The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..19~20~21 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-03-06 13:51, griffindance wrote:
I've only skipped through most of this thread but I've got to say,

"Most of you are serious nutters!"

Seriously now. You are magicians. We make people say "Wow!" "Cool!" and if we're really good "Oh My Gawd!" You are talking about bringing weapons to shows. This post started with a story about childrens entertainment. Even if you regularly do shows for the Crips, Gypsy Jokers or your local italian 'businessmans' association you are Entertainers and your main concern is to leave your clients/client's guests happy. Nothing dampens an evening quite like seeing the happy magician punch out Brian from accounting.

Although the more militant types may already be starting their hunt for the bleeding hearts liberal I do have a point.

Angry parents, drunk party guests, or just juvenile attention seekers can ruin a nights fun for you and your clients. Most of these people who would give grief to a magician just want attention in the form of aggravation. don't give it to them! Derren Brown has a nice technique for getting rid of offstage hecklers - Talk to them. Five minutes breathing at someone (even if it was their sprog who kicked you and then tried to steal your doves and rabbits) is a much more sensible approach than having to explain why the .32 calibre zipwand killed a father, two minors and blew off your hand.

The people who understand what you are saying already know this, and the ones who don't are not going to stop yammering about the size of their "zip-wands", the cost/benefit ratio of hollow point vs. metal jacket, or how dangerous those tattooed bikers who didn't get their balloons are anyhow.

A polite conversation on this subject at, say, the hospitality suite of a decent magic convention would have stalled from awkward silences and attempts to change the subject a dozen times over, but this IS the internet, you know...

Maybe a couple of real... um... "gun aficionados" would have retired back to their respective hotel rooms to admire each other's, um... collections... But anyone with a clue would have realized this topic isn't, nay cannot, go anywhere constructive from this point on.

PS- Brian in accounting had it coming.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
OK gaddy, you can't be an "Agent of Chaos" with an attitude like that. Seriously though you are probably right about how constructive any of this is at this point. Regarding this situation, I really wasn't aware the guy was angry until the parent of another child let me know he was standing off the side steaming mad. By the time I finished the line he was no longer inside the restaurant. I thought he had gone home until he passed me with the same steaming mad look on his face at Best Buy 15 or so minutes later. I frankly removed myself from the store as quickly as possible so there would not be a confrontation. My feeling at the time, and still is, that it wouldn't have been prudent to try to talk to this guy.
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Gaddy,

Quote:
On 2010-02-27 15:01, gaddy wrote:
Before this degenerates into a general "gun rights" or "the best type of ammunition" thread, I'd like to bring us back to the original point of the thread which ran along the lines of bring in firearms to one's magic gigs "for protection" -Which strikes me as one of the most absurd subjects I've ever encountered on the Magic Café.

This one was constructive. Especially calling it the most absurd subject you've ever encountered on the Magic Café. Yet, you continue to post.

Quote:
On 2010-02-25 04:47, gaddy wrote:
I don't feel safe unless my entire country is protected by intercontinental ballistic missiles, B1-B bombers and Ohio Class nuclear submarines. Needless to say, I usually feel pretty safe to whip out my sponge bunnies as I see fit, or not!

The crack-heads, gangbangers, monty gangs, gypsy fortune-tellers, pickpockets and con men who I work around ALL THE TIME as a street entertainer are all getting a right, good, chuckle at the moment, and are all asking where do you live...

BTW- are you actually saying that you sometimes carry a firearm to magic gigs and now always will?

Another constructive comment. I like the comment of the crackheads laughing at him! Smile

Quote:

The people who understand what you are saying already know this, and the ones who don't are not going to stop yammering about the size of their "zip-wands", the cost/benefit ratio of hollow point vs. metal jacket, or how dangerous those tattooed bikers who didn't get their balloons are anyhow.

A polite conversation on this subject at, say, the hospitality suite of a decent magic convention would have stalled from awkward silences and attempts to change the subject a dozen times over, but this IS the internet, you know...

Maybe a couple of real... um... "gun aficionados" would have retired back to their respective hotel rooms to admire each other's, um... collections... But anyone with a clue would have realized this topic isn't, nay cannot, go anywhere constructive from this point on.

Boy this comment was sure constructive. Especially all the sexual induendos. Talk about yammering .... Besides if YOU had a CLUE you'd know it's not the SIZE of your "Zip Wand" it's how you USE IT! Smile

Come on. What did you expect with a question like: I twist balloons. Should I carry a Gun?

It's a personal choice to carry or not carry a firearm. His choice. Is it right or wrong? Well he has to determine that. Most of the comments are just people having fun and making jokes, just like you've been doing, Gaddy.

For those that really don't have a clue ZIP WAND = JOKE! I personally don't own a gun or carry any kind of weapon on me ever. Never would. But that's MY choice.

Besides you can kill more people with a balloon. It's the #1 choking hazard in the world. Balloons have killed more kids than guns have! Think about that.

Excuse my yammering, but it is the Internet you know ... Smile

Metatron
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-03-06 18:27, Metatron wrote:
This one was constructive. Especially calling it the most absurd subject you've ever encountered on the Magic Café. Yet, you continue to post.

I'm a big fan of absurdity. What can I say... Smile

Quote:
On 2010-03-06 18:27, Metatron wrote:
Another constructive comment. I like the comment of the crackheads laughing at him! Smile

Thanks! I'm glad my sarcastic wit shines thru! It actually took me a couple of minutes to come up with exactly the right words to use there. And let me tell you, those crackheads were no help whatsoever.
Quote:
Quote:

Boy this comment was sure constructive. Especially all the sexual induendos. Talk about yammering .... Besides if YOU had a CLUE you'd know it's not the SIZE of your "Zip Wand" it's how you USE IT! Smile

I wasn't talking about what Brian did, I was talking about what was done TO him. Boy, you've got a dirty mind... Smile

Quote:
Come on. What did you expect with a question like: I twist balloons. Should I carry a Gun?

About 12 pages of responses by now. These guys don't know JACK about guns or the relative benefits of hollow points, rigging your own zip guns, or the FPS of a and stopping power of a .45 acp...

Actually, THAT summary of this thread, put in those words, is really quite funny!
Quote:
It's a personal choice to carry or not carry a firearm. His choice. Is it right or wrong? Well he has to determine that. Most of the comments are just people having fun and making jokes, just like you've been doing, Gaddy.

Which is also a right (or rather, a privilege, here on the Café -which is owned by Mr. Brooks who graciously allows to enjoy the conversation here...)
Quote:
Besides you can kill more people with a balloon. It's the #1 choking hazard in the world. Balloons have killed more kids than guns have! Think about that.

Guns don't kill people, statistics do.

Quote:
Excuse my yammering, but it is the Internet you know ... Smile

Metatron

I couldn't have put it better myself.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Gaddy,

Your hilarious! Smile

Thanks. You made my day!

Metatron

P.S. I better get out of TROLL mode before I actually upset someone.

Great thread Derrick. I know it was serious question, worthy of pondering. But you got to admit that some of the humor posted in this thread was pretty funny (in a sick kinda way Smile )
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
griffindance
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of griffindance
I used to work with this short english guy in Australia. Shakespearean actor type. We would do various types of gigs. Magic, dance shows, modelling shows corporate events and I never saw him lose control in front of a client and rarely in front of the guests. One nightclub gig was a Living Statue gig for some Alco-pop promotion. Hence these drinks were all half price. He had scared some neanderthal type group of women who all screamed and then squealed in delight at each other and disappeared into the club. After an hour we were getting ready to leave and one comes back. She had been taking full advantage of the promotion and had decided that we had embarrassed her and owed her money(??). After the club security seperated her from us we left to our car, only to be followed by her and one more of the group. I managed to get my mate into the car without her as well, inspite of her attempts. And with her screaming abuse at us and standing in front of my car she decides that spitting at the windshield is going to make us change heart and hand over our money. At this point my friend, who has until now been maintaining the 'Statue' act steps out of the car and lets loose. Dressed as a grecian statue and covered with gold body paint he booms away for an entire minute (without swearing) calling her some of the most atrocious things ("arse" re - her face. With a broad english shakespearean voice it means donkey) and suggesting that her time would be better spent at home with her friend (something to do with flaps, having to find them) although she had probably been doing some of that (licking of said found flaps) already tonight as her breath stunk of urinal cakes. Neanderthal woman was so shocked by this personal assessment and suggestion of future recreational activities that she stepped back away from the car, tripped over the curb and sat down where she fell. My mate got back in the car and calmly said "I think that did it. Lets go!"

Job finished, no runnng away necessary, client happy, Wild drunken potatoe okka dealt with.

In spite of my "Lets all just be friends" attitude its only because I want the client to pay up and even re-book.

However Brian from accounting always deserves what he gets!!
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Great post griffindance! I really laughed imagining this happening.
Sometimes you have to do what it takes to diffuse a situation. Diplomacy usually works, but you can't reason with a drunk.
I think ya'll did the right thing.

In the 70's I was a teenager. I was at the Greyhound bus station in New Orleans, coming from a weekend at my uncles house, headed back to the suburbs. I had to wait in the bus lot for the bus. There were people scattered around, but I was standing there alone.
A couple of small wanna-be thugs walked up to me and asked if I had any money. I said no, and showed them a trick. It was one where the picture of Houdini vanished out of his chains in a little plastic box. Then the guy wanted to know where the little man went. I said he disappeared. Then the dominant thug was saying "tell me where the little man is, or I will cut you!" So I pulled out a long rope and silk and went into a big elaborate routine, raising my voice, and it drew a crowd, and I got subtly got the attention of the security(I looked like a punk kid in tie-dye and long hair at the time). I said loud how I was "the magician" and positioned myself closer to the security guy. The wanna be thugs faded away. By then the bus had pulled in and I boarded and went home. I was never scared, I'm was too belligerent. I'm still kind of like that, even though I mellowed out a little in my older age, Smile

ACE
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I skipped about a bit in this five page thread but have some thoughts to add...

Fake gun sounds are not a good idea. Many people carry real guns, not just in Texas.

Being "tough" is a bad idea unless you have no out. Avoiding the fight is the best out. You never lose a fight you are not in and it is important to emphasize these are not school yard fights...the other person will probably try to kill you and one lucky strike can end things before you can act. You are not immortal.

Concealed weapons charges could bite you in the butt too.

I recommend the Cold Steel Sharkie. It is a pen/marker designed to be used as a kubotan/Yawara stick. You basically have a small rod of steel-like material (the marker is made of the same substance as a police night stick) in your hand and it doesn't look like a weapon. Not real complicated to use (start smashing with the narrow end of it to anywhere bone is near skin) but you need to be aware that strikes in the neck and head could be lethal.

Amazon sells them as does the manufacturer ( http://www.coldsteel.com/sharkies.html) and many others. The clip they say is for putting it in a shirt pocket doesn't work well (too loose) but the rest of it works as advertised and fits well in a pants pocket.

Don't be an internet tough guy in real life...you will get hurt. The Sharkie will not beat a gun at a distance but in close quarters it is who gets off first that usually counts. Fighting should always be a last resort, things never go as you rehearse in the gym.

Overall, though, I would not take self-defense advise from a magic board without checking it with those who really know first.
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
A lot of gun haters on hear. One fact is More people die every day in car accidents than by bullets. Out of concern for safety should vehicles be outlawed? Reading the original post I don't think the guy threatened the magician in question, how ever I can see how that would be very intimidating. Another fact is people have been getting murdered for thousands of years before the gun was invented. I do not feel the need to carry but do support the constitutional right to do so.

earlier somebody wrote" Europeans are shaking their heads in wonder". So am I because in England the police will blow their whistles shake their sticks and ask the criminals with guns to stop. Then they hope they do.

When citizens are armed violent crime drops. When citizens are not armed they can become targets.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Dear Tim,

I fear you have misunderstood the article you read, or are deliberately trying to mis-inform this point. The quote you pulled is a quote from "For example, the Handgun Control, Inc. pamphlet, "Carrying Concealed Weapons--Questions and Answers," notes the following:" that the article was quoting as a point to refute, rather than one it supports.

HCI is an ANTI-GUN ORGANIZATION, notorious for fabricating statistics and all their points have been refuted time and time again, by FBI and DOJ records and files. At the end of that quote is a link to the follow up data.

The basic premise of the article is that violent crime DROPPED Wherever right to carry was implemented. Having "guns in the streets" never caused a problem for the police or general citizenry.

Quote:
On 2010-02-25 10:45, Tim Dowd wrote:
There are many views on this here is one I heard a long time ago "A recent FBI study showed that police officers who are killed in the line of duty rarely even fire a round at their assailant, and frequently the police officer's own firearm is taken from him/her and used against him/her. An FBI study of 51 incidents where 54 police officers were killed found that 85% did not fire their weapon while 20% were killed with their own gun" if the trained police are in danger from criminals just think how Joe Blow will fare. He who lives by the sword...

got the quote from here: http://homepage.usask.ca/~sta575/cdn-fir......rry.html
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Metatron,

See! I knew we could come up with something more important to argue about. Smile

Quote:
On 2010-03-02 11:23, Metatron wrote:

" How many legally armed citizens attack unarmed citizens with handguns in your area? This is what I mean about not recognizing the reality that exists outside of the emotion. "

The fact is most accidental gun deaths do involve a registered weapon. Criminals shooting guns are not considered accidents. Metatron

This is called mis reading statistics to make your point. Kinda like saying "most dui arrests are of ADULTS, so all adults are bad".

Sure "accidental gun deaths" are made with registered weapons, because CRIMINAL gun deaths" aren't accidents. Either caused by criminals or done to criminals. When you add those to the equation the numbers are put into perspective.

There are a whole lot of ( more in fact) kids killed every year by 5 gallon buckets that guns. Just so ya know. Smile
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
A lot of overkill advocated here.

A guy felt threatened in an electronics store.

How is carrying a weapon going to prevent that? It's not. What are you going to do, brandish your pistol and tell him to back off? Good luck explaining that to the cops.
If he was legitimately threatened, dial 911 - everyone has a right to carry a concealed mobile phone.
Do I carry protection to a gig? Yes, I carry a mobile phone. (And before you make assumptions and call me a "gun hater", I got my first rifle at age 13.)
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I can't believe this thread is still going Smile I am just glad I live where this is a moot point... Bavarian Bier get's you drunk from the feet up - so everyone's happy and those who are grumpy can't stand up...

to tell you the truth I didn't even read the article I quoted, I was just looking on the internet for something to corroborate my view that carrying a gun is dangerous; looks like you got me...

Prost!

Quote:
On 2010-03-16 10:50, KirkG wrote:
Dear Tim,

I fear you have misunderstood the article you read, or are deliberately trying to mis-inform this point. The quote you pulled is a quote from "For example, the Handgun Control, Inc. pamphlet, "Carrying Concealed Weapons--Questions and Answers," notes the following:" that the article was quoting as a point to refute, rather than one it supports.

HCI is an ANTI-GUN ORGANIZATION, notorious for fabricating statistics and all their points have been refuted time and time again, by FBI and DOJ records and files. At the end of that quote is a link to the follow up data.

The basic premise of the article is that violent crime DROPPED Wherever right to carry was implemented. Having "guns in the streets" never caused a problem for the police or general citizenry.

Quote:
On 2010-02-25 10:45, Tim Dowd wrote:
There are many views on this here is one I heard a long time ago "A recent FBI study showed that police officers who are killed in the line of duty rarely even fire a round at their assailant, and frequently the police officer's own firearm is taken from him/her and used against him/her. An FBI study of 51 incidents where 54 police officers were killed found that 85% did not fire their weapon while 20% were killed with their own gun" if the trained police are in danger from criminals just think how Joe Blow will fare. He who lives by the sword...

got the quote from here: http://homepage.usask.ca/~sta575/cdn-fir......rry.html

Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I have to say that, in the store I was surprised and a bit alarmed and I did leave pretty quickly. So what if instead of following me into the store to give me a little scare, this guy was waiting for me in the parking lot and he doesn't feel like giving me the time to dial 911 and wait for the police to show up???
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Well, another argument against having handguns around.

A world-famous illusionist will spend a year in San Luis Obispo County Jail for firing a gun at his wife last year during an argument at their rural Arroyo Grande home.

Claude Douglas Yarbrough, whose stage name is Jonathan Pendragon, pleaded no contest Tuesday to two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon for the July 8 shooting.

The 55-year-old magician will be sentenced to a year in jail April 13.

Get the whole story here:

http://www.santamariatimes.com/news/loca......de=story
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Yeah, but that really doesn't fly, because again he is the exception rather than the rule. And now, he will no longer be able to have guns as per the current regulations on the books. So no new gun laws needed.

I know you meant your comment "tongue in cheek" (TIC), but there are literal minded individuals that only want to find "words on the net" that support a position rather than actually read and understand the facts. And we all know, if it is written on the web, it must be true! Smile

I do, however, wish both Jonathan and Charlotte the best and hope they are able to put this incident behind them, get the help they need, and then continue to have a long a fruitful life.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2010-03-16 15:02, derrick wrote:
I have to say that, in the store I was surprised and a bit alarmed and I did leave pretty quickly. So what if instead of following me into the store to give me a little scare, this guy was waiting for me in the parking lot and he doesn't feel like giving me the time to dial 911 and wait for the police to show up???

What if?

What if he had a sniper rifle and waited at 500 yards?
What if he he put a bomb under your car?
What if he held all of Best Buy hostage until you twisted a balloon for his kid?
What if he was a cannibal?
What if he hid in your back seat and waited for you to pull into the garage?

If it's all about the "what if's", I'd never leave the house!

According to your description of the incident, he gave you a dirty look, and this thread has turned into an international 2nd Amendment Rights fest?

And so far, in six pages, not one working magician has reported actually being robbed at gun point when leaving a cash paying show!
I don't get it, did I miss something?

Can't we just talk about the pros and cons of using cloth napkins as impromptu close up mats for our chop cup routine?
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I did watch a guy get shot at point blank range at work. Does that count? The police arrived very quickly, but not quick enough for the guy on the ground.

Most of the time we can avoid violent confrontations, but when I can't I like to know I have something to fall back on rather that waiting for the police to arrive to put up the crime scene tape and chalk out the outline of my body on the concrete.

I think you hit a very important point here. The actual subset of magicians getting held up is very small. Probably because we are a small subset of the population and work in nice locations with lots of light.

I think most of us, by virtue of our performing ability, don't get into confrontations and can diffuse them by humor, too.

My protection was six guys over 6'-5" who surrounded whoever was being "tacky" and walking him out of the venue, when I worked at the So Cal Ren Faire in Agoura. Very effective deterrent. Now it is just me and six slightly smaller friends, but they are very fast. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Kirk, you're cracking me up.

.... slightly smaller! Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL