The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Strolling magic. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't mess with odd loads. Juat use some lemons or limes until you have worked a year or two.

KEEP IT SIMPLE

get on with it
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
J.G.:

I really want you to be good at this. I think the rest of the guys here do, too.

Don't worry about doing a bad show. All of us have done them. It's part of the learning process. Don't burden your spectators with the responsibility of analyzing your show. You can figure out what works for you pretty quickly.

Hint: If the all suddenly leave, you just blew the suck-o-meter out.

Your biggest advantage is that all of us are telling you not to worry about it. Just go out and do it. You will improve.

But if you never go out and try it, you can't improve.

There is a non-magic book that explains this process. It's called Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz. He explains how the science of cybernetics applies to the human condition. Cybernetics is about controlling systems by feedback.

Example: You are a toddler. You take a few bumbling steps, and then suddenly you are running around. You see a large white object in front of you, and you think it's the sofa. It isn't. It's the wall. You hit it. It hurts, but you aren't injured. You have just received negative feedback. If you are a smart toddler, you understand that running into hard objects is not a good idea, because it hurts. You may have a boo-boo on your chin, but you know a lot more about running into things than the kid next door who has never gotten out of his crib. So you correct your behavior.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
J.G.,

Just curious - did you ever check out the "advice for magicians" at Ian Rowland's website?

And as already mentioned there is nothing funny about throwing a fake rock at your audience - on the street or anywhere else. You could, perhaps, get away with it with your friends but it is not likely to amuse anyone else. Stick with the fruit.
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:

Just curious - did you ever check out the "advice for magicians" at Ian Rowland's website?

Thanks for mentioning it, interesting thoughts.

Only advice I really have is "IT'S BETTER TO GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING, THEN TO STAY HOME AND PLAN SOMETHING!", and even that advice is second hand.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 13:17, epoptika wrote:
J.G.,

And as already mentioned there is nothing funny about throwing a fake rock at your audience - on the street or anywhere else. You could, perhaps, get away with it with your friends but it is not likely to amuse anyone else. Stick with the fruit.

I did not see anything saying advice for magicians but I saw something titled How To Perform A Miracle. Talking about donating blood and just doing it if that is it?
Jeremy Gates
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 15:18, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 13:17, epoptika wrote:
J.G.,

I did not see anything saying advice for magicians but I saw something titled How To Perform A Miracle. Talking about donating blood and just doing it if that is it?

You did not look very hard then.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I disagree. He didn't look past the password. If you don't know the password to the Magicians Only section, you won't find the advice.

I'm going to spoonfeed you the first part of what epoptika is referring to:

http://www.ianrowland.com./Gateways/Pass2ForMagiOnly.php

enter the password. If you can't figure it out, google the name of the illusion.

That will take you to a page with several buttons. Click on the one marked "Advices."

Read the next page thoroughly. Print it out. Have it tattooed on the inside of your eyelids. Well, maybe not that.

Now you don't have any excuses.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-04-06 19:22, Bill Palmer wrote:
I disagree. He didn't look past the password. If you don't know the password to the Magicians Only section, you won't find the advice.

enter the password. If you can't figure it out, google the name of the illusion.

That will take you to a page with several buttons. Click on the one marked "Advices."

Read the next page thoroughly. Print it out. Have it tattooed on the inside of your eyelids. Well, maybe not that.

I rechecked the site without your link just to see if I could find it without it and I don't know how I missed it. Anyway shame on me for not looking hard enough. Thanks for the link, and I thought of Houdin as well like it said a lot do. However I didn't think that sounded right anyway. I can try the magic pedia of Genii magazine. If not I think one of my Jim Steinmeyer books speaks of it. If not their are dozens of library books I could run through. My local library has many of the magic books from the golden age of magic. If they ever discard any I have got to get my hands on them.

Quote:
On 2010-04-06 22:16, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Quote:

I rechecked the site without your link just to see if I could find it without it and I don't know how I missed it. Anyway shame on me for not looking hard enough. Thanks for the link, and I thought of Houdin as well like it said a lot do. However I didn't think that sounded right anyway. I can try the magic pedia of Genii magazine. If not I think one of my Jim Steinmeyer books speaks of it. If not their are dozens of library books I could run through. My local library has many of the magic books from the golden age of magic. If they ever discard any I have got to get my hands on them.

I was right Houdin was too long ago and was actually invented in 1965 by a guy which I will not say because it will give it away to others.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 10:34pm
I remember in a private message Bill Palmer once told me my beginners set wasn't heavy enough. That I needed heavier metal. I didn't understand at the time why. I do now though otherwise when they tip over they roll over. Mainly though I went to show my routine to a friend outside with a little table. The cups and balls were blowing everywhere and there was only a slight breeze. It's funny what little things can be overlooked. It would be bad to use that set street performing only to have things go into the street run over by cars and trampled by the crowds walking. I need a heavy duty set even if they are pricy! I already know of a ton of sites selling great quality ones thanks to other magicians so I am good on that. However any particular ones recommended, I don't care about really fancy ones despite them being nice. I just need something that gets the job done. P.S. I forget what company but they are cheap ones of $10 from penguin magic that come in a fake red velvet bag with two draw strings and crochet balls (the cups are aluminum).
Jeremy Gates
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One clue would have been this. The person most people call Robert Houdin was not named Robert Houdin.

Here are a couple of links that might help you understand this:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5538192
and
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4651034

This may sound silly to you, but I think that knowing this is very important.

And you would have known that since "Houdin's" first name was Jean, not Robert, it could not have been the correct answer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-04-06 23:35, Bill Palmer wrote:
One clue would have been this. The person most people call Robert Houdin was not named Robert Houdin.

Here are a couple of links that might help you understand this:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5538192
and
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4651034

This may sound silly to you, but I think that knowing this is very important.

And you would have known that since "Houdin's" first name was Jean, not Robert, it could not have been the correct answer.

Already knew that actually and have his names writen down in my list of favorite magicians. I have read a few books on the history of magic and theater. But I just remember Rober Houdin. I will still half to read your links though. Thanks.
Jeremy Gates
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
You are very lucky if your library has older magic books on their shelves. If they have "Our Magic" or "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay you should definitely read them (several times).

I have a set of very heavy Gazzo cups, in guild metal, that I'll let you have for a mere $350 if you don't want your cups blowing over.

Hey Bill, I found this quote in one of my notebooks -"Practice everything you know until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." I found the quote in a magazine article. It was attributed to one Bill Palmer, author of How To Be A Professional Entertainer. Was that you?
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-04-07 09:29, epoptika wrote:
You are very lucky if your library has older magic books on their shelves. If they have "Our Magic" or "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay you should definitely read them (several times).

I have a set of very heavy Gazzo cups, in guild metal, that I'll let you have for a mere $350 if you don't want your cups blowing over.

Hey Bill, I found this quote in one of my notebooks -"Practice everything you know until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." I found the quote in a magazine article. It was attributed to one Bill Palmer, author of How To Be A Professional Entertainer. Was that you?

Has none of those however I should look into those. The cups are too expensive right now though. If I bought those at all it would be a few weeks of saving up. Any that would be about as good but around $100 or more? Less than that would be good but I am sure that isn't going to get me anything I am looking for.

Quote:
On 2010-04-05 18:56, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-20 23:29, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-11 23:42, Bill Palmer wrote:
You need an act.

Repeat.

YOU NEED AN ACT.

The problem with most magicians who don't know how to work a crowd is that they don't have an act.

It doesn't have to be a long act. But it has to have a certain amount of structure.

Get Kozmo's DVD.

If you can't figure out an act on your own, copy someone else's. But don't just go out there and inflict magic on passers by.

It strikes me, after re-reading your orignal paragraph that you really don't have a clue about what you are doing. Have you ever seen anyone busk? Do you really know what that is?

You are more concerned with your equipment than you are with your act or your audience.

You keep referring to doing street magic and strolling. Maybe you need to go over to the street magic section.

You won't get many tips doing street magic, though.

Working on my act now and once I get some material on street magic or whatever you may call it that will really help. Ideas are coming faster than I thought. I could use some input how is this?

Things to use- cards, coins, cups and balls, billiard balls, sponge balls, shell game, wooly worm, thread, invisible thread (body hook ups), wax, loops, matches, linking rings, ring and string.

Attention grabbers- linking rings, billiard balls, wooly worm, cards, cups and balls, thread.

Routines
1. Do a little pencil stuff with thread combined with the wooly worm and a cup from your cups and balls set. Once their attention is there and a bit of a crowd gathers go into my cups and balls routine to go into my sponge ball routine. Proceeded by my billiard ball routine.
2. Do the linking rings and once a crowd gathers do some ring and string effects possibly even cut end resored rope once you are though with the ring. Followed by quarter through ring and floating ring. Going into Hindu and dragon thread followed by string from eye and or maybe even thread and needles.
3. Start by doing the hummer card once a crowd gathers put the card away and pull out a deck doing tricks with cards. Obviously coming up with a routine with cards. Probably including Monte routines somewhere along the way.

I was thinking I cant go from a cups and balls routine where I end with three sponge balls to a sponge ball routine. Because I then half to put the sponge balls back in my pockets and the audience knows that they are there. Thus ruining the magical transpositions. For the same reason I couldn't go from a sponge ball routine to a cups and balls routine. They know the sponge balls are in my pocket so when I produce the sponge balls they will think back to me reaching in my pockets placing the other balls in. Putting two and two together figuring it out. Perhaps I could though if I had something different between the two so they forget that stuff. However considering Bill Palmer said I should finish with the cups and balls unless my sponge ball routine turns out to be weak being good for the smaller effects he said I should start concluding with. I should put the sponge balls first. Build up the crowd with my wooly worm and animated pencil. Go into the sponge balls proceeded by perhaps the billiard balls concluding with the cups and balls.

I was looking on penguin magic they had some in the $60-$80 range made of copper and brass. Also RNT has nice ones but from the looks they only have them by the cup and not in sets of three. I guess only chop cups? Stevens magic is always very expensive but I suppose if nothing else I can't go wrong their even if they can be over priced. Any other suggestions I can't find the other sites after looking through my list of sites and googling a while? I could search around here too in the mean time though.
Jeremy Gates
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
Some of the more experienced performers here might shout me down for this, but I'm not sure how good cards would be for working a crowd on the street. Up close they are great but I would be concerned about wind. Just a thought, and if I am wrong, by all means, someone please correct me.

As far as the sponge ball thing: as long as you keep the 3rd ball either in plain sight or have a spectator hold it to ensure "no funny business" while you perform the rest of your routine, you should be OK. If they see a 3rd ball and it goes back into your pocket while you perform with the other 2, then yea they are going to be suspicious. But guess what, you are performing magic, they are already suspicious or very stupid.

Or if you want to start with sponge balls, vanish one and produce a "cups and balls" ball and use that as a lead in to your C&B routine. The only thing really holding you back is your own imagination.

RNT2 makes complete sets, chop cups, and combo sets. MJM has some good prices on entry level cups and combo sets. I just got a Bazar De Magica combo set, as a barter for some graphic design work I did for a friend. I am by no means an expert when it comes to cups, but they seem sufficient to the task at hand to get me by until I am sure that a nice set from RNT2 is going to be a worthwhile investment based on how much I will use them. I believe the retail price from MJM was less than $40. Food for thought. Yet again, if I miss the mark here, please correct me somebody.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:

Yep!

Posted: Apr 7, 2010 3:28pm
The Bazar di Magia cups retail for $42.00 for a combo set in aluminum and go up to $95.00 for a combo set in copper.

Street price may be lower.

Standard cups (non-combo) start at $33.00 for aluminum and go up to $88 for copper.

Brass cups in either type are a few dollars less than the copper ones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
Thanks for the info Bill Smile
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-04-07 14:27, dmueller wrote:
Some of the more experienced performers here might shout me down for this, but I'm not sure how good cards would be for working a crowd on the street. Up close they are great but I would be concerned about wind. Just a thought, and if I am wrong, by all means, someone please correct me.

As far as the sponge ball thing: as long as you keep the 3rd ball either in plain sight or have a spectator hold it to ensure "no funny business" while you perform the rest of your routine, you should be OK. If they see a 3rd ball and it goes back into your pocket while you perform with the other 2, then yea they are going to be suspicious. But guess what, you are performing magic, they are already suspicious or very stupid.

Or if you want to start with sponge balls, vanish one and produce a "cups and balls" ball and use that as a lead in to your C&B routine. The only thing really holding you back is your own imagination.

RNT2 makes complete sets, chop cups, and combo sets. MJM has some good prices on entry level cups and combo sets. I just got a Bazar De Magica combo set, as a barter for some graphic design work I did for a friend. I am by no means an expert when it comes to cups, but they seem sufficient to the task at hand to get me by until I am sure that a nice set from RNT2 is going to be a worthwhile investment based on how much I will use them. I believe the retail price from MJM was less than $40. Food for thought. Yet again, if I miss the mark here, please correct me somebody.

The MJM cups look very promissing, would anyone suggest any particular ones from that site?
Jeremy Gates
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/cups-balls......-52.html

is the exact set I got from the barter. Like I said, they seem to be fairly serviceable. I am going to be ordering a set of non gaffed balls in the near future for use with these cups. That way I will have the option of using the gimmick or not, depending on what I am doing.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2010-04-07 15:25, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

Yep!

:dance: !!!
I will definitely put that on my reading list!
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-04-06 22:20, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 22:16, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Quote:

I was right Houdin was too long ago and was actually invented in 1965 by a guy which I will not say because it will give it away to others.

Read it and it was excellent thanks everybody. One thing down and a youtube channel with a couple D.V.D.'s and one book to go. Youtube next.
Jeremy Gates
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
Ya know, I hate to say this but you keep taking one step forward and then a couple of steps back. In multiple threads you have brought up learning on youtube instead of getting the material via your own means (IE buying it). And every time you bring it up, people try and explain why that isn't kosher. But you just don't listen. I don't think you realize that the more you do that, the less people are going to want to help you.

I have tried to help you on a couple of occasions, both on the forums and in PM. I have seen you say elsewhere that you are 20 years old. It is time to grow up and quit hiding behind excuses. Buy the material (like the rest of us) or don't perform the routine.

With that being said, I am just going to walk away shaking my head at this point. Sorry for airing this in public, but hopefully it will start to sink in eventually
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Strolling magic. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL