The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The little darlings Ľ Ľ Kapital Kidvention DVD Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
rookrulz
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of rookrulz
Jimmy,
I am sorry but only one face painting lecture was taped because there were always 3 break out sessions going on and I had to choose only one to be taped per break out session Smile Marcela, the face painter teacher, will be back at Kidvention 2011 because I got soooo many compliments about her.

Dan,
I am glad you liked them. After seeing the DVDs you can see how much fun this Kidvention was. Not only fun but top rate presentations. I hope to see you next year.

James' lecture was the most interesting because it caused a lot of controversy. I have gotten the most comments from his! If you haven't seen the DVD set you can still order them but I only have 2 sets left before I will have to place another large order of them and they will be months away then.

Louis
rookrulz
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of rookrulz
By the way, if you want to be on the Kapital Kidvention newsletter list then just go to the web site:

http://www.KapitalKidvention.com

and on the Homepage you will see the sign up for the email list. This is where I will start making the annoucements for next year.

Louis
rookrulz
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of rookrulz
Everyone that has bought a set please feel free to post any comments about them here, I would love to hear what you think.

Louis
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Louis. I think my lecture would do really well at Kidvention. I am a showy routine type of lecture so you get the complete routines with all the gags and business for each routine. As I mentioned a while back, I may already be in Hollywood in January, so it would work out great for me to stay a few days extra and do a lecture for you and save both of us some money as I wouldnt have $800 of airfare to find.
Let me know. I can do a different lecture for you than the one I do for Kdabra.
Jimbo
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jimmy
Will you be in LA LA land for a screen test?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I had promised to offer my comments on this DVD set. There are 15 DVD's with over 22 hours of content. Needless to say this took quite some time to view in their entirety and I am delighted that I had. I had many late nights as a few of these lectures had me completely engaged where I could not stop till the end.

My favorite DVD's were easily Chris Capehart, Julian Franklin (2 separate lectures,) Jim Snack and James Munton's lectures. These all had great content that I will use and have scribbled numerous pages of notes that are still spawning new ideas.

With Chris Capehart ... what more can I say ... while there wasn't a ton of new stuff here, his presentation style and further insights on his various routines are always pearls of wisdom. Easily worth the money alone.

I was completely unfamiliar with Julian Franklin and I was completely blown away. He had 2 separate lectures and each one was terrific. Julian is clearly a very gifted presenter who really inspires you in both motivation and rescripting your material to be more impactful & entertaining. I can't wait to see even more content from Julian in the future.

Jim Snack's lecture clearly reflects his years of success and experience inspiring you with numerous ideas in expanding different niche markets and networking opportunities. I had not seen Jim lecture before and since watching his presentation I have ordered and been quite happy with more audio lectures from his website.

James Munton's story is very fresh, honest and practical. His real life transition from a very successful following in the DC area to his unexpected move to a whole new market in the Dallas area. James is extremely open and forth coming about starting over and building a very successful following in short order. While one lecture certainly is not enough time to tell the whole story, he certainly gives you enough detail to inspire you and plant numerous ideas for success. I am definitely looking forward and hopeful to see more from James in the future.

I honestly can't say that I was disappointed with any of the lectures. Bob and Teresa Gretton seem like the kind of folks I'd just love to hang out with and trade entertainment ideas. Likewise with Jolly Roger ... His wit and passion to entertain are infectious.

I very much regretted not attending this venue and was delighted to feel like I participated in part of the experience through these DVD's. Needless to say that I will block off the 2011 dates on my calendar the moment I can register. I have absolutely no affiliation with this event and my comments are completely unsolicited other than Louis asking me to share my opinions good, bad or indifferent.

Dan.
rookrulz
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of rookrulz
Dan,

Thank you sooo much for your comments.

All of these presenters put a lot of hard work into their presentations and I am glad that it comes through on DVD.

As the producer, I feel great that you enjoyed the content.

See you next year!

Louis
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Al.. I am always on LaLa land lol.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
I bought a set, I'll review it as soon as they arrive...
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
Just wondering when I can expect these. You don't seem to be responding to my e-mails and I paid for them quite a while ago. I haven't had an acknowledgement that you have even received my money, or a date for when they were posted.

Can you confirm this please?
rookrulz
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of rookrulz
Ku7uk3,

They have been sent out but some packages to the UK have been arriving VERY slow. Some of my UK orders have gotten there very quickly and then some have been very late. I apologize about not getting back to you quicker, Kidvention 2011 has been keeping me very busy. Keep me up to date, thanks!
Louis
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
I have received the dvd's already some weeks ago.
sorry I ve been very busy and have not yet really watched them... (might have to wait till wintertime :o)
But received them pretty quick (to the nerherlands) - so thanx!
rookrulz
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of rookrulz
I have just received the next batch of Kidvention DVDs. If you are interested in purchasing them they are now available again.

http://www.kapitalkidvention.com/dvds.html

Please note that the introductory rate of $150 will only last through the summer, they will soon be going up to $200.

Thanks!

Louis Meyer
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
Review: Kapital Kidvention DVD Set
15 dvds @ $150
http://www.kapitalkidvention.com/dvds.html

What you get:

15 DVDs featuring live lectures that were recorded during the convention. Each lecture is just over an hour in length and are arranged around a variety of different topics.

In a nutshell:

Buy this DVD set, it is one of the best purchases you will ever make.

The bad parts:

I donít like writing anything bad, but I have to be honest in a review and it would be unfair to exclude the technical and manufactures issues associated with this DVD set for the potential buyer reading this review. BUT, let me start by saying that you NEED to buy this DVD set. This is a must have collection for any price and at just $150 it is a steal. Everyone needs to own this set and I strongly recommend it. Iíll discuss why in the later half of the review, but for now let me explain the bad points just so you know what to expect when you order the set and not be surprised in any way. Again, the set is still worth buying.

These are convention lectures, which means you get a lot of Ďdealer demoí stuff. ĎBuy my lecture notesí and if you want to do the game we just played, you have to buy my props from the dealer stand.
Obviously since the convention is over and the dealer hall is gone, it makes a lot of what they say annoying because you want to buy the products, but you canít. You can try and track them down from the individual lecturers, but none of the DVDs have text or titles listing the website address etc. This means you either need to listen carefully for when the lecturer reads out his address, or start Google searching.
I donít see why they couldnít have included on-screen graphics, and even some of the lectures mention that they will be included, but then they are mysteriously missing.
But even the dealer demos introduce you to some new tricks and ideas and there is something quite satisfying from watching a new magic toy fool you and then learning the secret. Even if you donít buy the prop, the tricks they show you are all great and you can tell they use them themselves due the comedy and routines that they perform with them.

There are no menus, and no chapters. This is annoying for me as I cannot even skip through the DVD or skip past a trick I already know. On repeat viewing of the discs, or when Iím looking for a particular item such as when the lecturer reads out his web-address, I have to watch the entire DVD again, as there is no way to mark the time-stamp on which he says something. Adding chapters at least would have been helpful.

All the lectures are single camera, shot from a tripod mounted cam at the back of the room, over the audienceís heads. You see the bald spots and everything. You hear mobile phones going off and little children running to the toilet. There are also occasional sound issues they have with the microphone and little fulffles which hinder the smoothness of each lecture.

Some of the lectures had videos showing on a projector at the start of the lecture, but these were shown on the DVD as Ďhand-heldí recordings from the camera, recording the projector. Why couldnít they just import the video footage into the editing program and increase video quality?
In some cases as well, the projector was not even shown and the camera was just Ďleftí facing an empty stage or the performer drinking his water, without a clue of what the live audience was actually looking at.

There is no packaging, no sleeve or DVD case. You simply get the DVDs in a white envelope. The purple DVD discs have been printed on and do the part. But if you wanted to put this set on your DVD shelf, you will have to make up your own cover and buy your own cases.

There is only so much the lecturer can talk about in the hour lecture that they have, so there is a lot of pushing in buying subscriptions to websites, and lecturer notes. They go off-topic a lot which sometimes creates an interesting story, but when you only have so long to talk, you are wishing they would bullet-point the key details they wanted to convey, because at the end of each lecture, you cannot help but feel that they left the important stuff out.

Some of the Ďbig namesí start there lecture by telling you they are not professional lecturers, but then follow up with lecture notes, dealers stand sales pitches, websites to subscribe to and promotional packs to buy. They are also all professional performers and I would expect all of them to have seen hundreds of lectures before. It seems that telling people you are not a professional lecturer is a little oddly placed. It seems like an excuse when you have the experience of talking in front of people on a regular basis. If you can do a show for Presidents, why are you making excuses to a group of magicians claiming youíre not a lecturer, when you have lecture notes readily available?
This is also convention level lecturing. If you need the experience, start with all your local clubs and gain the experience you claim you need from them first.

Again, Iím not trying to be cruel, but I have to give an honest review or whatever good points I make next will not be taken seriously. And this is a great DVD set, well worth the money and time watching.

The good parts:

Now I could go on forever in this section, as there is a lot of great material on these DVDs. Production problems aside, the actual lectures are top-notch and really inspire you to buy their products or make up the trick / game.

A lot of the entertainers are comedy based and I donít mind saying that I writing down all their lines to use in my own show. Each lecture had something different to offer, and when they showed you how successful the magic / game worked, you could see how strong it was.
For instance, Jolly Rodgerís lecture had a game in the second half, with letter cards. It packed flat, didnít require music and uses 8 people. At first, you were thinking ĎOh boy, what is he doing nowí. But then the game starts, and WOW is this one of the best game in all existence! Itís a game that works for adults as well as children, and that is priceless. If youíre performing at a wedding or christening, you can get the mums and dads up. They all were having great, great fun. With no music needed, it made it simply and easy to play and take with you.
This one game alone was worth the price of the entire DVD set. Itís a fun, clean, funny game for adults. Itís the only game I know for adults that doesnít require them acting like children as well.

But basically every DVD has some information of value on it and even the ones that I didnít think much off, can teach you something. Iím going to go in detail over some of the DVDS and again, Iím brutally honest. I know Iím going to get phone-calls and e-mails about my review (as I usually do). But Iím being honest to what I believe. I wonít lie to help your egos. I have lots of products out myself and I have read lots of mixed reviews about my own DVDs. It comes down to personal taste and for comparison, I know my 3 coins routine is loved by many and hated by some. I donít use shells or flippers which means the visuality of my routine is less than many others. So for magicians it is disliked. But for laypeople and real impromptu workers it is priceless as it is an entire routine with ungimmicked borrowed coins. The effect in the audiences mind is exactly the same as a fancy version with gravity folding coins etc. But some magicians prefer to use these special coins due to personal taste and what they consider magic. In my opinion they are forgetting to think about what the audience sees and the real magic should be you and not even the coins. Fancy gimmicks wonít make a routine entertaining.
Anyway, back onto this DVD set. The opinions I express in the following reviews are my own and others may get different things from them.

James Munton talks about his backdrop, set-up time, case and current costume. Iíll be honest in saying that I would be disappointed if I was a parent booking him. He said it himself, that he no-longer wears the spy costume which is the key image on all his promotional material. But if I book someone to do a spy show and you donít wear the costume Ė Iím sorry, but Iím not happy. I couldnít really see his promo material, but purple background with white text on a piece of 130gm paper I have doubts about. I know heís a nice guy. We speak often on the Magic Cafť and I know heís one of the most professional and experienced entertainers in the world. He mentions networks and stuff but really he never gets into the Zero to Booked solid information that we were so eager to hear about. All we get is make friends with fellow magicians and they might pass on some work to you. I agree it can bring in the odd bit of work, but not enough to be Ďbooked solidí. Thatís it, and then a sales pitch to join the program on his website.
I believe that a lecture is about learning and it was missing information. Nice guy and you could see that he had a lot off info to share, but he just never got around to any of it in the hour he was talking.

Arthur Steadís lecture is a joy to watch. Iím not sure how magic to music would be appreciated by my audiences, as I want the children to laugh, join me on stage, and make them the star of the show rather than me. His style is better suited to stage and illusionist. You can still use some of the routines like Skulldini, but you have to ask yourself whether buying a powerful sound system with music player, buying the CD, dragging it all to the venue and setting it all up. Hoping it doesnít get broken, sat on, spilt drinks on etc. Is it really worth it for just one musical routine, when you could do it to patter without any of those problems and get laughs from it which I consider equally emotionally powerful. Iím ranting now because I have been thinking adding music into my act for a while now, and itís great to see someone else do it, and make it as good as what he did. He is an expert at all this stuff and it is one of the best lectures in the set

I loved Chris Capehartís lecture. Iíll be honest in saying I was never really a big fan of his past DVDs, but this lecture is superb. It made me dig out his Miserís Dream DVD so that I could learn his routine. It must be due to advancements in the routines themselves that I finally saw how good they were. But it also helped me to see him perform the routine for a room of adults, and realise that his magic was suitable for multiple ages and play both small and big as needed. He included a number of new routines which I liked such as ĎThe Book Of Factsí and it was a great DVD.

Harry Allen presented a dealer demo, but it was good. This was the first DVD I watched and I was laughing throughout the show. He performed his routine with a particular prop, including all his gags and one-liners which I started writing down because I loved them so much. He then showed us how the prop worked which was very nice as some of them were very clever in design. You would obviously have to buy the props to perform his routine, but it was a very fun lecture and a great joy to watch.

Brad Ross Ė I had never heard of him until this lecture and after watching his DVD, Seeing his showreal about how good he is, and then listening to him go on about Ďself-motivationíÖ I get it, the guy is very successful and now he is using that success to sell his courses. But I donít think he realised how lucky he was. He was young and obviously had money to his name because he was able to buy an entire illusion show at a very early age. He had space to store the illusions and assistants to rehearse with. Much of what he was talking about is not about self-motivation, but rather luck, youthful ignorance and self-delusion, and parents that have the money and are willing to store illusions in the kitchen for you. He was lucky that he got the phone-call which got him the big show. I just felt that he hadnít taken into account the luck and money factor which he obviously had in abundance, and because of this his lecture was too much Ďthink this wayí and if you do, everything will suddenly change.
I also didnít like when he told his audience not to watch the news, because he didnít, so you shouldnít either. What someone watches on TV is personally taste and no-one should tell someone else to stop watching a show because you donít like it, especially a major current event program like the News.
I know he lives in a land of Disney, but in the real world I would have preferred to hear more actual strategies in achieving his goals, such as how did he finance his show, where did he get his assistants and did he audition them. Did he work cruise ships first and how did he get those jobs. Maybe even how much to charge and details like that which I can actually learn from. Not a bunch of theory about how you believe I should be thinking.
Ultimately, his entire lecture was boiled down to a Peter Pan reference Ďthink happy thoughts and you will flyí. But the truth is, most of us will just break our legs jumping out of a window. We donít have the money to buy ourselves an invisible rope floating rig.

Leon McBryde. He got a standing ovation at the end of his lecture due to a heart-warming story that he told. What I learnt from this is perhaps the most valuable tool I can possibly get and if I can find a way of working it into my acts, then my value will increase dramatically. If you know my work, then I guess on some level I already knew what he taught, but it was one of those lessons that you needed to see it for yourself to understand how valuable it is. Iím being vague, but in a nutshell, he shows how story-telling can do more for a performance than any magic trick or piece of music. You need to choose the right story and know how to tell it but if you get it right, you can win the hearts of your audience and that is a lesson I strongly needed to learn.

Tommy Johns Ė Now this is what Iím talking about. This has to be my favourite lecture not just in this set, but that Iíve ever watched!
He does not perform a single trick, but thatís not what this is about. He describes in detail how he gets his work, how you can do it as well. How he runs his classes, how much he charges, what he teaches, age groups etc. The amount of details he shares with you is priceless, so much in fact that youíre left wondering if itís too good to be true. But he discusses that as well and tells you why the camps and daycares are booking him!
Seriously, he teaches you how to make a living in under an hour. Bullet point facts and figures that you want to know. A question and answer session where the questions you want to ask are asked and he actually gives you an answer! So many lectures vague over details when they donít want to give you a proper answer, but he is honest and it is so, so good. Best lecture by far and will definitely require numerous viewing to absorb all the information he shares.

Julian Franklin Ė He has 2 DVDs and they are very theory driven. I couldnít watch them all the way through as it was not my cup-of-tea as they say. While Iím sure many viewers can watch these DVDs and learn a lot from them, I didnít feel drawn in, and so turned them off after a while. There was nothing wrong with his lectures per-say, but I donít like any lecture that tries to tell me ĎHow to thinkí. Its personal taste, but much of what he said can only be learnt from experience and not from someone telling you.

There are many more DVDs, and Iíll probably add them to this post after viewing, but I wanted to share those with you so far, especially since I am now on page 5 and you probably stopped reading after the first paragraph.

All I can say is BUY THIS DVD SET. It is one of the greatest purchases of all time.

If you hated my review, my name is John Doe. If you liked it, my name is Steve!
Bagatelli
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Bagatelli
For me, you are Steve now.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Awesome review. Thanks Steve!

Brian
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1210 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Great review Steve!
I would love to see the Tommy John lecture.
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
jasonmurphy
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of jasonmurphy
I ordered both sets of dvds from the website - not received anything, and no replies to emails
rookrulz
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of rookrulz
Jason,
Just got your email that you finally got the DVDs. Glad it worked out. Let me know what you think of them.

BTW, the 2011 DVD set is now available: http://www.kapitalkidvention.com/dvds.html

Louis
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I've got the 2010 set - has anybody got anything to say about 2011?

Thanks

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The little darlings Ľ Ľ Kapital Kidvention DVD Set (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL