The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Romark (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
aawb122pm
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of aawb122pm
I'm looking for info on Romark.Is anyone aware of any video footage of him or books on him ?
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
There is video of Romark (Ron Markham) floating around. After his untimely death his widow gave his act to Robert Dorian who performed it for some years. I believe much of the act was created/developed by Corinda. Bob did a good job with the material and improved several routines. He has done the Castle a few times.

Romark appeared on the Merv Griffin show at least once and had a series of short programs on English television. He was charming and his effects were direct and easy to understand. He was an entertainer to emulate.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of aukt
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Now that's something I've never seen before!
Self concept is destiny..
aukt
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of aukt
I've got lots of footage of him. not able to put online, however.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Didn't Romark spend some time in prison?

Paul.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
700 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
A few stories I remember about him at the time, but it was a long time ago...
He did do a blindfold drive along the High Street in Ilford, Essex and drove into the back of a police car.
I remember he had a couple of paperback books on sale to the general public, one was called 'The Sins of the Fathers' and the other was 'The Curse of the Children'. They were both about sessions under hypnosis.
He also offered his services to Queens Park Rangers football club to improve their game, I don't remember if they took him up on the offer.
Another thing was that he did a self hanging on stage and after he was certified dead, his heart started beating again and came back to life.

Hope this might be of some help and interest.

Franklin
hypn
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of hypn
Hi Guys, appologies for resurrcting a really old post but I am looking for info on Romark. It seems that the links above are now dead. I am especially interested in his hypnosis show and his ability to hang himself at the end of every performance. The Mention of Romark ending in jail was also true alledgedly for defrauding a will. He spent the prison time in South Africa. He often performed in the Durban City Hall in the 1900's breaking attendance records for his seasons
Andre The Hilarious Hypnotist
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Andre, I've sent you a PM.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1145 Posts

Profile of Chris
Some footage of his show plus explanations from his wife and Martin Breese are now available here https://www.lybrary.com/romark-p-923846.html
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1605 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
There's a not very complimentary story about him in Mind, Myth and Magick by T A Waters.

His real name was Ronald Markham. His wife Ursula Markham used to run a hypnotherapy training school and she's written several books.

Barry
jethro63
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of jethro63
So I am watching TVS, a free online TV service, and near the beginning I start watching a British mentalist I don't recognize. I want to find out who it is but the video ended not long after the performance and there is no way I am going to be able to find that streamed loop again. The audience participant was American so that probably ruled out a British show. The only clue was a quick glimpse of Flip Wilson who is then joined by Richard Pryor. Time for the detective work to begin.

I assume it is the Flip Wilson Show so I go to IMDB and look for any episode with Wilson and Pryor, some episodes didn't have any description at all but after going through nearly all of the episodes of the four seasons, I come upon:

Season 4, Episode 9
29 Nov. 1973

Flip tells of a man trying to get his mother-in-law to leave. Mental illusionist Romark performs with audience participation. Flip, Tim Conway, and Richard Pryor do improve with one chair as a prop.

...So I have Pryor and Flip Wilson, what are the chances this episode is on YouTube. Apparently the chances are very good.

Enjoy (video is cued to Romark 21:22)

https://youtu.be/MPcRgdBxIqo?t=1282
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Thanks for sharing. That was great!
Lakewood, Ohio
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2091 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
That was an awesome performance. Thank you for sharing!

What a command of the stage Romark had.

What a great entertainer.

jethro63
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of jethro63
I didn't look until now, Romark reappears at 42:27, he really had a lot of minutes during this episode
https://youtu.be/MPcRgdBxIqo?t=2547
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Wow an entertaining 7 keys. That's magic!
Lakewood, Ohio
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2581 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Robert Dorian in Los Angeles has all the information on him as well as all of his material... try contacting him.
Ray Pierce
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
872 Posts

Profile of dyoung
You might need to find a medium to get in touch with him... as he sadly passed last June.

All the best,
Dan
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2525 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I remember him from Flip Wilson but he was also on the Merv Griffin Show doing the puzzle effect and a version of Eddie Joseph's Premonition
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
durian-red
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of durian-red
Jethro63, that was a hugely entertaining watch. Thank you for digging deep, finding this gem of a clip and sharing it with us.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Romark (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL