The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Golden rule of marketing for magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xtina
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of xtina
Marketing is one of my interests and I browse these forums weekly to see what is new and exciting. Unfortunately what is have been reading on these forums has came across as, petty,nitpicking, egotistical, and just plain mean.

At least a few times a week we receive leads on shows that because of location, price, or availability that we can not do. Most often we are asked who we recommend and who we do not recommend. We have sent a lot of work to magicians that we respect. We also collect commission on a show we could not do anyhow, and have retained the leads contact info to follow up with in the future. It is a win-win. I'm just saying it is most profitable to treat your peers with respect and dare I say friends......

You never know where that next lead is(or is not) coming from.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I always thought the "Golden Rule" was: "he who has the gold makes the rules.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Hey xtina,

Great to have you post. It's amazing how you manage to put people down on these forums who post on a regular basis and contribute. Your assumption is broad.

Your huge total of 4 posts really helps us.

Thanks again
Arthur Scargill
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Arthur Scargill
Actually what Xtina says makes perfect sense. I don't practise what he or she preaches but I agree with it.
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I think overall the posts re: marketing have been very useful and mutually supportive, even re: those of us who have stuff to sell on the topic.

My Mom always told me that if I couldn't say something nice about someone, I should just keep my lips closed.

Buried in the initial post is a very good point: marketing is all about relationships and establishing trust.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Well said. Not really sure where the "mean vibe" resonates from either - every one of us knows someone in the entertainers realm who is just, in general "grumpy" out of professional character (and sometimes while performing even!!).

The best thing in business is a "lead" or referral - we always have made an effort to compensate for these as well.

Among entertainers, karma needs to be your friend, haha.
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2262 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Xtina’s advice seems a little elementary to me. I have run into very few people in this business that do not treat me with respect. Perhaps Xtina’s experience is different.

I've always followed the advice of Ralph Kramden, “Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you’re going to meet the same people on the way down.”
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Golden rule of marketing for magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL