The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Traditionally cut bikes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
Most card guy magicians will take their ordinary deck and smooth it by hand, so that the sides are as glass. How that is done is nicely explained by Mr Steve Youell.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1752 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Sure this is possible, some others want to work right out of the box and don´t want to put more work in it if they burn a deck a day.

Everybody should be able to choose his preferences, and this is great, having more variations to choose from.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2010-03-12 08:50, tommy wrote:
Most card guy magicians will take their ordinary deck and smooth it by hand, so that the sides are as glass. How that is done is nicely explained by Mr Steve Youell.

Actually Tommy, I INVENTED the procedure I teach-- Elmsley started the idea by only doing the corners, Ouelett(sp) expanded it a bit. My method came about because I didn't get what I was looking for from those methods.

As to the Bees-- I've tried them out and the work very well for shuffle work. Even after I made the edges feel like glass... Smile

BTW-- I burn through more than a dozen decks per show so I don't do this to every deck I use... but if I didn't go through all of those decks, I would. They last about 30% longer than a deck that is not treated and it only takes about five minutes.

SEY
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
782 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
More than a dozen decks a show!? What are you doing with all of those decks?

Out Of This Six Deck Shoe? Followed up by a cooler switch for another shoe preset with Sal Piacente's Memorized Shoe Stack?
If so, I am looking for a few good Mem-Shoe effects...

This smoothing of the cards, will it get the money?
Won't it take the finish off of my Tigers? (No ghosts for me, I still like to kick it old school, like a true hustler)

OK
Seriously though, I am curious to know how you go through so many cards... some effect that destroys a whole deck with each set?, or are you just handing them out after each set?
webstercolby
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of webstercolby
Quote:
On 2010-03-09 03:08, ein_doppelganger wrote:
Traditionally cut bikes...
Oh man,

Just have to say these things rock. I got a box from Richard Turner's website today and the pull through riffle shuffle just wants to work. The cards weave beautifully and slide through each other like air. I wonder how he manages to get them cut special by the USPCC.

I usually make a point to work with off the shelf run of the mill bikes but these are just too nice...

Just thought I would share that.

I too agree with doppel these cards have a great feel.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Quote:
Won't it take the finish off of my Tigers? (No ghosts for me, I still like to kick it old school, like a true hustler)

You seem preoccupied with Ellusionist decks.

Just sayin...

Steven Youell: Wouldn't buffing the edges to glass completely cancel the "cut?" The way I understand it at least the angle of the bevel on the edge of each card is what makes them interweave so nicely.
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
189 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Quote:
By Card-Shark: The main difference between a Richard Turner Deck and mine is the fact that I used genuine Bicycle card stock and so far as I know does Richard use Bee stock. Bee is slightly thicker and therefore even the card case has to be a little bit thicker to be able to hold all cards.

Yes, Card-Shark, Gold Seal Bikes are printed using Bee stock, because Richard prefers that his cards be manufactured using the USPCC’s highest quality paper. However, as I explained in another thread concerning Gold Seals, Richard had the Bee stock on his Gold Seals stamped to a caliper matching his own personal preference that, while within the caliper range of standard Bikes, is slightly thicker than the standard Bikes, but still thinner than standard Bee cards:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=188&26

Quote:

… From what I understand, these cards are slightly thicker then the normal bikes, are cut correctly, and feel more like a bee. Would that be correct Jason?

Yes, Michael, the cards are “traditionally cut” and are slightly thicker than “normal” Bikes, but that’s only one facet of their construction that sets them apart from normal Bikes (or any other card, for that matter). And, if they feel more like a Bee card, that’s because they are Bees!

As Steven Youell stated, “If I'm correct, it's not only the way the cards are cut, it's also the quality of the paper they're made from.”

That’s very true, Steven, but the distinctions do not end there.

First, Richard selected Bee paper, the finest USPCC stock available and, as Jason described above, each sheet was hand-selected by a USPCC employee to ensure that it was of the highest quality.

Second, the paper was stamped to the caliper (thickness) that, in Richard’s expert opinion, creates the most flexible, yet durable and long-lasting card available.

Third, Richard selected his favorite embossing pattern and had it stamped to a depth that allows good handling and card separation, yet does not break down the structural integrity of the card, allowing each deck of Gold Seal Bicycle Cards to breathe properly and avoid the “gum-up” often caused by finger moisture, while withstanding hours of card handling pleasure.

Fourth, and an issue that was raised thus far only by carolinahusker, concerns the inking process, although carolinahusker’s question concerns the quality of the ink on the card backings. I don’t understand what he means by “Clear back design, ink blob, or in-between?”, but I assure you that the inking on both the faces and backs of these cards is impeccable. More importantly, Richard mandated that the ink penetrate the surfaces of each card to a depth that also plays a significant role in its flexibility.

Last, but certainly not least, Richard hand-tested a number of card finishes from among USPCC’s very best, selecting a durable, yet “soft” and flexible coating that handles moisture well, which also aids in reducing “gum-up”. (Interestingly, Richard often licks one or more of his fingertips when testing cards, to determine how well they react to moisture – those that hang-up receive low scores on his ranking scale of one-to-ten.)

Quote:

Jason, are these cards similar to The Cheat souvenir cards that he sells. They have a wonderful feel and handle like a dream.

Yes, Pepka, I checked with Mr. Turner today and the Gold Seal Bikes are made to the same specifications as his souvenir Gamblers Playing Cards. Having worked with both I assure you that, if you liked the feel and handling of the Gamblers Cards, you will be just as pleased with the Gold Seal Bikes.

Quote:
By Card-Shark: The Phoenix Deck is somehow to be placed in between a regular Bicycle Deck and the Richard Turner Deck, as the price of a Phoenix is 3 Dollar and a Turner Deck is 5 Dollar.

Card-Shark,

That may be true, but Gold Seal Bikes are sold by Walton Magic and other web sites for three dollars per deck when you order a dozen decks:

http://www.WaltonMagic.com

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
And went I recently went into my magic shop, the turners were 5-6 bucks and the phoneix deck was 30, with the instructions.

I will get one, someday. I do hear they are good cards
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2010-03-15 19:28, ein_doppelganger wrote:Steven Youell: Wouldn't buffing the edges to glass completely cancel the "cut?" The way I understand it at least the angle of the bevel on the edge of each card is what makes them interweave so nicely.

I can't answer that. All I know is that I bought a dozen, experimented with them and buffed a few of them to make sure that it wouldn't cancel out Richards work.

HOWEVER-- I am not a shuffle work maniac (I'm a maniac about other things) so I really can't test them with the same types of sleights most of you do. I do know that after buffing them I could still do perfect faro shuffles with them-- however I was pretty close to doing that with them out of the box. And it's fair to say that I'm USED to using decks that are treated using my method. So that's why I can't say for sure.

My interest in these cards was limited to what I do with cards and my method of treating the cards-- specifically because my experience has shown that decks treated with my method actually last about 30% longer on average.

Having said all of that I'd like to point out that I didn't even know I was being addressed in this thread until it was pointed out to me. So if anyone has any questions for me, please PM me so I don't appear rude. I just don't frequent "The Gambling Spot".

SEY
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Quote:
On 2010-03-15 19:28, ein_doppelganger wrote:
Quote:

You seem preoccupied with Ellusionist decks.

Just sayin...

Steven Youell: Wouldn't buffing the edges to glass completely cancel the "cut?" The way I understand it at least the angle of the bevel on the edge of each card is what makes them interweave so nicely.

Buffing the deck with it squared at an angle will preserve or create a bevel.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-03-16 17:13, kcg5 wrote:
And went I recently went into my magic shop, the turners were 5-6 bucks and the phoneix deck was 30, with the instructions.

I will get one, someday. I do hear they are good cards

30? Are you sure that wasn't for the Sum deck? Denny&Lee's in Las Vegas has the Phoenix decks for 3.00. The Sum decks are 30.00
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I'm really about to think this area is mainly haunted by magicians Smile.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
"hey-hey-hey, it's MAGIC!"

Great old song.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
AMCD- you have been saying that for quite awhile... Ill give you a hint-IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 12:10, silverking wrote:
"hey-hey-hey, it's MAGIC!"

Great old song.

Thanks. Now I have the tune stuck in my head.

"Never believe it's not so...."
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Kevin,

I had some kind of doubts in the past, but now, I'm definitely sure.

I mean, debating for pages about traditionally cut cards in a "Gambling" section is absolutely awesome to me. Of course, it can be of some interest (stacking, faro, etc.) but, just think about the real world of private games, friendly games, pubs/clubs games, etc. The world I know. What do we have? Crappy decks, worn decks, old decks. Nowadays mainly plastic ones but very often bad Chinese crap or out of age Copag/Fournier (here, in Europe). Sometimes even absolutely unknown brands!

Then, traditionally cut cards or not has as much importance as the card box color...
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Can you do anything with plastic cards? I picked up a grocery store deck the other day, real difficult to work with. they are bridge sized to boot.
You never find bikes in New Zealand unless its with a poker set at the Warehouse store.

So what did decks feel like in Erdnase day? Does he describe an ideal deck? I'm imagine they didn't have the nice finish bikes have now Smile Does it make the moves easier / harder?
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Plastic cards are hard to handle because so many brands and so many types. Quality can be great (Copag, Fournier, Dal Negro, etc.), good (Gemaco, Modiano, etc.), poor (Kem - I could have said horrible too) or absolutely crap (Chinese stuff and "no names" brands).

Not that many trouble with SD, stacking, etc. But hard with BD or even PS, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Traditionally cut bikes (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL