The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » To join or not to join? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
What are your opinions on joining organizations like the Rotary Club or The Chamber of Commerce for networking purposes?
Dave
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
A strong network is vital for the regional or local entertainer. I consider active participation in groups like these to be mandatory for the success-minded business person. You never know where such a connection might carry you.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-03-02 10:46, Skip Way wrote:
I consider active participation in groups like these to be mandatory for the success-minded business person. You never know where such a connection might carry you.

Key words there - active participation! Join only if you're going to participate and contribute to the group without expectation of show leads. Too many people join organizations like this only for business contacts and do not contribute anything. I've left a couple local organizations because I was always getting a sales pitch.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I would also suggest that when joining a group find out if they have social events, ie. luncheons, networking events, evenings etc. You will find these are great opportunities to get to know folks, let them know about your business, and find out about theirs. I have looked into some groups and found that in this area they strictly run seminars and have no events where you can meet the members.

You will also find chamber events during the day, attract a very different group of members to those in the early evening. A key thing is to also participate in the group, join a planning committee etc.

My printers, photographer, accountant, have all come from groups I have been a member of. I got to know them first.

Blair
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
As a past member of Rotary I can speak from experience. First, you don't join rotary, you are asked to join. As a member of rotary, I did about 4 shows a year for Rotary proper. Most Rotary members as professionals and business owners. Our club had about 50 members. I probably did another half dozen shows because of the members. However, being a Rotarian is a little on the pricey side.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I LOVE my family of memberships I belong to…

HERE, for me is the KEY in wining the most success in theses groups. You may not LIKE the solution I recommend, but it is obvious that everyone so-far also agrees.

The KEY is if you join, NOT to join as much to ‘build your business’, but rather to CREATE Massive Value for the clubs, communities and organization you choose to join AND THEN, as a result of creating massive value, YOU will then be rewarded.

And there is a BONUS SURPRISE… the reward is ‘also’ often well MORE than any gig or lowly pay-day you will get, but if you really dig-in, hunker-down and help other people get more of what THEY want need and desire, you will be wildly rewarded in way that will literally blow your mind! (oh, and the respect, money and indelible trust relationships aren’t bad either!)

Just my two cents worth!
Find Your Passion… DO Your Purpose… Make It Profitable!

Live “L.O.V.E.” Everyday!
Life Of Vibrant Expression!

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Helping You Succeed) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Ditto on what Dean, Blair and Domino said...

(I was too busy networking to write all that!) Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
LOL

B
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
By the way... this is the key to success in life and in business too... but you guys knew that!

Do we have to be 'strategic' about it all?

Of course we do, but the point is the same... help people get what THEY want and everyone wins! It’s called turning you “NetWORK in to your Net WORTH”!

I vote SKIP for President!
Deano (campaign manager) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Its a great way to meet a lot of people and make some new friends, and really get involved in your community. . . just be minded that as an entertainer, they are likely to ask you to contribute "your services" most likely . . . but don't just let business promotion be your motivation for joining . . . these organizations make a huge difference in the lives of many . . . I know a good part of my college tuition was paid for by scholarships I earned by funds raised via these organizations . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » To join or not to join? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL