The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » When your cut off (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
In long post above, I just gave a professional approach to the situation. I guarantee that I've made more of these types of calls than most here and what I wrote above works.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Domino, I do all the approaches you mentioned...
and have done just as many calls as you in the short
time I've been performing.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I don't make that many calls any longer. Now I'm not saying you have or haven't made as many calls, but when you don't know how many I made, it's impossible to say you've made as many. When I was doing sales we imposed a quota of 50 calls a days, so we made 250 calls a week or 13,000 a year - and that was per sales rep, not just the whole team. I doubt most magicians have made 13,000 calls their entire career, no less in a year.

I'm on your side here. I believe in calls. I hate doing them, but they work. It's just there are smart ways of doing them. Working smarter, not harder, that sort of thing.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2730 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
[quote]On 2010-02-27 09:01, Domino Magic wrote:
Quote:

Interesting topic and right up my alley. I have a ton of experience as a top sales rep, sales manager and sales trainer.

There are right ways and wrong ways to do cold calling. I think it's getting harder to do now because of caller ID and voice mail. So when you finally DO get someone on the phone, you have to make the best of it because you don't know if you'll get the chance again.

One misconception about being a good sales person is the ability to talk. The reality is the best quality a sales person can have is the ability to listen. So if you're in the middle of your introduction explaining why you're calling and you're cut off there are a number of things that can be happening.

1. You sound like a sales person and this call sounds "canned".
2. It's a bad day/moment/year for the prospect.
3. They have no desire or need for your offer.

So starting at the beginning - the first thing I would do is look at my script. What am I saying and how am I saying it? We've all gotten calls where you know the sales person is reading from a script. I'll hang up in a second. Presentation is certainly key here. It should be conversational and not canned.

However are the words you saying compelling enough to listen to?

"Hi I'm Bob the magician and I'd like you to hire me to perform magic in your restaurant."

Compared to:

"Hi I'm Bob Smith a restaurant promotions expert and I wanted to ask you if you've ever had a promotion that was so much fun people talked about it to their friends and even brought them in so they could experience it?"

or

"Hi I'm Bob Smith a restaurant promotions expert and I wanted to ask you if you've ever had a promotion that was so much fun people stayed in your bar longer, ordering more drinks just so they could experience it?"

Those statements are all about the restaurant and not about the performer.

Next on the list is just catching people at a bad time. Who knows what is going on in their lives at the moment and it may not have anything to do with their business. It's just at that moment, you've found them in a bad mood, they weren't expecting your call and you're just one more thing to deal with. The best solution here is to take control and ask if there is a better time to call back.

Finally - no matter how great your offer is, how good a mood they're in, they just aren't interested. Maybe they can't afford it. Maybe they already have two one in blue, one in red and they really don't need a green one.

As I previously mentioned, one of the best qualities you can have is the ability to listen. In fact you should be doing more listening than talking. If you let them, the prospect will tell you everything you need to know. So the next time you're cut off, stop, take a breath, listen and be prepared to analyze the situation so you know how to respond.

Excellent suggestions Domino.
Well done.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Thanks Tom, I appreciate it.

Offering advice in Tricky Business can be frustrating because many times the people asking for suggestions or answers aren't getting the answers they want to hear, even though the response is on target.

One of the things I learned as a sales manager was when a sales rep wasn't performing up to par, there are three possible issues:

1. Training
2. Territory
3. Motivation

You can fix 1 & 2 by giving them more training or moving them to a different territory, but you can't fix the third issue. They're either motivated or they're not. But 99% of the time, those were the factors. There are no other answers.

The same thing applies here. You're being interrupted during your call. It's because of the three things I mentioned earlier:

1. Pitch
2. Timing
3. Interest

You can fix 1 & 2, but you can't fix 3.

Now I can appreciate that someone doesn't want to hear their approach is wrong. So what I recommend is change it and work with it as you would with any presentation you would for your show. With trial and error over many calls, you will find what works. I was fortunate to be part of a sales organization that didn't make us memorize scripts, gave us basic guidelines and set us loose. It's like having the opportunity to do your act over and over 200 times a week and making changes until you discover what is consistent.

Cold calls have a bad rap. No one like to get one, no one likes to do them, but they work. Repeating what I said earlier is to work smarter, not harder. Sure you can make hundreds of calls a week, having a shot in the dark approach and hoping for the best. Eventually you're going to hit something and make a sale. Or you can pre-qualify the lead before you make the call. You can also make it a warm call or "luke warm call" by sending out a mailing prior to the call.

Working with the sales team I had, we were given a list of people we were already doing business with and our calls were structured to see what we could do to improve their business with our solutions. It was a very consultative approach.

A similar approach can be taken in this type of situation. Target your audience - be it restaurants, country clubs, day cares, etc. figure out what they need and how you can provide that solution. (Marketing basics 101 here)

There are a ton of marketing courses/products out there, however most of what I've seen are designed for one thing - to get the person to call you. Well what is everyone doing if the phone isn't ringing? The gap in the marketplace is sales training and understanding the fundamentals of how to sell in the year 2010.

Each market you approach has it's own way of being sold to. If I were going after restaurants, I would just go to the restaurant in person and explain my offer. It doesn't pay to put out a postcard. Working for retirement communities, I do both - send out the card first, wait for the initial inbound calls, then make follow-up calls on the rest. The call isn't as "cold" that way. Oh, and if I were going to approach daycare centers, I would just follow the advice Tom Boleware has in his book!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 17:23, Marshall Thornside wrote:
When cold calling places and you speak with someone and inquire
about their venue. And then they cut you off...

How do you react?

Oh it's on then!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
It sure is Danny.
And then I am out to prove myself and that
I'm worthy of being booked.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » When your cut off (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL