The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Brush with the law question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Maybe he'd have better look with the School for Scoundrels Jumbo Trade Show Shells.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-03-14 05:42, Genghis wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-09 17:18, Bill Palmer wrote:
Harry Anderson presented three card monte on the Drag in Austin. He handled it by having a police officer watch the show.

Did he have to pay the police department for this?

Genghis

No. There are ways that you can get the police to do all sorts of interesting things for you without actually paying them money, and they are absolutely legal.

I'll give you an example. I did a lot of shows for police officers. I used to do a thumbcuff routine that was similar in concept to a Kellar rope tie. I followed this by a straitjacket escape.

I had a standing offer with any police department that if there were any of their officers who used thumbcuffs, I would show them how to keep a prisoner from escaping from them.

They viewed me as being "humanitarian." I viewed myself as being "pragmatic."

Quote:
On 2010-03-14 10:35, fireperformer911 wrote:
What about a Sign that said Con Game Demo or Magic Show? Would that make difference to Law Enforcement and Spectators Perceptions?

Probably not. The only thing I could think of that would keep the police off your back would be to call one of them over to your pitch before you even started and ask him to watch what you were going to do. If he said, "HELL NO!!! That's a con game," then drop the subject.

OTOH, if you offered to teach the police department a couple of really basic things that shell game operators and/or three card monte workers do (which are really basic things they should know in the first place), you become a "gambling consultant."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Billie Bonkers
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Billie Bonkers
I agree with all the above advise. If for some strange reason you feel you want to continue with your act and not change it ...then consider/try writing to the mayor. I have done this on many occasions. Actually write a letter explaining what you want to do. Make it clear you are a responsible professional. Make the arguments in support of street entertainment. Say exactly where you want to perform and when. Be very polite and confident. You may well get a positive responce. Next time your stopped by the "boys in blue" you've got a letter in your pocket from the boss! Failing this change your act!!!! Good luck!
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
I disagree with leaving it out. I have a friend and the bulk of his show is the shell game I have seen him do it many times. He has even went to new orleans and worked down there with no problems at all. One thing I noticed is he established himself as a magician first. He has his own routine where the spectators DO NOT PICK SHELLS. I heard Kozmo tell me about working a pitch with BoB Sheets, and bob did the shell game. Bob had his crowd chant many times through out the show" DO NOT PLAY THIS FOR MONEY" .

to say leave things out that look like gambling could also mean no cups and balls. I do the cups and have heard on several occasions people think it might be the shell game.

this is my own idea for doing the shell game as a magic show and not to get it confused with a conn. Look like a clown or wear extremely bright colors, because con men never want to draw attention to them selves.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 3:55pm
I just added this so It would go back to the top. This is interesting at least to me.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
To keep this at the top... and to give me one more post... here is my tuppence worth (two-pen'eth)

In Regensburg we have buskers who play musical instruments, dance, create street art, sell magazines, set up stalls for everything, sing, stand still (statues) and of course perform magic; although not many at the moment. They all have to have a license granted by the town council.

NAY! I hear you say: busking is free... without hindrance... an inalienable right... in the constitution... (or amendments thereof)

BUT, the license is for temporarily changing the street use... clever huh? It's the same department used to get permission to put a sign in the pedestrianized zone which temporarily blocks a part of the street (sale, eat at Joe's, etc.) or to put up a stall to sell stuff.

If you make a noise (music, singing etc.) then it costs (27,50 EUR for 3 days, which is the maximum) if you perform magic, statue etc. it is free but you have to register.

Upshot is, you have a license: you are known: police check and move on...

If your town does not do this, get a councillor on your side to issue you with a permit.

I know that I am suggesting things which may be against the "code" of busking but it might solve Mark's mate's problem...

as always I refer you to my signature... Nighty Night... Timmy.
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
Quote:
On 2010-03-29 17:14, Tim Dowd wrote:

If your town does not do this, get a councillor on your side to issue you with a permit.

I register with the city of St. Louis (where I live) because I work big events and tourist traps throughout the year. Oddly enough, I get more trouble here while carefully following city codes and with my permit openly displayed than I do in any other city...where I never bother to pick up any licenses or permits, or learn the local laws.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Quote:
On 2010-03-31 09:26, BMF wrote:
Quote:

I register with the city of St. Louis (where I live) because I work big events and tourist traps throughout the year. Oddly enough, I get more trouble here while carefully following city codes and with my permit openly displayed than I do in any other city...where I never bother to pick up any licenses or permits, or learn the local laws.

Sorry to hear that... any particular examples you may want to share?
Timothy Dowd
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Perhaps a sign that reads "Swindles & Sidewalk Games YOU CAN NOT WIN!" that you hang on the front of your table while you do the shells or monte.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-03-14 05:42, Genghis wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-09 17:18, Bill Palmer wrote:
Harry Anderson presented three card monte on the Drag in Austin. He handled it by having a police officer watch the show.

Did he have to pay the police department for this?

Genghis

AFAIK no.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
To keep this at the top... and to give me one more post... here is my tuppence worth (two-pen'eth)

In Regensburg we have buskers who play musical instruments, dance, create street art, sell magazines, set up stalls for everything, sing, stand still (statues) and of course perform magic; although not many at the moment. They all have to have a license granted by the town council.

NAY! I hear you say: busking is free... without hindrance... an inalienable right... in the constitution... (or amendments thereof)

BUT, the license is for temporarily changing the street use... clever huh? It's the same department used to get permission to put a sign in the pedestrianized zone which temporarily blocks a part of the street (sale, eat at Joe's, etc.) or to put up a stall to sell stuff.

If you make a noise (music, singing etc.) then it costs (27,50 EUR for 3 days, which is the maximum) if you perform magic, statue etc. it is free but you have to register.

I know that I am suggesting things which may be against the "code" of busking but it might solve Mark's mate's problem...

as always I refer you to my signature... Nighty Night... Timmy.

You are talking about Germany. We are discussing the US. Different laws, different constitution, different circumstances.

BTW, Regensburg is one of my favorite cities. I was there right after die Arkaden went up. Ruined the old shops. Too bad.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 19:27, Bill Palmer wrote:
...<snip>

You are talking about Germany. We are discussing the US. Different laws, different constitution, different circumstances.

BTW, Regensburg is one of my favorite cities. I was there right after die Arkaden went up. Ruined the old shops. Too bad.

Hi Bill, you are right. I am an Englishman in Regensburg (cue the music...) I was only in Virginia for 5 years and never played the streets but I can imagine some old puritan leftover culture being influential in the modern day perceptions of street entertainment. This will probably lead to intolerance "'cos it's fun" Smile

Sorry to encroach on your discussion... won't happen again Smile (not)

The Arcaden has expanded now and the old Post building across the street is a night club and a sushi bar... the hill up towards the "Kneitinger Keller" biergarten has a load of new student apartments in crazy colors, The "Bahnhof" is integrated fully into the shopping mall.

Other changes are the oldest stone bridge across the Danube has been closed to traffic and a three year project to restore it has begun... The town center is still pedestrianized and fantastic... come on over and taste the Mediterranean flair... anyone visiting will have me as their personal guide for three days...

(end of advertisement...)
Timothy Dowd
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
Save the gambling routines for paid gigs.
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
PM'ed.

Quote:
On 2010-04-06 18:40, Tim Dowd wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-31 09:26, BMF wrote:
Quote:

Sorry to hear that... any particular examples you may want to share?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Brush with the law question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL