The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wakeling sawing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi !
A friend bought some months ago a really wonderfull version of the "wakeling sawing" and after some shows, he told me he was a little disappointed by the fact the audience doesn't see the legs in the box when the prop is on stage...

What do you think about that fact ? Is it really a problem for the audience not to see the legs when the doors are open ?

regards
allan
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Your friend might be disappointed, but is the audience?

I have never heard anyone-other than magicians that is-talking about the "lack of legs". The routine and its details is so brilliantly put together, there really is no need for the legs. It all works really well together. Some people even remember seeing the legs! The imagination of the spectators fills that "blank" nicely.

Of course it needs a strong presentation and expert timing to pull of really well. Challenging sawing for sure, but in my opinion the best there is.
Sent from my Typewriter
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Allan,

He might be disappointed, but is his audience aswell disappointed and does it matter to them.

I think what the audience thinks and feels is more important than his own feelings.

The Wakeling Sawing is one of the best, if not the best, sawing in half illusion. All has to do with the presentation and the staging of this great effect. If this is done perfectly, he shouldn't matter about the legs not shown, since one audience member holds them attached on a rope straighten up through the box.

Oliver.
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi !
Many thanks for your answer

I am very happy by you answer because I spent 3 days to tell him it's not a problem not to see the legs...
I guess the fact the audience can see the upper body and that the audience member on the left can watch and touch the legs, is enough for the audience in the theater

I watched the video he sent me and the presentation is ok, with a great timing and speed. I guess it's only a psychological problem for the magician...lol

He would like to add some doors in the back of the boxes because in the version he bought, there was only doors on the front and maybe increase the height of the doors in order the audience can see the legs. I told him not to do these mofifications because the prop he bought is really wonderfull and comes from a great builder in the US.

I ask for your help because I would like to prove him the problem is just in his head...
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Allan31,

As you said, timing and speed are aswell very important, specially when he's lifting up the boxes after the sawing.

On the other hand if he's not happy enough with it now, than something may still be wrong in the timing, speed and staging of this wonderful illusion.

Maybe he could share the video so we can tell him more and give our opinion on his presentation, not in the style but the staging and timing of it.

By the way, where did he buy it from ?

Oliver.
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
I just told my friend about your answers..
The "wakeling" has been built by Edf magic !!! He bought it second hand and the prop is wonderfull.

He knows his problem is only a problem from his point of view and a psychological one...He has a big success with the audience presenting the effect and I told him it was the best thing!!!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Presentation is the key to the Wakeling. You have to SELL the audience on the fact that the arms and legs are securely held in place with straps. The fact that you can't see the feet should have no bearing on the success of the presentation.

Jim
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
If it is the EDF unit that was recently up for sale, it looked great. I would certainly not modify it. Not sure if you really need doors on the back. Only something more to open and close, and "waste" (?) time.

Blair
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi !
Many thanks for all your answers. Yes, it was the unit which was recently for sale...Wonderfull prop!
I agree with you all and I really think no modifications are necessary and certainly not on this beautifull prop.
That's right, the opening of the back doors are always a waste of time and doesn't add anything to the overall effect.

I would like to tell you I asked the question personnaly on the forum because my friend doesn't speak english enough to write on this forum but he is very interested by your answers...

A question (from myself this time) after watching the prop : why are the hinges for the doors so high and the window so small?

I really like this illusion and had a great time watching Rick Thomas performing it each time I went in Vegas. I don't have illusions myself but really like others performing them...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5750 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've noticed that the assistant's legs are difficult to see on most models. You'll want to make sure that the stage lighting is up to the job and that she's wearing a costume that allows her legs to be seen. Dark colors should never be worn by an assistant in this illusion.

The audience may come to the conclusion that if her legs don't come up to the door opening, there's much more room in the box than they originally thought.
profl
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of profl
Is there anyone faster than Rick Thomas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTt92Tb23g8
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Profl, thank you for posting that. What a phenominal job he does!!
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
Quote:
On 2010-03-15 16:33, w_s_anderson wrote:
Profl, thank you for posting that. What a phenominal job he does!!

Yes, that's right !!! I have not seen the new show at the Sahara Hotel. Is the Wakeling still in the show?

After watching this video, I notice that the doors from Rick's boxes are much bigger and placed lower than the edf's version...It's maybe the reason why my friend would like to have bigger doors on his box!
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Chuck Jones addressed this with his table he added a wedge on top of the table that raises the ladies legs
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
After watching the video of Rick Thomas, I guess my friend has the same box and the twice seem to come from EDF...

The only difference and that's what we just watched is that Rick added and cut new "big" doors at the back of the boxes and the back becomes the front...

you then have the big doors at the front of the boxes and the small original doors at the back of the boxes...

It seems Rick Thomas had the same problem as us with this version of the illusion.
Are we right?
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Allan,

Rick Thomas Wakeling Sawing was build aswell by EDF.

Oliver.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Wakeling Sawing is a masterpiece for my show and a real reputation maker. But I must admit it has not always been like that...

The first few times I performed it I was REALLY disappointed and thought taking it off the show. My girl was extremely fast moving inside(even faster than me putting and taking blades) but for any extrange reason there was a poor reaction on audience.

I studied illusion carefully and experimented in successive presentations: firstly I discovered it was not in the right place on the show. Later I changed my script and added a few subtleties and... WONDERFUL! People jumps in their chairs when I put the first blade in, and can feel their emotion on restoration.

Now I know it's all about presentation, and carism of performer (people must believe you can do what you say you'll do, not an illusion for everybody) and of course timing and speed but this last issues are not as important as the first two. Now people remembers it as something incredible even much time later.

So it's not an issue that feet or head can't be seen, it's not necessary for people, it's just a question of presentation.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Sorcerer,

Just curious : In which place did you put your Wakeling Sawing at first and where afterwards ?

Oliver.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Hi Oliver
At first it was my third effect, after my apparition as opening and a second energetic illusion.
Now I put it close to the end, so spectators know me (There is "feeling") and I can provide the special magic atmosphere needed. But not the last one of course!
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1139 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Hello,

I do recommend that your assistant wear a bright color as a dark color is very hard to see.

Rick Thomas does present this illusion extremely well, and so does Mark Kalin & Jinger. (notice that with the type of costume that their assistants wear, that it is easy to see their legs) Here is Mark Kalin and Jinger's presentation here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9gosUhbNKY

Here is a video of myself performing this illusion. Notice that my assistant is wearing red and white: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2oPOgckRY4

I hope this helps!

Magically,
John
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wakeling sawing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL