The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2010 entrée: Paul Vigil » » Diplopia » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
On the other side of that coin; John Cornelius sat relatively unrecognized at the World Magic Summit last week. After his Pen Thru Anything was ripped off, he created Perfect Pen... which in turn was ripped off.

The outcome of all this is why many here may not know who John Cornelius is. He ceased releasing his ingenius magical creations. These are the types of steps backwards which magic takes when a new generation believes they are entitled to all the information for free. You and I have no idea what has been held back because videos are on torrent sites a day after their release and cheap knock-off manufacturers take the hard work and development of others to China for cheaper manufacturing.

What the "All For Me For Free" generation fails to see is what they have been denied through their lack of respect for the inventors whose products and writings they take for free.
paulvigil
View Profile
V.I.P.
268 Posts

Profile of paulvigil
TC,

Good call.

Reminds me of my buddy Lee Asher who once said backstage to the Masked Magician, "Remember when people used to burn at the stake to hold onto their secrets?"

LOL!

Peace,

V
Merlin Wolfstone
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Merlin Wolfstone
John Cornelius has developed some great material. Just hearing his name reminds me of old Roger Klause story…

-excerpt
John Cornelius wrote of his first meeting with Roger, when he shyly approached Klause on a bridge with a pack of cards and asked if he would show him something. Roger said, ‘Sure… watch closely.’ He threw the deck over the fence into the river and walked away.

What’s one to make of this kind of thing? What kind of cruel bast*** would do this?

Roger didn’t walk far, though. He turned around, handed John a fresh pack of Tally-Ho’s and said with a smile, ‘Use these. All the heavies do,’ and thus began a solid friendship that’s lasted 35 years…
-Lance Pierce
http://www.magicmagazine.com/catalog/adv......iption=1

Great minds…

Lee’s comment brings back memories, those times must have been rough but I’m sure some advantages could be found if we looked in the right places.

Certain secret keepers (thanks Eugene) had their thumbs tied to their toes and much more after which they were thrown into cold water.

If the water rejected them and they floated, this was deemed a divine sign that they were guilty. If, however, they sank, then God had embraced them, thereby proving their innocence.
-Great Scot

Paul,

I’m curious to hear another’s answer to a particularly classic question the above post triggered.

Do we value only what we struggle for?

All the best,

MW
paulvigil
View Profile
V.I.P.
268 Posts

Profile of paulvigil
WM,

We value MORE what we have struggled for.

Thanks for your anecdotes above.

(throws cards)

and thus began a solid friendship that’s lasted 35 years…

V
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
Hi£¬ dear Paul

I'm so impressed by your work.

when I was 20 I saw your Diplopia.. and it sounds like impossible to me.

so today I still try to using it ... thanks!!!

DanG
paulvigil
View Profile
V.I.P.
268 Posts

Profile of paulvigil
DanG,

Thanks.

Cool.

And, good luck.

V
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
Hi. paul.

I was wondering. if they don't choose your oppiste colour.. how can I know.

just in case I don't have really good audience management..

thanks.. lol..
vinnymac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of vinnymac
Hi Paul,
I heart Diplopia too (and Sympathy (for the Devil) Cards too, I might add).
On the statement: "Magic is being destroyed by video performances." I'll just add my 2 (Canadian) cents:
I agree in most cases - especially in the case of mentalism. However, when I remember back to my childhood, watching David Copperfield's yearly specials on TV, they totally brought magic to life for me. Maybe because I didn't have a rewind button and let myself get lost in the magic.
But yes, I dislike the idea of releasing performance videos and having viewers watch it 20 times to try and figure out the method.
All the best, and appreciate your thoughts on this,
Vincent (by the way, I also use V in my signature, as a short form of my first name - totally coincidental, I swear!)
paulvigil
View Profile
V.I.P.
268 Posts

Profile of paulvigil
V,

A brother from another mother!

V
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2010 entrée: Paul Vigil » » Diplopia » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL