The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Need help locating Eddie Fechter effects. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
I am searching for Eddie Fechter effects either in print or DVD. In particular I am interested in the "Eight to Twelve" and "Be Honest, What Is It" card effects. My understanding is that "Be Honest, What Is It" is Eddie's handling of the 2 Card Monte, which I already do but would like to see his handling.

From my searches here on the Café I have found that two publications have these two card effects. Those books are "Magician's Nitely" and "The Magic of Eddie Fechter". I have searched for these books either new or used and have thus far not been able to find a copy. Further searches here seemed to suggest the latter of the books may be reprinted soon though that was posted sometime in 2002-03.

I have read much about these two routines here on the Café and am intriqued in the handling of both. I am wondering if the effects are exclusive to these two publications or can I find them elsewhere.

I do want to mention that I have done several searches here on the Café regarding these effects and have not found the information that I need. I know this type of request is irritating to many members who assume someone has not searched through the Café for the answers. If you are one of those members please don't respond..., just move on. I do not mean to irritate anyone. I am just looking for more information regarding two effects that I have read about here on the Magic Café.

Thanks all for your help!
Wolly
Keep it Simple...Play it BIG!!!
The Mysterious Kid
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious Kid
Quote:
On 2010-02-24 21:37, wbzwolinski wrote:
My understanding is that "Be Honest, What Is It" is Eddie's handling of the 2 Card Monte, which I already do, but would like to see his handling.

It's more the other way around, "Two Card Monte" is your or Blaine's variation/patter of Eddie Fechter's "Be Honest, What Is It".
He is the inventor

Quote:
"Eight to Twelve" and "Be Honest, What Is It"

Both tricks are in "The Magic of Eddie Fechter" which is available here .
Sorry for my typing, it's 4 a.m.
Good night,
TMK
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If you hadn't suggested that book I was going to. That is your best source for what you are looking for. There is so much in that book one can learn. Not just effect wise either. It's a book I think should be in any magicians library.
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Thanks guys! I appreciate your help.

Thanks TMK for the link to the source I can purchase it at. I don't know why that source did not come up in any of my internet searches.

I have read much about the book here on the Café and it is apparently highly recommended by Whit Haydn amongst other members such as yourselves. I love Whit's stuff so I am always interested in anything he recommends.

TMK, I assume it was 4:00 a.m in Germany when you responded to my post. I just got off the phone with my relatives there a few minutes ago. They are early risers.

Thanks again!
Wolly
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Wolly: Please get the book. You will be very glad. It is the best collection of proven, fast-paced, hard-hitting magic for bar or walk-around in print. The handling of "Be Honest, What Is It?" in Eddie's original version is much better thought out and much stronger than the version Blaine did.

There are also a large number of other really strong clean tricks with coins and cards as well as incredible handlings for peeks, forces and other moves.

The book contains practically the whole work that Eddie used for decades to entertain his customers and draw people back again and again to the Forks from all over the world. These are tricks that people want to see again many times, and bring their friends to see. They are all practical, commercial, and mindbending.

I know you will be very happy with the book.

And thanks for your kind comments.
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Hi Whit,
I am very excited about this book particularly due to your posts on the "Eight to Twelve" and "Be Honest, What Is It" Fechter card effects. I am even more excited after reading that there is apparently so much more in this book that I can learn from.

Thanks,
Wolly
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
...some contents from Magician Nitely for inspiration...:

Chapter One - Magic From The Fork´s Hotel
I´ve Got A Surprise For You
Impromptu Torn And Restored Cigarette
Be Honest. What Is It?
Goblin Tube
Fechter´s Aces
Aces Up Or Down
You´ve Been Real Good To Me
Waterfall

Chapter Two - Request Tricks
6-4-5 Coin
Eight To Twelve
Card On Ceiling
Fechter´s Brainwave

Chapter Three - Peeks
Introduction To Peeks
Peek Force
Tiniest Peek I´ve Ever Seen
Peek And Key Combination
Glimpse
Peek Subtlety
Turn Around Peek Control
Fechter´s Fan Glimpse
Cover For Peek Control
Two Card Control From Peek
Eight Selections

Chapter Four - Miscellaneous
Flying Locator
Small Stock False Shuffle
Gambler´s Slip Cut
Auto Jog Control
Spring Card Revelation
Fechter´s Bluff Pass
Bar Towel Force
Tips, Hints, And Bits Of Business

Chapter Five - Previous Offerings
Top Card Reversal
A Magical Prediction
Knockout Prediction

Buy the books! Whit Haydn knows what he is talking about!
Have fun!

Axel
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
A great friend and member here at the Café (also a sessioning mate) gave me a copy (first edition) of "The Magic Of Eddie Fechter" which I cherish dearly.

The book is a great read and it's in a second printing (limited copies), so get it while it's still around! BTW, I have dealt with magicmethodsonline (Jerry Mentzer) and he will do you right!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Mentzer is where I picked up my copy of Magician Nitely.

If you're looking for fast paced, to the point magic you may also want to try The Magic of Matt Schulien which is often for sale on ebay or here on The Café. (Danny Doyle has several posts about Schulien's work as he studied under Matt's son).

Also their are several Jim Ryan booklets out that have similiar type of presentations. Ryan, along with Fechter & Schulien were three of the great bar magicians from last century who published material (that sounds so old).

Ryan's booklets are harder to find and may be more expensive than Schulien or Fechter.

As far as I know there is no video on Eddie Fechter that is online or available to the general public. There might be some clips of Matt Schulien (or maybe it's his son) on one of Ed Marlo's DVDs but someone needs to check me on that.

Finally there is a pretty good write up on Magician Nitely on the Genii forum in the Book of the Month section which was posted in '08 or '09.

Hope this helps but more importantly once you acquire the material and begin your studies please repost and let us know what you think and how its worked out in live performance.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Darn, Darn, Darn....Jerry Mentzer just emailed me saying that my order has been shipped less the "The Magic of Eddie Fechter" book which is out of print. Darn again! I thought I had it this time but it has slipped away.

Well, the search goes on...if anyone comes across a copy or knows where I can find one please let me know (either here or PM me)!

Thanks again for all your help guys! I do appreciate it!
Wolly

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:15pm
------------------------------------
Darn!

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:16pm
Double Darn....and Darn again!

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:17pm
Excuse my ranting...I'm just frustrated...

Posted: Mar 21, 2010 12:26pm
Hooray!!! Got one! Probably talking to myself at this point ... but that's OK.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions!
Wolly
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I too would like the 8 to twelve routine from Jerry Mentzer's Fechter book.
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
I was just on Magicmethodsonline.com and Jerry is showing The Magic of Eddie Fechter is back in print with limited quantities.

Price $45USD plus shipping. It includes the original text, Magician Nightly, plus about a gazillion more pages of photo's, history, bits & gags on The Forks and Eddie Fechter.

Good luck.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
He has none left. I am searching everywhere, I only want the 8 to 12, please please help me.
fmpilot
View Profile
Loyal user
of a fence with
245 Posts

Profile of fmpilot
Hey wally, I'll help you. The only place on Earth I know of that has any copies left is at that link I just sent you in a pm....

Good Luck!
"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Need help locating Eddie Fechter effects. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL