The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Loftus is out of Svengalis! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Called to order my usual 2 gross and was told that not only have they been out for 1 month or so, but they have no answer from the Chinese WHEN they can expect more. So it could be 1-2 months more.

Looks like I'll HAVE to sell worms now!

Jon
Lavey
View Profile
Regular user
Luxembourg
146 Posts

Profile of Lavey
Try at Robbins
Christian Lavey
Magician from Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Magicien de Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Zauberer aus Luxemburg https://lavey.lu
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Just called SS Adams. They were bought out last year. Had used Adams' cards previously when Loftus sold out, but they were thinner than Loftus, they got tired faster and were not put together, so didn't really care for them.

Merry Jo told me that they make their own decks, you have your choice of red and blue backs, they are heavier than Adams were AND the key card in the blue decks are Ace of diamonds. The instruction card is separate, about 6" square, and if I understand correctly, the whole thing comes WITH bags. They cost 15 cents more per doz than Loftus.

I only ordered a gross to see. They are ALSO sending a couple of DVDs on spec. Sounds good.

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Jon, please let us know how the MM decks are.

I agree the Loftus decks are/were about the best deal for the money. I have been using the FUN, Inc. mid-price "Royal Magic" decks, which are very nice but also more expensive. I did try the FUN pitch decks (which I believe are either the same as or very close to the Adams decks); while they are barely OK, I wasn't real happy with the card stock, which seemed a bit flimsy. But they did have very good instructions they are printed on two extra playing cards and placed on top of the deck). However, the Loftus decks were not only cheaper, but also of better quality.

Hey, while you're waiting for those MM decks, you can start working on your Magic Worm moves! I'm telling you, like Don says on his Svengali Pitch DVD, the decks and the worms are an unbeatable combo. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
MM decks are ok but not the greatest. I have been using them for about 2 years. They have a problem with keeping their shapr after one day of use. They come with avideo tutorial wich helps sell it.
Mike

Magic Legacy - Low prices on great magic!
www.magiclegacy.net
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
I like the Magic Makers as a back up, also try forum novelties in NY.
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

I hate to be wrong but I guess I mis-understood. The MM cards I received today are NOT put together, nor do they have very much instruction. And they are NOT in a display box nor a display wrapping such as Loftus. However, they are just about the same size, stiffness and price.

On the plus side, they do have an internet link to very basic instructions on the cardboard instruction card. And they do come with sealable plastic baggies. BUT you gotta bag 'em up.

MM also has a deal on a deck, the instruction card, the bag along with an instructional video for less than $4 wholesale. If you are tired of making your own videos (like I am!) this might not be such a bad deal, IF you can sell the package for $10 instead of $5. I know Seth is already off that figure so it might not be such a good deal from those selling as he does.

I'm considering copying the Loftus instructions, folding and putting them into the baggie, so I can still say, "It comes with complete instructions AND 10 tricks (actually 15 if you count the card-size instructions)".

I guess I'll have to see how they sell compared to Loftus, before I make up my mind whether or not I like them.

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey Jon, sorry to hear the MM cards were not what you expected. Collated cards would make things easier, that's for sure.

I can live without a display box and even without fancy deck sleeves. But I can't have crummy instructions, because that just makes life tougher than it needs to be, and a pitchman's life is tough enough already! Even with good instructions, I always get some kids coming back asking for help. [Of course it would help if they actually READ the instructions before asking for help, but that's life.]

However, bad instructions are worse, because they will not only increase the number of comebacks, but it can also look like the kids got ripped off, and then you will look bad. One complaint to the show sponsor and you've got "Trouble in River City," as they say.

A DVD is a great idea, but I would go broke trying to stock a $4 item, and even then I couldn't sell it for much less than $15-20 -- which isn't going to happen in my neck of the woods, anyway.

So if I was in your shoes, I'd take the Loftus instructions (or make your own), fold them and wrap them around the MM decks, and just wait for the next Loftus shipment. The heck with the Baggies, sounds like they would just make it tougher to stack and pack a bunch of decks. SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Jon,

You really should take the time and collate them.An easy to do that is hold the deck in your left hand and with your left hand take a card from the top and bottom at the same time with your right hand and put the two cards on a table.Keep this up till you have gone though the deck.Its a pain but worth doing to save you a lot of greif when yo're out working with kids bringing them back saying "mine dosen't work"

You also do need good direction.Pm me an address and I'll mail you a set.I remember David Walker would wrap the directions around the deck,than take a rubber band and make a big deal out of it saying things like " and you also get a genuine hand made rubberband imoprtanted from the jungele's of South America absolutely FREE with each deck to hold your directions firmly in place so you can never loose them" you get the point,he made to big a deal out of a cheap rubber band.Than a kid would give him the money and he would hand the deck with the directions around the box and also made a big deal of puting the rubberban on over the directions.Than as the kid took the box,David would hold the rubberband and pull it off the box as the kid pulled the deck of cards...and he would use the same rubberband over and over for each deck for that turn...saying each time he pulled back the rubberband...we have to keep our cost down,I'm sure you all understand.

Well its was so funny....its a great bit,try it sometime.

Hope this post helped you Jon and who ever else reads it.

Later,Don
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Don:

That was a great story and a very funny bit haha. Once again you have given us some great tips, especially on collating the cards. I would like a set of those instructions too, I will PM you .

I am strickly a LOFTUS card man, they are my favorites to work with. But if we are going to have a hard time getting them as Jon stated in his post, looks like I might have to go with these M/M cards too as a back up.

Thanks again Don

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey, if we got enough pitchmen together, we could order our own shipping container of Svengali Decks from China and divvy them up among ourselves! Eliminate the middleman!!

Who wants ten gross of these decks? Now don't be shy, just raise your hand and we'll get to you in just a minute! You sir, way back in the rear, just send your money right up here and we'll get your decks right over to you with our forklift. Don't miss out folks, this is a limited opportunity to get the magic decks with the special magnetic finish and the professional secret instructions . . . . SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Better still.. buy the card making machinery, card stock, box maker, and printing press. Start a little card factory right here in the US to supply pitchmen.

ROD
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I can see I have open a can of worms...hahahaha.

Later,Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Don, the decks are sealed, the "Instruction cards" are on pretty heavy cardboard, 5.5" by 4.25". I'm thinking it would take lots of time to open the deck, collate the cards, etc. When you put the cards in the clear plastic baggy, along with the instruction card AND the instruction sheet (from Loftus) I intend to print, the package really looks pretty professional. But as Seth pointed out, it will take up more space.

The problem is that the "instruction card" really says very little about the actual tricks. Even the link to MagicMakers.com doesn’t say much more. Therefore I think I need the instructions from Loftus—or somewhere. I can print 2 instruction sheets on each letter-size page (front and back), so it only takes 72 sheets for the gross. Gotta put 'em in the package anyway, so adding the extra instruction sheet is pretty simple. I think one fold will do it. I can even put the TCM package in there too. OR just the TCM cards with a small sheet of instructions for them.

The rubber band thing is pretty funny but I always put my stuff in a small plastic bag from Sam’s Club, tying the handles so it’s not easy to open. I tell ‘em it’s a “virgin vinyl custom carrying case—with handles, no extra charge”.

All in all, I’m sure I get accustomed to the differences between Loftus and MM. It’s just that us oldsters need time—and LOTS of practice!!

Jon

P.S. I will say that, even tho the DVD has only 10 tricks, it does have a couple of good ones on it. One especially, using 3 pieces of paper and asking someone to give you a # (from 1 to 5 million!), a state and pick a card. You write the answer on each of the pieces of paper BEFORE they give you the info. (Of course you know the key card.) It might be a neat trick in place of the Larceny trick because it's very mystifying, tho it does require the 3 pieces of paper.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Jon,
The Larceny isn't for mystifying..its for what it says...to work on their greed and for them to think how easy it would be to con all their friends out of money. However,when it comes dones to it,none of the marks ever do it.

Don
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
If you order 10,000 decks from the U.S. Playing Card Co. they will cost you $1.00 a deck... I'm not sure they would cut a short card for you but I bet they would.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Fitz,
I can tell you aren't a pitchman.Why would any pitchman do that when Loftus cuts them,collates them,gives you a color sleeve,and extra directions for only .60

Later,Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-03-09 14:43, DonDriver wrote:
Jon,
The Larceny isn't for mystifying..its for what it says...to work on their greed and for them to think how easy it would be to con all their friends out of money.

Don

You are sooo right, Don, as usual. I was attempting to become a magician!

Jon
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

It turns out that it's pretty easy to pack the hard MM "instruction" card, deck, my instruction sheet, TCM, TCM inst., all in the plastic package and it really looks prety good. I packed it so that one side of the DF card is showing, along with the deck, so even the back of the package looks good.

Disadvantage: the package does take up more space than the Loftus deck
Advantage: it's all in one package so it elimiates stapling the TCM package. I can print 9 sets of TCM instructions per page.

Tomorrow is my 1st show using this set-up. We'll see.

I'll be happy to send a scan of the package to anyone who wants it. PM me with your e-mail address.

Jon
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
840 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
It's very easy to collate the cards quickly using an "in the hands" faro shuffle. I remember this took me ages to perfect when I was learning card stuff years back - but you don't need a 100% faro. Even if you're 3 or 4 cards "out", it's real quick to glance through, and you can spot your errors immediately.

Takes about 5 seconds a deck, then you re-box.

If anyone's interested, I can post a video of how it's done - although I'd imagine you'd all know what I'm talking about. Thinking a bit more... there's probably a Youtube on it..
This will be my second "season" and I'm looking forward to it as much as I did last year.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Loftus is out of Svengalis! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL