The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Using change bag twice in one show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blva888
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of blva888
For children, would it appear right to use a change bag twice in a show with children? I am thinking about changing a color streamer into individual silks. I would later on in the show do a miss made flag.

How else would I do a Color streamer to individual silks without a change bag?
Mr. Oops

The Worlds Greatest(?)

Magician

www.mromagicshow.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I would get a second change bag. There are different styles, some that look like purses, some that are flat rectangular bags, etc. I use two different ones in my show.

For my mismade flag I use a Jozo Bozo change hat.

Jim
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Consider using a rolled up piece of construction paper and a Dye Tube (see my Dollar Store Book 2 - Silk Gimmicks) or use a rolled up comic page or newspaper page and the technique known as the Mongolian Silk Mystery (in my Mini-Mysteries - Book 2). These will work with either of the needs you have, for a streamer to silks or for a mis-made flag. In fact, the original version of the Mismade Flag described in the Roce Encyclopedia (Volume 2) was performed with a Dye Tube and only got linked into the change bag crowd by those too lazy to practice misdirection and sleight of hand. No offense! If you want a real challenge, try Harold Rice's Mismade Blendo from Volume 3. You won't have many imitators!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
blva888
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of blva888
What if I use two change bags that are the same? So when I use one to change the streamer and put it back in my case and then later pull out the "same" change bag to do mismade flag. It might fool the adults and defiantly the children? What do you think?
Mr. Oops

The Worlds Greatest(?)

Magician

www.mromagicshow.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It sure fooled ME!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Well, on the premise that a change bag does not fool anyone ... Well, I can't answer one of your questions. I'm not saying that the change bag is not good, or useful ... but it is a tool that I don't think can create the feeling of "fool" on someone.
I would not use the same change bag twice in the same show, there are a variety of devices that can do the same job for a change bag.A change hat, a silk cabby, a tear apart bag for example ...
In addition I would recommend that if you have to use the change bag on just one of your effects use it in the Mismade flag.
My best,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
The change bag, like other props magicians use, has now made its way into magic sets sold to the general public like the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Delux......5&sr=8-1

I've had kids loudly tell me during my shows that they've got one of these change bags at home.

So given the above, and the caveat that one should only do the same trick twice in a show after careful consideration, you may want to think long and hard before using this item twice in one show.

:magicrabbit:
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8674 Posts

Profile of funsway
While the change bag concept is terrific, the use of such a stange object more like taking up a collection in church just isn't makical to me. Make a change-sack out of lunch bags or buy a change-cap -- anything except that weird prop even once.

You are performing for kids, but it is an adult who will pay you and another adult who will schedule the next gig. They also think their kid is a genius -- so never insult the inteligence of an adult in the back of the room.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
blva888
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of blva888
I am going to go with the tear apart bag and maybe get the devils handkerchief too.
Mr. Oops

The Worlds Greatest(?)

Magician

www.mromagicshow.com
bicycle66
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
Thoese are great choices I've tried the tear apart bag and it work for me as posted above I don't think you would want to use the same bag as it wouldn't fool many watching the show and wouldn't fool any paying for the show. Sean.
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
I have also gone with the tear apart change bag because of the change bags that are often included in magic sets. I have also had good luck with a zipper change bag. I use the type that moves the gimmick via a handle rather than a noticeable tab. It drives the kids who have the standard bag nuts.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Suggestion: If you are using two change bags in the same show, see to it they match. Never let the audience know that you have changed change bags for the same reason you would not openly ditch a regular deck of cards for a gimmicked one in front of the audience.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
blva888
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of blva888
Thanks Bob Sanders. That is what I was thinking of doing.
Mr. Oops

The Worlds Greatest(?)

Magician

www.mromagicshow.com
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
I would use the tube and rolled plastic gimmick widely available and not expensive as magic goes the first time every is surprised what is that bag the 2nd time plenty of time to think it through.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Using change bag twice in one show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL