The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Miracle Rope (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Anybody have this or seen it? This is the description from Abbott's Catalog

Miracle Rope

This is the original! A length of unprepared rope is shown and cut into two pieces by a spectator. The magician holds one piece in each hand - hands may be widely separated. He waves the ends of the rope together and, in a flash, the pieces seem to visibly melt together into one piece. This rope is the same length as first shown and may immediately be given out for examination.

Magicians have marveled at this rope trick and many have tried to duplicate it without success - and now it can be yours. No snap or screw gimmicks - no magnets - no wires and no threads. The rope can be marked for future identification. It can be immediately thrown out for examination - there is no exchange or fussing. This effect was part of a professional’s act for many years before it was released to the magical fraternity - all the performing and presentation details are included. No special rope required. Absolutely clean - the method is undetectable. This one astounds magicians!

Created by Bill Neff.

Any reviews?

Metatron
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
The only things I can think of, is a Gravity H**d**t, Invisible Hand or a P*ll. But wouldn't that be considered swap or exchange?

Any thoughts?

Metatron
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
This is Bill Neff's rope restoration, originated in the 50's and although there is a knack to it, it is a wonderful effect.
Comes with a secret gimmick or manuscript to make it.
Abbott's is probably the only dealer with the rights to it.
----------------
It is not a gravity H**d**t, but is along those lines.
There is no swap though.
Just a bold move and a simple gimmick.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You'll find it (Neff's Miracle Rope) included in Stewart James' "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks." Why buy one rope effect when you can buy hundreds for the same price?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I have seen old reel type movie clips of Neff performing this. visually, it is as if youve just seen a real miracle. Avery impressive and memorable rope effect in his hands, but it does indeed take a knack to do it well. Just as ian says.

Kotah
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Love this cut and restored rope effect, it is a real miracle. Personally, I never had a problem with it. I must have been blessed with the knack. Purchased it 40 or 50 years ago.

It is not done much because it does take preparation. It also requires a piece of new rope for each performance. Thus it is best to by the rope by the spool.

You are left with a piece of rope the same size you started with, so you can continue with your favorite rope routine with an ordinary piece of rope.

This is the closest thing to real magic there is in rope magic.
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Thanks Ian, I think I get it now. If I am right, The restoration would look great, but the handling of the 'cutting' part would be rather difficult to do smoothly. Was this used as an Opener by Mr. Neff?

Spellbinder, I can't find it in "The Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" 1974 Dover Edition. It's not listed in the Index under Neff's Miracle Rope or Miracle Rope.

Got a page number?

Do you think they removed it.

Strange.

Metatron
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Wmhegbli,

Thanks for the review. I think I will get it based on your review. If it is in The Encyclopedia and I just missed it, I would feel bad now. I better read that book cover to cover first. I get side tracked every time I try! Smile

Sure sounds like a great trick in the description, but I've fell for that a million times ... descriptions that just don't match the reality of the effect, if you know what I mean.

Anyone else do this? Any video out there?

Thanks Everybody,

Metatron
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Metatron
When Mr. Neff did this trick it was his first trick.

You are looking in the wrong encyclopedia. This trick is in the Stewart James rope magic encyclopedia.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Thanks Al Angello,

Got it pegged now, at least the method. Just have to work out the handling now.

Yep, wrong encyclopedia. I have Abbott's "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" which was compiled by Stewart James, but I see they now have one called Stewart James' "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" expanded and revised edition.

Thanks again,

Metatron
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have done this forever... I do a "broken and restore" just tearing the rope in two (rubber cement) and SHOT AND RESTORED WITH SPECTATOR shooting a gun at the rope. You can revise the handling so you can cut the rope, but is easier if you have an assistant do it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Metatron, No you do not have to use this effect as a opener. The instructions describes a very good gag to make it possible to do the effect anytime you wish.

Bill Neff was before my time by a few years. It is my understanding that he performed a full evening Illusion show. So how he used this effect in his show, I do not know. It very well may have been an 'in between' smaller effect with audience participation.

One last thing, you have to wear a men's jacket.
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Thanks everybody,

Looks like a winner. I'll definitely purchase this one. It looks like a great trick with only a few great magicians doing it!

Pete Biro, thanks for the tip on the rubber cement.

Wmhegbli, I figured the coat was necessary, but didn't want to use it as an opener. Glad to know there is a work around to fit it in elsewhere.

Kotah, is that old movie clip on-line anywhere?

Thanks to all who responded here: magicIANs, Spellbinder, KOTAH, wmhegbli, Al Angello, Pete Biro.

You've made me a believer in the Magic Café. What a great resource this is. Wish I would have had this 40 years ago! This new crop of magicians don't realize how great they have it.

Thank You Steve Brooks - Your THE MAN Smile
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Old movie clip, I saw it on a television show many years ago. I do not know if Neff clips exist somewhere on the inter net or not. I believe, because of the set-up, it is basically anopener, but I could be mistaken.

Kotah
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
P132 of the new Ency of Rope Tricks describes Neff's Miracle Rope. As mentioned, I don't it is in the Dover reprint .

While looking this up, I read of Burling Hull's Miracle Rope: a single piece of rope is thrown into the audience, it is cut and tied together by a spectator who then tosses it back to the performer. With bare hands, the magi restores the rope to 1 piece by causing the knot to visibly dissolve.

Now doesn't that sound interesting?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-03-20 18:28, John Long wrote:
P132 of the new Ency of Rope Tricks describes Neff's Miracle Rope. As mentioned, I don't it is in the Dover reprint .

While looking this up, I read of Burling Hull's Miracle Rope: a single piece of rope is thrown into the audience, it is cut and tied together by a spectator who then tosses it back to the performer. With bare hands, the magi restores the rope to 1 piece by causing the knot to visibly dissolve.

Now doesn't that sound interesting?

Burling Hull's is not Bill Neff's or visa versa, they are not the same person. In the Neff version, the ropes are not tied. The spectator is brought on stage, the magician holds the rope and the spectator cuts the rope somewhere in the middle. The ends are swung towards each other and the rope is restored into one piece. The spectator can have the rope, or you could continue with any trick using an ordinary length of rope.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Thanks for the tip John I'll have to look that one up. I already studied the Neff trick.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-03-05 14:28, Metatron wrote:
Anybody have this or seen it? This is the description from Abbott's Catalog

Miracle Rope

This is the original! A length of unprepared rope is shown and cut into two pieces by a spectator. The magician holds one piece in each hand - hands may be widely separated. He waves the ends of the rope together and, in a flash, the pieces seem to visibly melt together into one piece. This rope is the same length as first shown and may immediately be given out for examination.

Magicians have marveled at this rope trick and many have tried to duplicate it without success - and now it can be yours. No snap or screw gimmicks - no magnets - no wires and no threads. The rope can be marked for future identification. It can be immediately thrown out for examination - there is no exchange or fussing. This effect was part of a professional’s act for many years before it was released to the magical fraternity - all the performing and presentation details are included. No special rope required. Absolutely clean - the method is undetectable. This one astounds magicians!

Created by Bill Neff.

Any reviews?

Metatron

Sounds hauntingly similar to one that Doug Henning performed on his Bruce Jenner special. And that used a p**l.

Bu the visual on it was great. In Doug's hands, it did indeed look like a miracle.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No Doug Henning used a totally different method, it did not use a pull, it used reels used by his assistants. (Sorry, cannot remember the magician to give credit properly, was it Paul Curry.) Then while touring he used the Jim Steinmeyer version.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same special. The one that I am referring about, I have on VHS vid tape. I watched it in SLOW MOTION, (and freeze frame), and I clearly saw the ropes shoot up his sl***es, possibly a h***d**t. Why would this take off stage assistants to accomplish?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Miracle Rope (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL