The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Interesting finds at Michael's Craft Store (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
While at Michael's Craft store I came across some interesting props someone may find of use.

Both items were by Tim Holtz idea-ology.

The first item was called Word Keys. It consists of 7 aged keys with words on them: Love, Life, Journey, Secret,
Memory, Heart and Dream. Each was a different size, 3 or 4 of the keys were a Skeleton type and the other 3
are more modern keys. Al made of metal.

The second item was called Muse Tokens. There are 12 about quarter size. Each has a word on them and a letter cut-out. The words are Excellence, Journey, Significant, Genuine, Knowledge, Thoughts, Courageous, Lifetime, Moment, Wonderful, Forevermore and Unique.

Here's a link to his catalog: http://www.timholtz.com/findings.htm

Many other interesting things.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Nice finds.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Those are cool.
It's not bizarre, but I found some great tokens that are : "good for one birthday wish," needless to say they will soon be a part of my birthday shows.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Take a good look through his catalog.
– Karl Germain
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
As usual, not available in the U.K. SUCKS !
Peace in the World - or - the World in Pieces
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
PSYSHADOW,

Do a search for Tim Holtz. I'm sure you can find some online site who ships to the UK.

Or ask someone you know in the US to buy it and ship it to you.
– Karl Germain
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
Motown,

Thanks. Tried that, so far nothing.

Oh to live in the States ! I wish !

BOBBY.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Bobby

I'll have a look as well and see what I can find.

Craig
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Bobby

I'll have a look as well and see what I can find.

Craig
– Karl Germain
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
Great stuff. I can easily make up a couple of good effects with this. Thanks for the heads up.
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
Thanks Craig, much appreciated !

BOBBY.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's two stores that ship to the UK

http://www.scrapbook.com/

http://shop.scrapbooks.com/ch-th92676.html

check shipping info on their web pages.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
For those of you that have Michaels' store in the area, they usually have an ad in the Sunday paper with a 40% Off one item coupon. You can also go on their website for the coupon and save a lot of money.
– Karl Germain
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1522 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
You could tie in those advantus tokens with some CR and/or WA.

Great find motown!!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Just picked the keys up for $6 plus tax using the coupon.
– Karl Germain
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
What we magicians sometimes forget, is that if an item is available at huge chains like WalMart and Michael’s Crafts, they are quite ubiquitous, and must be seen as common or everyday items, and not claimed as “rare’ or an “artifact”.

Too often I’ve seen something that could be picked up at Walgreens or Target which the magician tries to pass off as “his grandfather’s old ------“ or an “antique I brought back from my travels to ------”.

Only if you can re-make, re-think and disguise, a prop successfully (such as the brilliant Ed Solomon can) may you then claim it to be original or an artifact.

There are many interesting props out there, but if we see them, it’s likely our audiences will to, and it’s best not to be caught with your pants down when trying to weave an odd and original tale.

My two-cents,
Walt
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
Or as we often say, "Buy it so that we can paint it flat black and then re-detail it." Smile

An object also doesn't have to be old or mystical to be a part of a good routine or story. I could see the keys being used to assign attributes, or maybe to divine the person with the strongest of one particular personality trait. They could be tokens from a child's game or reminders given by a loved one.

Sometimes we get too caught up in the ancient and forget that wonder can also exist in the present.

Chris

P.S.--I've purchased more magic props at Michael's over the past 10 years than I have at magic shops.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Well said Chris.

I like to see possibilities.

I think, when you take something out of the context in which it's normally seen and place it
into a new one, it will be perceived as something different.

I find when I keep an open mind, many wonderful ideas flow forth.
– Karl Germain
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1345 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I for one LOVE the set of word keys! I'm thinking maybe a lovely equivoque routine (seven is perfect), or they pick one from a bag and I do a brief reading, or a stunning booktest word force (their randomly chosen word is on the key around my neck), or a contact mindreading routine, etc. They don't have to be old or rare--as long as they are this beautiful! (Of course, I am a huge sucker for keys and boxes...)

Thanks for this find, motown!

Seth
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Interesting finds at Michael's Craft Store (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL