The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Storing Stuff (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Howdy,
I have a great big Roll-On table which I use for kid's parties. The biggest prop is a rabbit production box which takes up a lot of room and makes it difficult to get other props in and out of the box.

What have others done to solve this problem?

Should I get a roadcase made for my production box?

Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
My magic box is approx 13" high, 21" wide and 14" deep. It stands on one of the collapsible music stands and is very sturdy. I designed and built it with Billy Whizz. We each looked at our shows and sized the box so everything fits and is easy to get to. The back 3" is a flap/pocket which drops down to make a table area to place props ready for use, and doubles as a stowage for flat items. This also means he box is open at the back which makes access easier. The top folds over the front to make the table top which is 22" x 11" and has a built in card stand which is 2/3rds the width of the table.

As props and tricks are used they're placed back in their own stowages inside the box so reset at the end of the show is minimal. The dividers and stowages are not rocket science, no one sees them so I just use cut up cereal packets and gaffer tape. All my wands are stowed in one place so I just reach over and remove the one I want, and the placement of the stowages is governed by their use and when I need them. That way things that are used first don't obstruct me from getting to other stuff later. I can send pictures if anyones interested.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
How about getting a roadcase for all of your stuff, including the rabbit box?

I got one made for me, it's got wheels, a couple of trays that slot in each with a few compartments. It's really great!

If you do go down this route, make sure it's big enough to cater for future expansion! Smile

James.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The roll on table is itself a roadcase with enough to room to fit everything. The problems arise when you try and take things out of the box.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi James, a road case is OK for big shows but no good if your in and out of peoples houses doing birthday parties.

I used to use a roll on table, but changed to my present setup due to the same problems your having Nicolas. My present box is No 3, After I build one I always find bits that could be improved.

Have you tried puting the bunny box in, then building dividers in the left over space to hold your other props etc. Just use card and gaffer tape, after a bit of experimentation you may find the problems not totally cured but there is an improvement.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have done that but I am still not 100% happy. I'd love to see any pics you might have. laugh@funnybones.com.au

Want to here something silly? I thought, until very recently, that Roll on Tables were actually Rolon Tables (someones messy hand writing led me astray) and were named after its inventor Mr. Rolon. Smile

Nigel Doublelift?
Peter Thumbtip?
Sir Anthony Run Rabbit Run?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I'll break out the digital camera later on and take some photos for you. You may find that the only way you're going to achieve what you want with the roll-on table is to carry the bunny box separately.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Mark Andrews
View Profile
New user
Coventry in the UK
31 Posts

Profile of Mark Andrews
Clive; I too would also be very interested in seeing photo's of your Magic Box/Table. Sounds interesting.

Regards and thanks
Mark Andrews
Email: mark.andrews@ukf.net
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hi Nicholas: Have you heard of Wolf's Magic? http://www.WolfsMagic.com

Chance will be putting out a side table down the road, that might fit your needs. I'm not sure how much I'm able to give out yet, so it might be best to email him personally with this question. I'm sure he'd be happy to send you drawings of his design. His design is awesome, and should solve your problem with "where do I put this?" issues. Chance can be reached at magician@wolfsmagic.com

Best of luck to you! Smile

Dave
http://www.MagicalBirds.com

PS - Great pic!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Side tables are OK if you've got the room, which at birthday parties in someone's house is often in short supply. I think, like me, Nicholas does a lot of such parties and wants something a bit more space saving.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Aahh, space saving. Can anyone tell us how to get a folding screen, five 3ft marionettes a party, a 60 watt amp, a hinged light box, a 'Rolon' table (yes they WERE called this!), and a drummer's accessory case full of tapes, CDs, leads etc. - down to one journey to the car!! Now that would be a magical suggestion! I don't get exhausted entertaining children - just loading in and out!! Been away from the 'Little Darlings' section for a while - did you miss me? What do you mean 'no'!!

Tony.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi Tony, I take it you don't take that lot into Mrs Smiths 15' x 12' living room then.
Where have you been?
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Hi Clive, - Well yes, we used to squeeze into houseparties with this sort of set-up. But over recent years have always advertised as "hired halls preferred" - so we are at the moment 100% church halls, scout halls, village halls and community centres. Having said that we sometimes feel we have alienated ourselves from potential houseparties and other entertainers are probably earning the same as us locally for just taking in two suitcases! I tell you, - you can never win in this business! What brought about our overwhelming success in the 1980s is now a millstone round our necks (marionettes). But to trade without these would probably mean re-establishing in another area as they are still so popular and many people book because of this so unique feature.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi Tony, Why spoil a good thing eh? If your earning enough dosh, and your diary is full, you don't need to do houseparties. One of the benefits of being a success is you can pick and chose where and when you work.

The people that amaze me are the ones that do turn up with their show in a suitcase or two, then have to use a table provided by the booker to perform their show. What do they do if there is no table?

I am almost totally self sufficient, I have to do 2 journeys to the car for my 2-hour parties but that's only because the box with the new lion puppet in is bigger than scamps old box. I even built my minidisc player, flashing lights and rotating disco lights into one box. It also houses 2 radio mic recievers on different frequency's just in case the one in my coomber breaks down. My headset mic is variable frequency so it works with all my recievers. The only thing I need is power, I even built a 6 gang socket into the box containing my mini disc and lights so all I require is one 240v electrical socket and I'm away.

I put 30' of cable on it so it's very rare that a socket is not within my reach, and in an emergency I have an extra extention lead in my car. My music box, and magic box are designed to make my life easier, and allow me to be in and out of parties with as little fuss and setup as possible. why struggle when you don't have to?
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
This is probably going back over old ground and will open up differences again Clive, but yes I agree with you over entertainers using available tables. It seems so amateurish. I use hall tables for putting CD/tape deck on etc. (with my velvet covers) - but for magic it HAS to be something special. I also know of entertainers that ask the customer to bring a tape deck by the way!! They perform in the depths and darkness of winter under bad lighting - creating about as much party ambience as a gas engineer! They shout out their tonsils without any form of amplification and then get bad tempered when children won't listen or parents are talking! But somehow they always seem to have lots of advertising publicity to force upon not only parents - but also the children!! (I'd better stop now!)

Tony.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I just bought my own lapel mike etc. yesterday and really wanted to try it out but I had to rush out to a show at a shopping centre.

In my rush (and stupidity) I didn't even think that I needed my brand new mike at the gig!

I ended up having to project (not yell) my voice when I could have used my brand new kit!

ARGHHH!

I was thinking that instead of using another box for the rabbit box I could use a custom made bag. It would be lighter, cooler for the bunny and easier to store. Perhaps a square bag with a zip off lid and strong handles on the sides.

Whilst I would make it look nice, it wouldn't have to look like a prop since the children will only ever see it when I arrive.

The only time carrying it separately would be a hassle would be the trip to their front door. For BIG shows I have to make two trips anyway.

Is this a good idea or would it make me look unprofessional? (remembering the bag will look nice but not like a prop)
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think the key to all of this is to make sure you consolidate your props the best you can. The Roll On table is certainly one way to do this, but for other props, getting cases made or even using case bags seem to work great also.

I have also found that the collapsible bags that Caselogic puts out work really well and can carry an a lot of stuff. This helps save me numerous trips back and forth from my car. After your done using it, it simply folds down flat and does not take much room at all. I think you can find these at most Target stores.

Check them out and see if they may work for you.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Sounds Great!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nicholas. Try them out as they may be an option for you. They can carry quite a load and are large enough that my rabbit ringer or even my Dove to Rabbit can fit in easily.

What is also nice is that they can close up with a zipper at top and are waterproof. This way it gets the items out of the heat or the wet weather to and from loading and unloading.

For me at home, space is essential as I am in an apt. When I get home my props go back into their designated shelf or bin space, and the bags get easily folded down next to the roll on table. Makes it very easy to pack up for the next show.

The alternative to this would be to get a footlocker type case. I know they make the standard ones that everyone has seen, but they also make square ones which are not as heavy or combersome and they are big enough for larger props like square circles etc. You can put some foam on the sides and your all set.

Hope these give you more information that you may be able to use. If you have any specific questions, just PM me. =)
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I have the ORIGINAL plans in front of me for the Rolon Table. Dated 1963 by "Supreme Magic Co., Bideford England". "DO IT YOURSELF - FULL PLANS FOR MAKING ROLON TABLE" (illustrations). "BY PERMISSION OF THE ELDERS MAGIC CO., USA (Tom Palmer).

YOU can carry your Act to your next date and actually set up right in front of the audience. Your props may be pre-set at home. In fact, the audience will marvel at the simplicity of your setting up. The case becomes the table for the act and the table becomes the case for your exit. Use it as the final effect for a walk off to a big hand!! How? With ROLON. less than thirty seconds to set up and be ready to go!" End front page text.

Apparently Edwin Hooper at Supreme traded some ideas with Tom Palmer to be able to market the exclusive rights to Rolon plans in UK. Those must have been the days of gentlemanly courtesy, - people would just rip-off these days wouldn't they?

In memory of the sheer genius of both Edwin and Tom I'll call my roll on a 'ROLON'!

Best Wishes - Tony.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Storing Stuff (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL