The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Brand New Website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I bought a hosting site two years ago and put up a mediocre website. Finally got around to hiring a brand new web designer. Tell me what you think http://www.JasonAlanMagic.com
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I like the basic layout and the content is readable and relevant. Easy to navigate and I like the pictures changing in the header.

I am not a fan of scrolling within the web page but that is just my personal preference. good job.

how about mine? http://www.timothydowd.com
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jason, I did not study it with a lot of time. I did see it looks nice. The only thing I noticed should be changed is "past clients". It kinda seems like the businesses will not come back to you because it reads "past". Just "clients" seem better to me. Or "performed for..." seems better too.

On your theater page you killed it when you put "Most audiences are bored with the stereotypical magicians of today". You sound like a politician fighting against another. In that same paragraph a comma is spaced the wrong spot.

Tim, I like the style on yours too. But my opinion, it seems like you are boasting too much because you are talking about yourself. Instead of having things like "I am good", have it read "Tim is good".
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Wow thanks I appreciate all of the comments. Tim I will post later today when I get a chance to look at your page
gdrayson
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of gdrayson
Hi Jason, I took a very brief look at your website, and found it frustrating to have to scroll to read your content. Was this a conscious decision, or a technical issue?

Gordon
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
My web designer made that decision. I see why he did it. Rather than having an extremely long page with lack of content further down the page he kept it more compact. Thank you for your in site though, I will forward your comments to him now.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I'm not too sure about the imbedded video you've got on your landing page. I tried to view it and I have a very fast ADSL2+ connection and it was stop and start all the way. May not get a lot of people viewing it if they have slow connection speed, which may lead to folks just not bothering to go any further. Just a little thought for you. Plus, it's almost 9 minutes long which also may deter folks.

I like the layout though I too am not fond of having to scroll down in those small text boxes on websites. My small thoughts.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I have no idea qhy the front page video is loading so slow. Im having the same problem. Its straight from youtube
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
In the process of dropping the main video to 6 minutes.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Occassionally youtube goes into maintenence which causes some videos to load slow or not at all, usually for a short amount of time. Having said that, the video loaded great for me but to be honest the opening monologue sounded really canned. I would reshoot, in front of a better backdrop and relax and make it seem more natural, even it if is scripted.
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Completely changed the video on the front page. Got rid of talking, just a short 3 1/2 minute video of tricks.
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
That's a nice image of you . . . have the designer hit it with a "sharpen" one time . . . it should make it just a bit clearer, make it stand out a bit . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
I like the design but hate to say its poorly coded.
It uses tables and the content is in frames.
PM for more info.
cheers,
Ade
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Quote:
On 2010-03-01 05:09, Tim Dowd wrote:
I am not a fan of scrolling within the web page but that is just my personal preference. good job.

Quote:
On 2010-03-01 10:54, gdrayson wrote:
Hi Jason, I took a very brief look at your website, and found it frustrating to have to scroll to read your content. Was this a conscious decision, or a technical issue?
Gordon

Quote:
On 2010-03-07 20:04, monstercreations wrote:
I like the design but hate to say its poorly coded.
It uses tables and the content is in frames.
cheers,
Ade

I see a recurring theme and agree with these quotes. This isn't meant to discourage you, but to improve your site.

Personally, I would stick with pure HTML and CSS and NOT use the in-page scrolling.

I have several pages I designed that have 'blank' space as you go further down the page. But don't look at it as "blank" or "empty" space, think of it as "whitespace" that helps balance the page and direct the viewer's eye.

As an example, look at this site: http://apple.com and tell me how many words are on their front page. They make VERY good use of white space.

Here's another example: http://nothingupmysleeves.com This one is my own site. People are used to scrolling on a webpage. Let them.

Good luck!
Scott

P.S.
And this is free advice. Even though I've been asked by many, I don't do web design for hire.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
756 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Also Frames get indexed seperatly meaning if someone comes in from that file they have no menu and just see tons of text..

Iframes don't even get indexed
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
269 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Looks good. Haven't had a change to read the whole thing.

Interesting story about how "At 12 years old Jason experienced his very first magic trick performed by a homeless man while on vacation in Venice Beach California." Was this the first magic trick you ever saw? Our just the first one performed by a homeless man vacationing in Venice Beach? What were you doing at Venice Beach? Were you on vacation, too?

I completely missed some of the content the first time I went to your site because I didn't realize that I had to scroll within the page. Didn't see your videos or forms, the first time. Other visitors might miss them too.

Thom
The Great Dave
View Profile
Regular user
My Wife said "It's Me or that Stupid Magic Website!" this many times.
189 Posts

Profile of The Great Dave
Sent you a PM. I know how you love those ...
Academy of Magical Arts

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Whoops, wrong hat ...
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
In the wedding page, I really think you should have the straight jacket picture.... It just seems to remind me a lot of my marriage.. ah, never mind.

;)
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
The great dave....... Are you stalking me? It's not that I hate PM's, it's that I do not receive them. For some reason I can't get a pm on this site!
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Overall a very nice consistent look. It says "professional" to me. I would echo what others have said though. The scrolling withing the page is not a good technique in my opinion. I didn't even realize there was video on your front page until someone mentioned it in a post above. I had to go back and look for it.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Brand New Website (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL