The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Big show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
In about a week, I'm going to be doing a show for roughly 200-300 people on a raised stage. This is my first time performing on a raised stage and in front of an audience of this size and was wondering if anybody could offer some tips on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Make sure your first effect is something you can do in your sleep. "Aceing" the first effect will give you all the confidence you need to calm the jitters and continue with a spectacular show.

Jim
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
I would see if you can do a few practices runs on the stage a day or two before. This will help you get used to your performance area. Bring a couple people to sit in the audience at different places. Have them move to the sides and back of sitting areas to see if all is OK.

Remember to try to make Eye contact with different areas not just stare straight ahead. Use the stage, don't just stand in the middle and not move. Depending on the seating arrangements, when displaying an object you may have to pan, or slowly turn, to let both sides of the audience see. Project yourself, voice slightly louder, motions slightly larger ... Butterflys, Shaking and Nerves are NORMAL, it's adrenalin, just try to relax.

Remember to breathe! Smile

Have fun,

Metatron
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Breathe.

yep that's the huge one. If you tighten up and stop breathign normal you will start to sweat, and become flush. Breathing is the key to everything. The more normalized your breathing, the less shakes and nerves. You will need to actually concentrate on breathing deeper because your body will become shallow breathing on its own.

Its all normal.

Rehearse over and over and over till you can do it perfect. Then you can walk out there knowing you are the king of the world while on stage.

I still get huge butterflies. I don't think they ever go away, you just learn to digest them easier.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Watch out for the lights!! There's nothing like reheasing everything under normal lighting, then getting on stage under the floodlights! Everything is brilliant white for a few feet in front of you, and the audience completely disappears! Stay back from the edge of the stage - you may not be able to see it until your eyes adjust.

Rehearse the paint off of everything. Slow down and relax. Have some back-up plans. Remember that if anything goes wrong, the audience almost never knows - and if they do, humor is your friend.

Ed
bicycle66
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
Being the first time I would get in some practice runs if you can't use the actual place then try and get the next best thing to it. As noted above your first and probably second miracle should be things you can do with your eyes closed have the good impact that will get the audience to believe you can do feats if impossibility so they will not watch so close to what you are doing. Looking for that mistake that will happen it's just a matter of time but how you cover it and move on will make the difference. Some people relax quickly others it takes time try and remember how you did with your first gig that will give you an idea how your body/nerves will act with this one being its your first on a stage. Sean.
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Sometimes, when I want to get used to the kind of pressure I'm going to feel when I am in front of an audience, I will get down and do as many push-ups as I can. When you are done, your arms will feel rubberized, and your fingers will tremble -- simulating what stage adrenaline feels like.

By the way, I remember reading about some famous magician who, in order to rid himself of the jitters before a show, would jump up and down declaring how much he loved his audience.

Once you really get going out there, it will be a blast.
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
All great advice here!
First effect should be simple with flash.
Breath (more important than you would imagine)
Go slowly (your natural tendency will be to rush)
Eye contact with the whole audience
Watch the footlights

One thing I’d add, and everyone is different. I remember that I would get a dry mouth a few minutes in, so I would plan a “water trick” around that time, so I would have an excuse to “take a sip”. The audience thought I was proving the water was real, but it was really a relief for me!

Looking at the OP date, I guess the show’s already done. How did it go? Tell us how marvelous you were?
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
I did the show and tried all of the advice given. It worked great. When you're up on stage you can't see much anyway because of the lights, like Ed had said. The hardest part of the whole performance was forcing myself to go out onto the stage, but once I was out there I settled in and put on a heck of a show. Thank you all for the excellant advice and I will keep on using it for the rest of my magical career.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Big show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL