paper can be used but I am sure we would all like to use what he uses to learn it.
I have one free paper that is smaller but still larger than what he uses. I would say not ANY paper will work since ANY paper would hide too much of the silk.

The search continues.

There is one bad moment for this if you work with people all around. Even with his wonderful suggested "Cheats" as he calls them, there will be some issue if you work say out doors with people on the extreme sides and back. NOte this issue is not for the entire effect but for one crucial parts. Most of his cheats WILL cover any bad angles from what I can tell but it will take some training to learn to automatically know what to do for any given situation.
Even so there is one critical moment to consider this if you are not on a stage.
With practice and comfort with the effect, how brave all depends on the flow and blocking.

Over all I like the idea and the video goes through all the details.

Has John confirmed that he used 18" silks? Also, when John mentioned that the newspaper is 11 1/2" X 12", I'm assuming that he is referring to the size of a single page...and not the size of the double page when the newspaper opened. Correct?

BTW, this is a great effect and John's teaching (i.e., both the instructions and the camera angles) on the DVD is superb. This is what any "single effect" DVD should emulate. And, the effect is a killer too. Great ending.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
David Penn,firstly I have no idea what you are talking about regarding jumbo two pound coins and secondly my name isn't Adam. So get your facts right before you come mouthing off on here.
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Sorry the above post is in the wrong thread , many apologies.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I must get killer cut, some great reviews. maybe for my birthday in march.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Do you need to replace the silk each performance?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2011-01-31 21:04, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Do you need to replace the silk each performance?

no
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Still looking for this dvd. will trade. thanks.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Just got killer cut, Which make of silk should I buy. some silks look too thin. Thanks. I am in UK.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Hi Guys,
I just bought this DVD from another Café member. I am curious about something. Can you use something other than newspaper? Maybe a piece of 11 x 17 paper that has printing on it. I'm thinking about presentations before I get the effect.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
You should be able to easily substitute the newspaper with something else such as a poster, or piece of paper with something printed on it. There might need to be a small consideration given to what is printed on the paper at one particuular place but I can't imagine that the very samll performance requirements of such a thing would be restrictive in any way.

And for Wally, any general standard dealer bought silk will be fine.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hi, Just bought this. It seems like a really cool effect. Has anybody played this out in a close up environment. I guess you can cover your angles well even in a close up session? How close to the spectators have you been performing this, and how did it fly?
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
Great effect, DVD goes over all of the important details to construct your gimmick. Making one is pretty painless. the hardest part is finding the correct size newspaper. (Tabloid size) So far the reactions have been mixed, but that goes for any new routine you try to add into your set.
Can be performed close-up, but not surrounded or anyone to the extreme sides. Reset is fast and costs nothing. silk will only need to be replaced when it becomes too soiled and will not clean.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hi Patrick, thaks. I do have the DVD and have prepared the gimmick. I was asking for real life close up performance experience with this effect. How does it fly in close up - how close are you to the audience, or how far do you feel you need to be away to hide the angles?

Real close up experience - any one?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » John Kaplan's KILLER CUT (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL