The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Old magic tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Camellaird11
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Camellaird11
What does everyone do with the tricks that they do not want or use anymore?
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Big box in the garage, pull them out every two years, play for a few minutes, then back into the box...
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Camellaird11
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Camellaird11
Is there nowhere you can sell them to other magicains? as I brought the model bottle, but as you can't see how they work I got it and decided that it was not for me.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I leave them in the book where I found them.
You know why don't act naive.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
There are no old magic tricks, just new audiences.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Lavey
View Profile
Regular user
Luxembourg
145 Posts

Profile of Lavey
I sell them on ebay
Christian Lavey
Magician from Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Magicien de Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Zauberer aus Luxemburg https://lavey.lu
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Mine are in the basement. I don't sell them because I never know when I might need that square circle that's been sitting there for 10 years. You can sell yours right here on the Magic Café, see below "tricks for sale". Maybe it takes 50 posts before you can do this, I don't know.

Jim
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Gotta agree with the big box full of stuff. No, I'm not interested too much right now - but when what I'm doing starts getting a bit stale or I've moved into a new area and need something different, well there it is!

Ed
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Sell me your Robert Allen Nelson stuff. That is if you could bear to part with it?

Most of my old props and such have been sold or given away to younger magicians who show talent and the willingness to learn. One gave a Thayer silver dollar coin pull to a young magician. You should see what he does now it unbelievable. Pass it on is the best way I have found. That is for props and stuff. Books keep those.
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Swap with other Magi. Sell them on eBay, or Here.

Keep them and come back to them later, views change the longer you are involved in magic. Sometimes an effect that isn't right for you now, is perfect a couple years down the road. You may come up with a new way to use an old effect.

I sure wish I now had some of the effects that I have gotten rid of. They now cost 3 or 4 times the price I originally paid!

Metatron
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Sock drawer
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
I keep them in a drawer. More than once, I would return to these old items and ask to myself, "why isn't this in my repetoire!" And I would add it in.

I guess we all grow after a few years and gain insights. And these insights would be helpful to reexamine these 'old' tricks and make them new again.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Send them to me! I think I run a home for abandoned magic props.

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I'm actually in the process of reorganizing all my stuff right now. I have storage space for the current non-workers, but they do get rotated back in from time to time.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Like others over the years I have acquired many things I will never use, I too have been sorting and trying to organize what I have (I am still missing boxes from too many moves). On the sorting side of things, I have found that photo boxes from Hobby Lobby are great for keeping small close-up stuff in… they are all the same size, stack well and are stronger than most shoe boxes.

The plan is to sell off some stuff, but I will still keep all the old brass items, coins and the few things I am attached to sentimentally (stuff from my youth, too many good memories of going to Philadelphia and NY City… my parents were good sports in taking me there as a boy). I have started to do the same with some books.

To those starting out, like most things in life, buy the best that you can… think quality over quantity and do your research before you buy… what a great place this is to do so.

Thanks,
Bruce
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
You could sell them but I wouldent. As you said that you don't use them anymore,if you have liked them in the past you more then likely will in the future. your best bet is to stick them in a box and put them away, then when ever you are going to buy a new trick look through the box again and it will be like opening a tresure chest.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2010-03-02 16:16, HerbLarry wrote:
I leave them in the book where I found them.

What is this thing "book" you speak of? Smile
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
I'm a pack rat. I even have the magic set it all started with (well, most of it). I don't sell or throw away anything unless it breaks and is beyond repair. You never know when that old trick you have lying around might inspire you to come up with something new.

And if you can't use it anymore, it's always great to save it for the offspring (if you don't have any of your own, there's probably other kids in the family that enjoy doing magic)
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I've given some away to aspiring young magicians who are still too young to not afford such props, the rest collect dust and space in my garage.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
acer
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of acer
Old tricks are often the best and get great reactions ! I Keep them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Old magic tricks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL