The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21 [Next]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1200 Posts

Profile of imgic
While I've been browsing this thread...refrained from posting on it until I saw this today...

I neither support or dispute either position...just uploading a cartoon.

Click here to view attached image.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
DavinSimone
View Profile
New user
Central Louisiana
59 Posts

Profile of DavinSimone
I have a concealed carry permit and carry almost any time I leave the house. Never had to shoot anyone yet. Hope I never have to. I wish more people made their personal safety their own responsibility but to each their own.

Funny story about that though...

I have stopped carrying to lectures though. I had a sub compact on my inside the waist holster located at the 5 o clock position. Jonathan Pendragon called me up to show people how to properly posture themselves with a pull device on their back. Thought for sure that he and the rest of the audience were going to get a big eye full of it but my shirt never moved the wrong way on it. Not that it would have been illegal or anything, just might have made some of the people a little unnecessary uncomfortable.
Davin L. Simone

Close up/Parlor Magician
IBM Ring 268 - The Cajun Conjurers
http://www.facebook.com/DavinSimone

Above poster suffers from a severe lack of judgment and logic. Assume any points he made are wrong and baseless.
Magician Toronto
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Magician Toronto
Learn some Krav maga. It is the best protection you can get. I once had a guy say that magicians were evil and they had to be killed. I had no choice but to defend myself. Can't get into the rest of the details but all I can say is that Krav Maga saved my life.

http://www.MagicianToronto.com
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
Israeli Special forces developed the currently used Krav Maga I am told. I like the fact that it is not a martial art, but is a way to stop yourself getting killed (essentially) and hopefully not kill anyone else in the process.

I do not understand why anyone would want to live in a place where they need to carry a gun to feel safe. I mean, many of you have and are bringing up families, and yet YOU do not feel safe enough to walk around un-armed.

What is next? Arm your eight year old daughters?

If you are a target, they are, you cannot be there all the time.

I genuinely feel, if you feel so threatened and un-safe that you need to walk around armed, you are not living, you are surviving.

I feel very sorry for you.

But more importantly, I implore you to move, to LIVE a happy life.

Not one of fear, not one of violence, not one of constant trepidation.

Good day gentlemen.

Jon Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
We each have our opinion, Jon, and I respect yours.

I choose not to trust the law of averages. If you can tell me of a where I DO NOT need to carry a gun to feel safe, I would be most interested. If you have never been the victim of a home invasion, then don't bother to tell me...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
So you don't want to know were you can live in the world with-out fear of HOME INVASION?

As you said to each his own.

Good day gentlemen!

Jon Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
T_C_Magic
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of T_C_Magic
People like Jon live in a fantasy world.
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
Not fantasy, with out fear.

Good day,

Jon Hackett
Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
Jon,

Krav Maga teaches a lot of kill moves actually, especially if your dealing with multiple attackers with weapons. Think Jason Bourne without the impossible jumps through windows etc.

It was developed and is refined in Israel and used by Israeli security forces.

It will get you fit and prepared to kick the crap out of people IF you have to. If you get a good trainer they will teach you a mindset. It deals with the psychology behind attacks and drills in actions so you can immobilise threats as effectively as possible.

I agree with you about not living out of fear, I wouldn't carry a concealed weapon even if it was legal to do so, but in the US something like 25% of adults or adult males(?) own a gun of some sort. It is a whole different culture.

I am sure if any of you guys came over here for a while you wouldn't see much need to carry a gun here (Not saying the UK is better, just look at our current government-increasingly making George Bush look like Santa).

I see that is hard to see an alternative when your country has a firmly entrenched gun culture.

Your more likely to get murdered by someone you know or are related to, and I doubt a gun will save you from that in most instances.

Mr. Mystoffelees buddhist temples are generally good, you can check your gun at the door, great food too.

IN CONCLUSION. This is a magic forum guys, shouldn't the only discussion on here be about the best way to catch bullets not fire them? At the very least why don't we keep it to practical points, and not debates over how supposedly better Europe is because we generally have tighter gun laws. GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE and we can't ban those crazy hairless chimps! Even if we are frequently stupid.

Matt.

http://www.astonisher.net
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I must say, having been born and raised in the U.S. and now living in the U.K., it sure is interesting to see the lack crimes committed with guns in the news each day.

I just can't imagine carrying a gun to a lecture, a performance or a gig. Maybe if I lived in a high crime area - then again I lived and worked in Los Angeles and never had the need (or felt the need) for one. Unlike most Americans though, I am extremely anti-gun and think they should be completely illegal, so I suppose I'm biased on this topic.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Thought...when I came to Dallas it was one of the most dangerous cities in the country. Now it is one of the safest. What changed? Guns were always here.

What changed was how they counted crimes. That's it. It is an illusion.

I went to a neighborhood watch the other day where two police officers of a local suburb spoke. It was interesting on many levels but what matters here is what they told me...

If you do not wish to carry a gun the next best weapon is mace. The key is you can disable someone before they can get close enough to grab you. The police mentioned this over and over...distance matters. No matter what your fighting art if someone can reach you they can get lucky and you lose.

The other tip he gave was to buy your mace from police supply stores. It is stronger than regular mace at retail outlets.

Additionally you can get a large mace with a range of 20 feet for your home protection. It is inexpensive, effective protection.

The discussion of firearms at this meeting was quite a bit different...but that is another story. To put it briefly, if you don't wish to carry a gun it isn't a big jump down in effectiveness to use mace.

As I said, this comes straight from city cops who work the mean streets for a living.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
While I'm sure the last thing anyone wants to see is this topic brought back to the top of the list, I thought this article had some relevance.

http://itricks.com/news/2010/12/magician......didtion/
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1357 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2010-12-03 10:06, M Sini wrote:
While I'm sure the last thing anyone wants to see is this topic brought back to the top of the list, I thought this article had some relevance.

http://itricks.com/news/2010/12/magician......didtion/

All the more reason to carry protection. I was talking to Dick Oslund today, and out of the blue he said a heavy set of Chinese Sticks are good protection. General Grant Brass Chinese Sticks would work great.

ACE
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
CWP holding...NRA loving...magician here...I carry protection 24/7, even though I'm 6'5" 290 LBS and retired from the NFL, I'm still no match for a bullet so I want to at least keep myself on even ground.

My thoughts and prayers to Eric and his family for a speedy recovery...
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
>How many other Europeans are shaking their heads in silent wonder?

Me for one.

Really shocked by this.

Glad I don't live in the 'free' country.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-12-11 19:18, Sleightly_Dangerous wrote:
CWP holding...NRA loving...magician here...I carry protection 24/7, even though I'm 6'5" 290 LBS and retired from the NFL, I'm still no match for a bullet so I want to at least keep myself on even ground.

24/7 huh? Do you have a special holster sewn into your pyjamas?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Quote:
On 2010-12-13 02:48, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-11 19:18, Sleightly_Dangerous wrote:

24/7 huh? Do you have a special holster sewn into your pyjamas?

.45 Under my mattress...I tried the PJ's thing and really uncomfortable...LOL
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1357 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 09:22, EscapeMaster wrote:
>How many other Europeans are shaking their heads in silent wonder?

Me for one.

Really shocked by this.

Glad I don't live in the 'free' country.

How come it is okay for Europeans and other "foreigners" to bash the USA, and if an American tries to bash another country, they are not "politically correct"? It sounds like a double standard to me.
At the last SAM(society of AMERICAN magicians) a magician(originally not USA born) who is famous and lives in this country and reaps the benefits of living here, was bashing Americans. And it was not in jest, I was standing next to him and heard him say it under his breath. He should go back to where ever he was born and give back all the American money he has made. I say "love it or leave it"!

ACE
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I rag on the canooks all the time, what are you taking about?

How come we Americans are always so quick to play the victims?

I say this (partly) in jest...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Just remember if it was not for this "Free" country...Most of Europe would be speaking German...Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do you carry protection to gigs? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL