The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Your nationalistic reaction makes you wrong on several accounts, Europe would not be speaking German, it would be speaking Russian (even if I'm very and deeply grateful to the boys who did risk or lose their life in western Europe, Germany was essentially defeated at the cost of 27 million Russian people) Now you may also remember that this "Free country" that I love -to the point that most of my children are living there and one of them is American- , without Europe would not even be a "country" at all: ever heard of the battle of Yorktown where George Washington or any of the Founding Fathers wasn't even present. It's always touchy to call on gratitude with long time friends to escape justified criticism, because, over time, major gestures have gone back and forth. If you really feel friendly to someone it means that you accept his critics and allow him to disagree with you on some topics: otherwise it's not a friend, it's a just a submissive flatterer.

It's a fact that Europeans are not systematically afraid for their police force (perceived as public servants) because European police forces don't have systematically to be afraid for armed citizen. Naturally there are exceptions to every rule but this is a fair statement in most western European countries.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
There is absolutely nothing wrong with carrying condoms to a gig. After all, you might get lucky! Watch out you don't get shot by a jealous husband though! Hahahah! What? The thread was about *guns*??? (Best Emily Litella voice) *"Never mind!"*
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Lawrence, Good points and message received...sometimes my emotions get the better of me...
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Protection suggestions (and I speak as a European).

If you want to carry a weapon then know how to use it and use it under stress. That way you will be effective and not be on the receiving end of your item.

If you know how to use it, make sure you don't see every problem as requiring it. That way you will stay with a clear conscience and out of jail.

If you don't know HOW and IF to use the weapon then maybe leave it at home/ in the bag?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I want to reiterate something I said much earlier in this "conversation". As a street performer I find it HIGHLY amusing that such a discussion is to be had about bringing loaded guns into a gig in which you have been paid to perform. I have been in several situations where the threat of physical violence loomed quite large, and looking back I can honestly say that a gun in the scenario would only have made things much, MUCH worse...

Truly the height of absurdity that has ever been reached on this forum (of course I understand that most of the dialog here is just numerous people "saber rattling" on this side of the old 2nd amendment argument or the other)...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
A huge part of me wishes I hadn't written the last post! Sleeping dogs and all that...

LOL!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Maybe we can re-name the thread and give it a different slant, how about;
Do soldiers carry Chop Cups in battle?
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Quote:
On 2011-01-05 16:30, gaddy wrote:
A huge part of me wishes I hadn't written the last post! Sleeping dogs and all that...

LOL!

Now you know how I feel.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1357 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I have been very entertained my this thread.

I love reading both sides of this.

Of course the power of our minds and speech and reasoning "should" be able to get us out of trouble.
I have gotten out of trouble many many times with my quick wit, and mind, a a trick.

But depending on the circumstances, it is a good idea to have a back up plan.

It is also a good idea to evaluate a situation, and try to avoid getting in it in the first place.
As I am getting older, I am "seeing with my mind" things I have not seen before, and and sense more things and try to stay away from any potential hazards.

But I live in NEW ORLEANS.

So I have to be extra careful.

Our new mayor put a cop on almost every corner, and crime is down.
But I work a lot in the "zone" and a lot of my co-workers are "models".

So I still carry 100%
latex, because you never know when one of those ladies of the night might give you something.

ACE Smile
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Don't you just love it when people resurrect old flame wars?
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
HerraTaikuri
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
60 Posts

Profile of HerraTaikuri
What good would a gun do if someone threated you on a gig? If someone attacks you from closer than say 15m (and I find it unlikely that someone would) you would have really hard time to pull a gun from a holster, (and even harder from your bag or some concealed holster etc) aiming and firing (excluding the need maybe to remove safety etc first) before the attacker would reach you and beat the ¤¤¤¤ out of you. Tested in real life (not by me though) and that's why I stick to martial arts.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1357 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I am so glad I brought my protection tonight: latex (a bag of 260 animals balloons).
The Alcohol Vendors and distributors are in town.
It was a gig for Red Bull, and they had models literally wearing nothing but Wings(red bull gives you wings!)
All the gentlemen at the gig wanted me to show the tricks to to ladies, as it made good opening conversation so they could talk to them. So I was very polite and did my thing.

Anyway, my lips are sealed...

ACE Smile
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2340 Posts

Profile of todsky
Interesting article on how the NRA has suppressed government studies on gun violence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/us/26guns.html?_r=1&hp
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
In every State that has adopted a "shall issue" law, under which the law enforcement authorities (usually the High Sheriff of the County) are required to issue a concealed carry permit to any law-abiding adult citizen who meets certain very basic qualifications, (38 States at last count), violent crimes against persons are significantly down. The highest murder rates in the United States are in urban areas of States that have severe and strict gun control laws. There are a lot of reasons for that, way too controversial to discuss here, but the actual statistics, broken down in demographic detail, are worthy of consideration.

It is clear, however, that a disarmed, helpless citizenry is an invitation to miscreants, bullies, thugs, and criminals.

The police are not there to protect you from a specific crime. They are there to protect the community in general from crime, and they do that by apprehending criminals after the fact. When you call 911, they have no liability if they don't get there until it is too late. Help that is only minutes away does you no good when death is seconds away.

HerraTaikuri is absolutely correct about the very short time period available for a reaction. A man with a knife can get from 20 or 30 feet away from you to "bad breath distance" in 2 seconds. That's why a double-action revolver carried in your pocket is a better solution, in my humble opinion, than a semi-automatic. Being inherently safe, a revolver has no safety to fumble with, and if you carry it with an empty chamber (as Israelis are trained to do, incidentally, and they have some experience of dealing with motivated attackers) you don't have to worry about racking the slide. Since it is carried in your pocket, you can unobtrusively and non-threateningly have your hand on it as soon as you become concerned about the possibility of a social engagement. (Of course that won't leave very much room for cards, coins, or sponge balls.)

Woland

PS Lawrence O, you are right about Russian domination of Western Europe absent Anglo-American involvement in WWII, and the figure of 25 to 27 million Soviet deaths in the Second World War is often cited, but rests on limited documentation, and probably includes millions who were killed not by Germans but by Stalin's henchmen.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2011-01-05 16:30, gaddy wrote:

LOL!

Too late now mate!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL