The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ways to go about getting gigs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
I was recently notified about a website called gigsmaster and was quite excited to find out that there was a site that got people gigs (out there doing "their thing"). I also recently heard some bad things about this site. However, this has not made me pass judgement on the site, but...

Without the aid of a site like this or something like this what are some ways to get paid for doing magic?

Don't get me wrong, I like doing magic for free also, but I would like to start testing the waters and doing it for pay. I do have a paying kids show coming up and a free gig I am doing to get some exposure in my area but, again, what are some techniques at getting work?

I have been to the local bar and they kind of said we would work something out and stiffed me. I'm in no hurry but I would love to hear how some of you got your (paying) magic career started.

And by the way, I am considering signing up for gigsmasters for 3 months or so, any thoughts on that (what they can do for a person)??

Ari
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
1 word: Busking
You know why don't act naive.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Most of your potential clients have no clue how to find entertainment. They either check the local telephone directory or the yellow pages. The best way to get gigs is to get known in the area, so people spread the news about you through word of mouth. Of course, you have to make sure that at the gigs you already have, you get out some form of advertising or business cards so people know how to contact you if they want a magician.
bicycle66
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
I saw some videos of Bill Malone they were his "on the loose" DVD's and he has some good advice in them about getting gigs and advertising yourself. There are also lots of magic tricks I've seen that lend themselves to getting your business card/name out there. Getting this into the publics hands is always very good if they can take home a memory that is a conversation piece then there is word of mouth working in your favor. You might have does something for free but the word of mouth pays for it 3 fold. As far as a site like gigsmasters as you I don't like to pass judgement but until you hear a few real peoples positive comments I would keep my money in my pocket. There are too many scams out there that are just waiting to take peoples hard earned money. Just my thoughts Sean.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Business cards, website, and land a single paying restaurant to start handing out cards and generating word of mouth in your local area. Give it a few months and I guarantee regular inquiries start coming in just from that. The trick at first is figuring out how much to charge.

My advice: never charge more than you believe you're worth. If you do, you'll be unsure of yourself and that uncertainty will show in your confidence level, which the client will sense, and you won't be able to sell them on the price. Charge exactly what you feel confident charging, and as you gain more confidence in yourself and your show, up your fees. My first year doing magic for money I wasn't charging more than $75 for a show. The next year my fees were between $100-200 depending on the event, and in the last five years my fees have increased exponentially.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
You have to study up on how to get your business going. Basics work for any business. Try:

Guerrilla Marketing, 4th edition: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business

These books are great and will give you a solid basis on which to build. Best,
Brad Burt
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
This has been posted before, but this article has 35 ideas that address your question:

http://magicgizmo.com/home/Business-Side......ney.html
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
Wow, last post = very helpful. Thanks M. Ruetz!!
Amazingjim210
View Profile
New user
San Antonio, TX
10 Posts

Profile of Amazingjim210
After 3 years of doing kids parties and a few adult parties, I landed a regular weekly thing with a 100 person + audience. I went out and asked around at different places. Number 1.. be prepared with a close up effect that they will remember. I always carry a pack of cards with me and ask them if they want to see a cool trick. It blows them away if you do it right! They will want to see more. Goodluck!
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Hey Ari,

Years ago I usd to do some restaurant table hopping. What I found worked well to get started was approach owners of venues I wanted to work at and offer to do a night free to demonstrate my ability. If they liked me then they could book me for regular work and if they didn't - they wouldn't.

It was great practice and made me really hone my skills and presentation as I wanted to secure the work. Sure there were a couple of places that abused this offer and had me work for free with no intention of booking me but they were all still a good training ground and got me performing in a real word scenario in front of real people.

Stu
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ways to go about getting gigs? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL