The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My newest Acquisition! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-04-10 08:47, Brett Sherwood wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-10 12:15, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Automation and symmetry are not mutually dependent on one another. If I was trying to create the Sherwood cup effect I would consider using a roll die method, with an inner mandril and outer embossing die(s). Asymmetry - intentional or otherwise - could very easily be an integral part of the outer die(s), and different dies, applied in subsequent operations would almost certainly ensure more asymmetry.

Here's an example, albeit far lesser quality than the Sherwood cups, of the process having been used:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Embossed-Metal-Beade......09dd8074

Here's another example - note the reverse impression left on the backside: http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Victorian-Dus......59fc18c4

"Shavings" around embossed metal designs are not uncommon and do not contitute "proof" of engraving; metal is being moved with force here, and the granular nature of the material can easily result in such tiny flaws. However, engraving specifically involves the removal of metal to produce a design. To insist that engraving is the process to produce the Sherwood cups - which I have examined very closely - is to insist that huge volumes of metal were removed in order to leave behind the raised designs the the cups display. More importantly, the engraving process will not leave behind the tell-tale reverse impression on the interior of the cup. These cups are not engraved, and such an assertion borders on the ridiculous.

There may be some metal chasing involved in the background detail of the Sherwood cups, but it is not the main process used and is very unlikely to have been done without the used of a pneumatic chasing "hammer" and perhaps CNC guidance of that tool. Again, inconsistencies in the design do not constitute "proof" of hand work on these cups.

I agree that the Sherwood cups are very nice looking, and I understand their desirability within the magic community. Multiple steps and processes are obviously involved in their production. But the design is not engraved, by hand or otherwise.

TW

Hi TW
I guess my artisan has boggled you!!
For the record - my cups are HAND ENGRAVED - sorry you are completely wrong and if you would have contacted me via email in a quiet fashion I would have not needed to correct you here, but you place in in a very awkward situation. I do not lie on my web site.
All the best to you and no hard feelings.
Sincerely,
BRETT Sherwood
Hi Brett, thank you for clarifing this. I never doubted your word on the website. I really love the engraving on my cups and they are looking good with the patinazation that is forming on them. I know you are a busy man and I am eagerly waiting for my bag...take care and have fun!

Cardamagically,
Dominick Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Funny this popped up today. I was just putting together a new avatar with mine in it. Nice to hear a clarification from you Brett.
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
Quote:
On 2010-04-10 09:40, kentfgunn wrote:
Brett,

Every day I at least go in and wave to the cups you made. Those three little pieces of silver changed my life in magic.

Each person I know that has bought one or more sets of your cups thinks that your product is the finest example of cups and balls manufacture available. The semantics of how the elves you found to make the cups is of little import. If my discussion with the silversmith next door was out of line, I apologize.

Harkening back to the man who made the cups and balls so very popular with his seminal routine struck a chord in in many a man, young and old. I know that chord called to me from across the Atlantic.

Thanks for making my cups.

PS

TW, thanks for making that wand I use! Mastadon . . . you are a wild man!

PPS I know anyone can do the cups and balls with three lug nut caps and a drumstick. Performing with hand-made pieces of art allows the dreaming to be done.

Hi Kent
No problem at all. I bear no malice with anyone here. I'm simply lucky to have others think something I've designed is so special. I have almost finished my first book on my cups and balls. Give me two months.. The next of the trilogy may be the making of my cups and I plan including some pictures of 'in action' hand engraving, as well an enclosed DVD showing this live, so there will no no more confusion. My only trade secret, yes - I do have some, is the names of my engravers...?

Sorry I cannot be here more often, but it is prohibitive via satellite...

All The Best To You All,
Brett Sherwood
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Brett:

Glad you cleared that up.

Bon Voyage!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Just thought I'd come back and pay a visit to see what was what.

Figures!

Good for you Brett!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
PM'ed you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My newest Acquisition! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL