The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..19~20~21 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I thought this was going to be about you meeting up with an attractive patron at your gig and not having you know, "PROTECTION." As a big bald guy with tattoos, I'm a bit taken back by the stereotype.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I don't feel safe unless my entire country is protected by intercontinental ballistic missiles, B1-B bombers and Ohio Class nuclear submarines. Needless to say, I usually feel pretty safe to whip out my sponge bunnies as I see fit, or not!

The crack-heads, gangbangers, monty gangs, gypsy fortune-tellers, pickpockets and con men who I work around ALL THE TIME as a street entertainer are all getting a right, good, chuckle at the moment, and are all asking where do you live...

BTW- are you actually saying that you sometimes carry a firearm to magic gigs and now always will?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
People love me too much for me to feel threatened. Or maybe it's because I look scarier than they do.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
There is a big difference between thinking that you might be threatened and actually being threatened.
Any performer that would carry a firearm to a kids show is scarier, and a lot sicker, than anyone who might threaten you. If you feel that you need protection, carry a baseball bat.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
How many other Europeans are shaking their heads in silent wonder?
Jolyon Jenkins
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Derrick,

I have been there too... People get a little crazy. You did the right thing on a lot of counts and the feeling you probably have is not so much for your safety and security but the ones around you. You also feel angry and have woulda coulda shoulda's running throught your head like re-runs of Roadhouse with Patrick Swazye.

Like I tell my children, stay in groups if you feel uncomfortable, have your cell phone handy, expect the unexpected. Like Monti I was a trained Security Police Officer in the Service, I can shoot just about anything handed to me and was part of the EST Team too. (SWAT for the people from the 70's)

Keep your head about you and this is a rare instance.

As for the "Just make one more crowd" If your doing the good stuff. It ain't about hammering out a weenie dog. If you are doing the good stuff that wouldn't have appeased the guy either. Unless....

As to finishing off a restaurant.... What I do if I need to leave and it is still busy? I will do a lightening round of wienie dogs as I explain to people that I am sorry and need to go but everyone will get something not the amazing things like you saw earlier but something.

People still get ****ed and kids don't listen but it is the best to do.

Watch your time and your timing. stay close to the door and get paid early.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
How many other Europeans are shaking their heads in silent wonder?
Jolyon Jenkins
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 02:58, ERIC wrote:
"I do have a carry permit and usually (not always) have her old service pistol (40 mm Beretta) with me."

I have heard of a 9mm or 10mm, even a 45 calbre, I've carried all three on the job, but a 40 mm shell would be 1&5/8 inches across. I don't believe anyone makes a handgun like that.

Case solved:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte......48085641
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
*hesitatingly raises hand*

But after some people almost lnyching me for a handbag being stolen during my back room impromptu performance, I'm starting to think differently.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I have to agree with Eric - we had grenade launchers with 40mm gas shells and rubber riot control balls; these shells were huge. Those Beretta clips in the auction had to be 40 calibre, not 40mm - huge difference but an easy mistake to make.

Still...pull out a 40mm handgun and you WILL get my attention right away! Smile
What was that phrase? A silly millimeter longer...

In my younger days as a street performer (and off-duty cop), I carried a licensed 9mm in the small of my back, but I would never think of carrying a firearm into a contracted or private event.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I should have written 40 caliber, my fault. They changed over from 9mm years ago. We didn't keep that one.

No, I will not carry anything of the sort into a gig, but yes I think I will have it in the car.

And as any performer knows, body language tells you more about a person's intentions than verbal communication. It doesn't take a person in your face saying he plans to kick your head in to know that's what he wants to do. When an obviously intimidating looking person follows you to another location (It could just as easily been to my home.) and lets you know it isn't just a coincidence he is there, then I think I have every right to be concerned about safety.

As far as making extra balloons, there is no amount of balloons to finish off the crowd. This is a very busy restaurant that seats over 400 and is packed until around 9 p.m. No matter how many balloons one makes before, there will never be enough, you simply have to cut off the line somewhere and stick to it. If you make one more, then you have made the decision to work for free until the place is closed because now you are in a situation of "well you made him/her one and they got here after the line was cut off.

On really busy nights I will usually just perform magic but some nights start slow and then a huge crowd hits and you are stuck in balloon mode. As many know, if you make one, get ready to do them the rest of the night.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I never carry when I am at a gig. My pistol will be in my car but not on me. Most other times I have it on me within the boundries of the law. Having a gun on you would not have helped this situation, however, if the situation became the worse case, you would be very happy to have a way to protect yourself.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Guns and Prejudice. Both termed as "protection" and both, IMO, epic fallacies.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
There are many views on this here is one I heard a long time ago "A recent FBI study showed that police officers who are killed in the line of duty rarely even fire a round at their assailant, and frequently the police officer's own firearm is taken from him/her and used against him/her. An FBI study of 51 incidents where 54 police officers were killed found that 85% did not fire their weapon while 20% were killed with their own gun" if the trained police are in danger from criminals just think how Joe Blow will fare. He who lives by the sword...

got the quote from here: http://homepage.usask.ca/~sta575/cdn-fir......rry.html
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I misunderstood this thread. Do you carry protection to gigs? I thought you were talking about condoms.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
That joke's been made.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 10:45, Tim Dowd wrote:
There are many views on this here is one I heard a long time ago "A recent FBI study showed that police officers who are killed in the line of duty rarely even fire a round at their assailant, and frequently the police officer's own firearm is taken from him/her and used against him/her. An FBI study of 51 incidents where 54 police officers were killed found that 85% did not fire their weapon while 20% were killed with their own gun" if the trained police are in danger from criminals just think how Joe Blow will fare. He who lives by the sword...

Another interesting thing I once learned. A trained police officer when in the heat of the moment needs to pull a gun and fire will usually fire 2 shots into the ground before the gun is even aimed at the would be attacker. Why is this important? Well if a officer that has gone through that many years of training still has all those nerves how are you going to fair? Odds are you would be killed before you ever got the gun even aimed right. And that's shooting off a holster on the hip! If you carry it in the front of your pants or pack of your pants you are probably going to either shoot of your manhood or from the back possibly shoot rounds at people to the left or right of the situation. Taking a gun for magic seems laughable to me. You have a better chance of being killed at a school than pulling a bunny from your hat.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I still can't believe Pepka followed your into a store and glared at you.
He seemed nice enough when I met him in Vegas.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 13:11, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 10:45, Tim Dowd wrote:

Another interesting thing I once learned. A trained police officer when in the heat of the moment needs to pull a gun and fire will usually fire 2 shots into the ground before the gun is even aimed at the would be attacker. Why is this important? Well if a officer that has gone through that many years of training still has all those nerves how are you going to fair? Odds are you would be killed before you ever got the gun even aimed right. And that's shooting off a holster on the hip! If you carry it in the front of your pants or pack of your pants you are probably going to either shoot of your manhood or from the back possibly shoot rounds at people to the left or right of the situation. Taking a gun for magic seems laughable to me. You have a better chance of being killed at a school than pulling a bunny from your hat.

The same report being quoted also says the following:

Permit holders need concern themselves with only one thing: protecting themselves from a sudden, violent assault that threatens life or grievous bodily injury. Rape, robbery, and attempted murder are not typically actions rife with ambiguity or subtlety, requiring special powers of observation, great book-learning, or a stint at the police academy to discern. When a man pulls a knife on a woman and says, "You're coming with me," her judgment that a crime is being committed is not likely to be in error.

Police, by contrast, do not carry arms solely for the purpose of defending themselves, but also for the purpose of enforcing the law. They deliberately inject themselves into potentially dangerous and violent situations, responding to calls for assistance, investigating crimes, intervening in domestic violence, and making arrests.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Well shoot Pepka, why didn't you just say hello! Why you have to scare the h@ll out of me:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL