The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Truffle Shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
Thinking of buying this. So I would like to know if the truffle shuffle needs a cut after the riffling to restore the original deck order?
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1233 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
No, you don't need to cut afterward. The cards are directly in their original order.
However, the "truffle" is not so easy...it demands practice !
The Heinstein is a (little) bit easier.
The easiest method is given by Bill Malone.

Weird.... Two Belgians who communicate by an American forum. Smile
DSmagic
View Profile
Regular user
London
132 Posts

Profile of DSmagic
It does require a cut, however you can do an opposite action in order to remove the need for a cut.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2440 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
It must be what comes more natauraly to you but I find the the truffle shuffle much easier than the Heinstein. Which is to say I never got my Heinstein to a point where I would do it in front of people but I do the truffle all the time.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1233 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2010-03-07 07:29, Xcath1 wrote:
It must be what comes more natauraly to you but I find the the truffle shuffle much easier than the Heinstein. Which is to say I never got my Heinstein to a point where I would do it in front of people but I do the truffle all the time.

I agree that the truffle is the most "natural" and therefor the most deceptive one.
I found it however difficult to execute and found the Heinstein easier. Is is probably as you write: "It must be what comes more natauraly to you".
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of oscarf
All I know is I ordered it a month ago, but have not seen it yet. I expected a download, but looked like it was a physical product (instructional DVD, I assume). Anyway, nuthin yet ...
JakAHearts
View Profile
New user
Silver Spring, MD
32 Posts

Profile of JakAHearts
Oscard, did you buy this from D&Ds site? If so and it was an on demand product, you'll have to log in and go to your "On Demand" downloads to view it. You might have wasted a months worth of practice time! Smile

Shane
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
There is a way to do the truffle shuffle that does not require a cut and I also found the truffle shuffle easier than the Heinstein. I got it as an instant download from Dan and Dave as well.

Gil Scott
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On 2010-03-07 10:02, JakAHearts wrote:
Oscard, did you buy this from D&Ds site? If so and it was an on demand product, you'll have to log in and go to your "On Demand" downloads to view it. You might have wasted a months worth of practice time! Smile

Shane

Thanks, Shane. It wasn't On Demand. And I have ordered other instant downloads successfully from them. Truth is, I forgot all about it until this thread. I just emailed them about it. Very likely it was somehow my error, and yes, all that practice time ... lost!
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Ah, it _was_ On Demand after all. Dunno how I missed that. Well, it looks nice. I'll have to see if I can actually learn it. It is very deceptive in the demo, I think.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
669 Posts

Profile of Alel
I acknowledge that the cascade of the Heinstein Shuffle looks more real under scrutiny, but I find it difficult to remove the pause between the time the interweaving and the cascade (the the 'move' is done). Im not quite there yet since last time I practiced the Heinstein.

The Truffle Shuffle, in the other hand, has an easier transition between the interweaving and the cascade. Though the cascade is not that convincing as compared to the Heinstein shuffle, the fact that I could do the cascade immediately after the interweave makes the whole thing illusive, because I couldn't careless about looking down at my hands as I do it.

Regarding the cut after the Truffle Shuffle: I think it adds to the deceptiveness of the shuffle. The fact that you did a real cut after the shuffle implies that you really are disturbing the order of the deck; implying that the shuffle should be real. That's why the only time I would glance down at my hands is during the cut right after the shuffle and not during.
andyvan3226
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of andyvan3226
Doing the shuffle left handed eliminates the requirement to cut afterwards. Great tutorial on D&D's website!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
The Truffle can be done so it needs a cut, as well as so it does not. I believe it is taught with the cut, but simply reversing which hand is doing what you eliminate the cut. However, you will not get the illusion of the top card being buried, but that is likely not the most important thing far many magicians.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
771 Posts

Profile of Loz
I do the shuffle left-handed as mentioned, but I have a question.

It is taught such that only one packet is ever sprung. I've added a spring to the last top packet as well which certainly seems to improve the illusion. I wonder if Derek Delgaudio has a reason for not springing that section?

Anyone else do this?

Thanks,
Loz
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2440 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Alel took the time to put into words exacly what I feel about the two shuffles. Done to perfection the Heinstein "may" be superior but the Truffle is easier for many to do convincingly
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
Hi,

I tried to buy the shuffle from Dan & Dave but when I tried to paypal them from Belgium my payement was refused saying that they do not accept payements from non american paypal accounts. I send them a message but got no reply. I'm paying magic items in the US with paypal for several years now without any problems. Anyway I do not give out my creditcardnr any more so is there another source where I can order the truffel shuffle and pay it with paypal?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The Truffle Shuffle is the best in hand shuffle and is to strolling performance what the Zarrow Shuffle is to the tabled work.

Extremely deceptive, it's, like the Zarrow Shuffle, worth taking the time to do it perfectly well. Gems should be respected and it would be nice not to see it butchered.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Ivan Hamaric
View Profile
New user
Croatia
94 Posts

Profile of Ivan Hamaric
Quote:

It is taught such that only one packet is ever sprung. I've added a spring to the last top packet as well which certainly seems to improve the illusion. I wonder if Derek Delgaudio has a reason for not springing that section?

Anyone else do this?

I feel only the bottom packet should be sprung. If you observe a standard riffle shuffle from the top, you wil notice very little movement of either cards or fingers. Therefore, I'm inclined to say that springing the top packet actually compromises the illusion, rather than improving it. I would imagine Derek Delgaudio doesn't spring the top packet exactly for this reason.

Just my two cents...
"Doubtless the pleasure is as great
Of being cheated, as to cheat..."

Samuel "Hudibras" Butler (1612-1680)
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-03-19 15:31, Lawrence O wrote:
The Truffle Shuffle is the best in hand shuffle and is to strolling performance what the Zarrow Shuffle is to the tabled work.

Extremely deceptive, it's, like the Zarrow Shuffle, worth taking the time to do it perfectly well. Gems should be respected and it would be nice not to see it butchered.

Monsieur Etienne,
You know how these "best" things work so I won't go there as far as comparing the Heinstein and The Truffle, or Lorayne's Riffle Diffle. But, is there also equal argument for excellent approaches such as Harry Lorayne's Expert Full Deck Overhand, or John Cornelius's Oh Calcutta?

I guess I am trying to ascertain why a riffle would be deserved to be called the best.

Merci,
Vlad
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Breather
I'd say the TS is the best in the hands false riffle shuffle. As for comparing it to a false overhand, well they are different so not sure there is any value in comparing them. No need to choose one over the other - use them both.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Truffle Shuffle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL