The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Beware of Gigmasters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2010-03-10 22:20, Vick wrote:
The biggest problem with Gigmasters is they add 10 unasked for performers to every booking request

It's an OPT-OUT and it encourages bottom feeders

Ken Northridge -
You may want to check your numbers
Not going to post some one elses #'s here but as good as Chris Capeheart is (one of the best in the business and maybe the best crash link ever) he hasn't generated immense revenue through Gigmasters this year. That may be his choice as he can play just about any where he wants

You’re right. When I first started with GigMasters a couple of years ago, Chris was on top of the chart. Like you say, he can play anywhere he wants. So, maybe he got tired of playing the games you have to play with GigMasters.

I still think I have a valid point though, the gig does not always go to the lowest bidder, and I can say that from personal experience.

Don’t forget another plus to Gigmasters is every bid you make you get all the contact information for that prospect to follow up on in the coming years.

PS I agree, Chris Capehart’s crash link is fantastic! I use it in just about every show!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Danny,
You hit the nail on the head! If everyone boycotted services like gigmasters, they wouldn't be in business. It's only by paying them that we're hurting ourselves, and allowing them to compete with us! It's a brilliant concept on their part, and it's not all that black and white, but in essence, they have us paying them to compete with us! It's only from getting subscribers that they have the funds to pay for more advertising, to get better placement, to use as marketing for future subscribers! It's a weird cycle.

Anyway I've never been with gigmasters or any other online listing agency, but I'm sure there are benefits and downsides. I've heard gigmasters rating system is a little weird so you have to be careful there.

Great discussion, I agree with Hart, Benji, if you were desperate enough to seek out gigmasters, you must need the work, in which case your money would be much, much, much better spent on SEO. Also, why did you wait until the 31st day to call and ask for your money back?

Best wishes! Benji, it seems you're not alone, several people are getting more and more upset with gigmasters, maybe there's something to it!

Kevin
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
One of the points I was trying to make to Benji in the SEO thread is that only a minimal amount of effort will be required to get his site to rank very well for only the customers he wants to find him. While we see a lot of "mentalists" on magic forums, the fact is in the real world there aren't very many, so if you're one of the only ones in your area, you will do very well.

I outrank Gigmasters for the search terms I want people to find me for and Benji would as well. I only get quality leads from my site, as opposed to Gigmasters where most of the time I got everything but quality leads.

Quote:
On 2010-03-11 03:45, Hart Keene wrote:
Benji, I guess I don't understand...in another thread you knocked SEO/Adwords marketing yet you signed up for gigmasters??? They are ALL online leads bud.

Not only are they all online leads, but they are the same leads. Most of the time when I got a qualified lead on Gigmasters, they also filled out the request form on my site, typically within minutes of each other. I would have booked the show without Gigmasters.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2010-03-11 11:52, Domino Magic wrote:

Not only are they all online leads, but they are the same leads. Most of the time when I got a qualified lead on Gigmasters, they also filled out the request form on my site, typically within minutes of each other. I would have booked the show without Gigmasters.

Right on sir!!! I have had this happen many times! lol *** shoppers!
Quote:
On 2010-03-11 11:32, dearwiseone wrote:

You hit the nail on the head! If everyone boycotted services like gigmasters, they wouldn't be in business. It's only by paying them that we're hurting ourselves, and allowing them to compete with us! It's a brilliant concept on their part, and it's not all that black and white, but in essence, they have us paying them to compete with us! It's only from getting subscribers that they have the funds to pay for more advertising, to get better placement, to use as marketing for future subscribers! It's a weird cycle.

Such a good point you make, but now that I've taken the last year and a half to "build" my rating(4.5 stars out of 5) they have me by the you know what...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Hey Domino and Hart,

I still stand by what I said about SEO. Being number one in google is pointless for me because they are price shoppers which is apparently what most people on Gigmasters are as well.

My problem is with their horrible customer service skills. Once they took my money they didn't care about my needs I talked with 3 different people at Gigmasters and none of them helped, I don't plan on ever paying them again even if I booked 100 gigs from them (maybe 101 will get me back).
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-03-11 15:15, Benji Bruce wrote:
Hey Domino and Hart,

I still stand by what I said about SEO. Being number one in google is pointless for me because they are price shoppers...

And this is where you are completely wrong. I'm telling you because I am in the same situation as you. I DO NOT GET PRICE SHOPPERS! People looking for mentalists aren't comparing you to birthday party magicians who are willing to under-cut anyone by $25 to get the gig. You are unique in your market and people will pay a premium price for this. I've had people come to me and ask if I would lower my price. EVERY TIME that I decline and stick to my fee, they find the money and agree to my terms.
EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
187 Posts

Profile of EliTheIllusionist
I agree here. Birthday party and children entertainers will usually get the price shoppers. Their main agenda is to usually keep it relatively cheaper.

It's the more prestigious tier of performers that get the clients who expect QUALITY, which should be expected.

Thankfully, I've never been asked to cut my rate for a client. As a matter a fact, I've had a steady increase in rates. Just last year I hit the $1,500 mark for a show. I'm still enhancing the show every week on paper and implementing it as I go along. For the next 3 months, my primary focus will be the production aspect. I noticed that's what clients see as quality.

Plus everyone should be evaluating their performances and price them for what you have to offer.

Overall, you have to be a good performer and be top notch.

Happy Thirsty Thursday!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19632 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Never been asked to cut a rate? Interesting.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
187 Posts

Not yet. But don't jinx me! =)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19632 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That claim says more about how long you have been doing this than anything LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
187 Posts

Not so sure I get the joke.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Just nod your head and smile.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Benji,

You obviously NEED a little SEO/Adwords marketing if you are having to resort to gigmasters. I'm sorry but the proof is "in the pudding"...

If you didn't need it then you wouldn't have gone to gigmasters in the first place bud. You would have just continued with other methods you mentioned in the other thread if they were getting you all the work you could handle or want.

I really don't understand why you are fighting it so hard, its just ANOTHER strategy. We aren't telling you to put all your eggs in one basket, we are just pointing out a FREE way of bringing in qualified leads. PLEASE do yourself a favor and listen to what Domino is saying!!! You optimize for EXACT keywords and phrases such as "mentalist in new york" or "new york mentalist" etc. These keywords will NOT bring in birthday party or magician inquiries. I don't know how else to spell this out out for you. You are arguing about something you clearly do not fully understand.

We are literally trying to HELP YOU GET MORE WORK! Stop fighting it! lol

Okay Domino, lets quit wasting our breath...or fingers, whatever!! lol If he doesn't want our help then he doesn't want our help!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Ok Hart you win. I can't book any gigs so I need to resort to Gigmasters. I guess I don't know what I will do now that Gigmasters lost my service. And I plan on telling everyone who asks me about them how horrible they are Smile
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2010-03-11 20:32, Benji Bruce wrote:
Ok Hart you win. I can't book any gigs so I need to resort to Gigmasters. I guess I don't know what I will do now that Gigmasters lost my service. And I plan on telling everyone who asks me about them how horrible they are Smile

Benji,

I hope you didn't take that as an insult. I didn't mean it like that. I'm on gigmasters! We are all on the same team here...

I just meant that you clearly wanted ONLINE traffic/leads and like me and others have pointed out it is all the same traffic! You don't have to deal with gigmasters! You can do it yourself for FREE! For whatever type of shows YOU want, not what gigmasters wants!! Smile

Sorry if I offended you man, I am legitimately trying to help you out. Its just funny to me that you are fighting it so hard and I have no idea why, that's all. You can lead a horse to water but...you know the rest.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Hart I know you're trying to help and I didn't take any offense.

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 3:12am
And it's a good thing I'm not a horse.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Did you go back to Gigmasters? Just curious.
denny_Corby
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
240 Posts

Profile of denny_Corby
Highly doubt he did. I am a member and I don't get crap from it but it is another place where I am visible. I think the more places you are seen and your name is on the better it is for you. It can't hurt. In my opinion when I do research the more a product, person, or whatever shows up on other "reputable" sites and places the more likely I will probably guy that product.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3747 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I've been on GM for a while and have had a measure of success with it.

You have to realize that it's nothing more than a lead generation service. People in the market for a performer will post there. But YOU still need to make the phone call, send the materials and follow up.

There's still a measure of goofy stuff that comes through: small family events 400 miles away from me. But they are easy to decline.

There are the leads that come through and result in GM sales, upping your total...but there are also a LOT of gigs that come up, get sold, then performed and never get listed on GM. I'm not sure what's happening there -- to be honest. I reply to a prospect and the thing goes through to become a sale. I report it like I am supposed to and nothing happens. I think the client may be avoiding the commission...but on the times when I've told GM about it, GM hasn't seemed to care one way or the other.

I am just happy to have another source of leads through GM.

But if you're sitting and waiting for GM to sell you, I hope you've chosen a comfortable chair.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24024 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I gave up GM a couple years ago. I now beat GM at SEO. It is no use for me to join them again. If I did, I will be making the competition harder. "Never play a business at it's own game".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Beware of Gigmasters (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL