The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
To carry or not carry is not the question. The question is do you know WHEN you have the right to shoot anyone in self-defense? Because someone LOOKS like they are a danger to you does not merit a bullet between the eyes. In America you can get a CWP (Concealed weapons permit) but you have to show cause for having one. "I do balloon animals at parties." would most likely NOT get you the CWP. Remember we are there to entertain. I understand cutting the line etc. but I would recommend some kind of a little gift for those who didn't get in (attached to a signed business card of yours). In this world a little kindness goes a long way. Also I might recommend one thing as well. Never be the one who cuts the line. Explain to the person who hired you that THEY will need to have someone do that when needed. You are the entertainer not the door-man.

Hope this helps.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Eric,

Quote:
In America you can get a CWP (Concealed weapons permit) but you have to show cause for having one. "I do balloon animals at parties." would most likely NOT get you the CWP.

Actually, that sort of "show cause" restriction only applies in California, Hawaii, Iowa, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Massachusetts.

It is legally impossible for a civilian to carry a concealed weapon in Wisconsin and Illinois and the safe, low-crime District of Columbia (and, practically speaking, next to impossible in New Jersey, parts of New York {depending on the county}, and Maryland.)

In Vermont and Alaska, no permit is required to carry a weapon either openly or concealed. Any law-abiding adult in those states can carry a weapon without any specific police vetting process. (Alaska issues permits so that its residents can enjoy reciprocity with other states. In Vermont there are no permits at all.) On July 29, next week, Arizona will no longer require a permit for concealed carry, but will continue to issue permits to any law-abiding adult residents who want one for reciprocity with other states.

In the vast majority of states, 40 if you count Alaska and Arizona, the issuing authority, usually the county sheriff, is required by law to issue a concealed carry permit to any adult who meets certain basic qualifications (e.g., not a felon, not under any restraining orders, never committed to a psychiatric hospital, not an habitual drunkard or drug user, etc.) You most certainly do not have to "show cause" as to why you need to have one. In states that ask for a reason to have the permit, "self defense" would be the box to check, and that would be considered plenty enough reason for it.

I hope you find this information helpful, and I wish you continued good magic, too!

Woland
MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
As the original topic was asking if you carry protection, I will speak to that. Yes, I carry a Glock 22 .40 SW everywhere. I perform a lot in Philadelphia late at night so I always feel safer with it. I also carry a Swiss Army knife because those things are just so handy!
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I think it is also important to mention, that many Brady statistics are outright lies. There are many sites devoted to debunking their publications.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
MrBadGuy
I also perform in Philadelphia late at night, and I always carry a cell phone. I used to carry a Swiss Army knife, but they confiscated it at the Airport the last time I flew. Stop giving Philly a bad name. Just what neighborhoods do you work in that you need a gun to protect you from the boogie man?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
With all the post on the Café' this is the one with the most legs. You guys....
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
" In America you can get a CWP (Concealed weapons permit) but you have to show cause for having one. "I do balloon animals at parties." would most likely NOT get you the CWP."
Yep it will, all you have to add is "and I carry large amounts of cash after being paid." That's what I told them and it got me my CWP. I have never carried when entertaining, but do carry when on the road and have over $100 in cash with me. If Igo to a state or jurisdiction when carrying is not allowed I follow the adage "I would rather be tried by 12 men, good and true, than carried by 6." Just my feelings, to each his own.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Quote:
On 2010-08-02 11:54, Paddy wrote:
"I would rather be tried by 12 men, good and true, than carried by 6."

Paddy, it's been a long time since I've heard that adage. My old karate instructor (27 years ago) used that one. He was asked once by a student what karate techniques he would use if he were jumped in a bar by 3 guys. My instructor said he'd grab a bottle off the bar, a pool cue, a chair...whatever was handy, because he'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

patrick
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Paddy,

You are a wise man. I first learned that sage advice from a poem posted in a filling station off I-84 in Connecticut, about State Troopers and their responsibility to secure "their road." The station also had a note taped to the cash register, which said, "This station is protected by 2 12-gauge shotguns, 2 days a week. You guess which 2."

In 40 of the 50 states, no reason for a concealed carry permit is needed. The sheriff "shall" issue one to any law-abiding adult who meets the basic qualifications. Alaska and Arizona do not require a permit for concealed carry, but the sheriff "shall" issue one to residents who request one for use in other states.

In 7 states, the sheriff "may" issue a permit if he sees fit. In roughly half of them, obtaining such a permit is nearly impossible.

In 2 states (Wisconsin and Illinois) and the District of Columbia, there is no civilian concealed carry permit.

In Vermont, no permit for either open or concealed carry is required. There is no permit process at all, but some sheriffs will sign a "good citizen" letter for residents who think it might be useful out of state.

Woland
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Woland,
I enjoy reading your posts, whether I agree or disagree.

The fact that Jefferson was against slavery to the point of drafting those words you reference, yet, owned slaves.....I'm searching for the word....hypocracy comes to mind. So, the constitution was written using the "do as I say, but not as I do" method.

Would I have done any better in 1776? I'd like to think so, but no way to prove that one way or the other.
patrick
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Patrick,

Thank you for enjoying my comments. They are intended to entertain and instruct, but I do not expect much less require that any reader agree with everything or even anything I have to say.

I don't think that Th. Jefferson, Geo. Washington, and Geo. Mason were hypocrites. They did not create the world into which they were born, and all knew, to varying degress, that their livelihoods depended on an immoral institution that Mason wrote was poisonous to private and public life. To planters in the South, as shown in the Mississippi declarations on the necessity of secession, all of the world's wealth derived from agricultural production that they were sure could only be produced by slaves.

Washington, at least, freed all the slaves that he personally owned, at his death.

The Declaration of Independence includes a statement regarding the origin of our rights and liberty that includes all people. It was intended to include all people. The fact that it was not perfectly enacted at the time of its original promulgation does not take away from what it says, or from what it has meant, and continues to mean in our country, and for the world.

The significance of the Declaration was discussed at greater length by Abraham Lincoln during his debates with Stephen A. Douglas. Harry Jaffa wrote, "Lincoln did not appeal to the Declaration of Independence merely because it was our first and foremost founding document. It was, he said, the immortal emblem of man's humanity and the father of all moral principle because it incorporated a rational, nonarbitrary moral and political standard. The equality of man and man was a necessary inference from the inequality of man and beast — and of man and God. No one possessed of a civilized conscience can fail to feel this sympathy. The empirical evidence bears Lincoln out."

The Lincoln-Douglas debates are on line. They are well worth reading. One caveat: when you consider the level of political discourse that candidates for public office reached in this country in 1858, you may become discouraged with what we are served with today.

Woland
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Woland....discouraged? or discouraged EVEN MORE??

I, still, maintain the job of president should come with a $100,000,000/term salary. That should encourage more qualified candidates to apply.
If athletes, entertainers, CEO's can make $20,000,000 a year, surely, the leader of the free world could be compensated in like.
patrick
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
But he would have to earn it to quality to receive it.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Interesting fact, I just met a kids magician that carries to every show! Of course it is a requirement for his "other" job.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Woland thank you for the information---it is good to know. I personally never carry a weapon. I do however keep an open eye on what's going on. I perform in some pretty nice places and it's mostly day time venues. I know things can happen then too but I just don't carry one. California is pretty strict. But on a personal note I still don't feel I'd carry it to a show. Almost all of my shows I'm paid up-front and in advance with a money back option if anyone feels my show was not entertaining. I've never had a problem at a show and hope it stays that way. But good luck to all who carry one---I hope you never have to use it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thank you, Great Gumbini. Indeed that is always earnestly to be hoped.

Woland
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Perhaps Im fortunate but I've never had to carry my piece to a show yet. I know one day I should and legally I can anywhere in the state. Sad it is coming down to that. I would hate to have it mixed up in my close up container and forget it is there.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
"willing to resort to life threatening violence" should look good on your resume, and it is sure to help you get booked. Lots of luck cowboy
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2010-08-16 04:19, Decomposed wrote:
I would hate to have it mixed up in my close up container and forget it is there.

Just say you do the bullet catch, LOL.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Al,

How about, "willing to stand by helplessly and allow myself and any others to be robbed, raped, and murdered whenever any armed thugs want to do it." Does that look better to you?

Woland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL