The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Café "read file" will not update for me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hello Café Staff,

On my 2nd computer, the "teacups' will not update after I go to each page and read one or more of hte topics on that particualr page. On some topics, I have over 200 pages--all of the topics have "red teacups". I can go in and diligently read all topics on a page, exit out and come back in later and those same "read posts" are still displaying "red teacups".

What is causing this problem and causing my browser not to update on this computer.

On this computer, I am running Firefox 3.6. (BTW, on my other computer I am running IE 6.0 and I'm having no "update history" problems on that computer.)

Is my problem related to Firefox 3.6? Or, is it something that can be corrected by a profile setting?

Thanks for any help in this regard.

Best regards,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5148 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, the Café is set up to run on IE. This sounds like a software issue with Firefox on your end. Sometimes the cup colors are not correct but for the most part they are. The Café updates about every 15 minutes so if you read a topic, log out and wait more than that, the cup should turn white.

You could try deleting your cookies. That will reset everything and hopefully fix the problem.
Where the magic begins
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks for the info, Dave.

My problem is not an issue of coming back 15 minutes later. I can come back days later, or update a page 2 hors later, etc--and the cups never change from red to white. I suppose that I could remove cookies and that might work but, intuitively, it seems to me that if everything resets, it would reset to "unread" and then all cups would be red.

I tend to agree with you that the problem is a browser issue and that somehow Firefox is slightly incompatible with the Café's design setup (i.e., set to run on IE).

Thanks for the info.

Best,

Mike

P.S. I just had a thought: Is this something that Gene or Mary B might be able to just write a line of code or something simple that would bring FireFox and Opera in line with and compatible with the IE code?

One other thought: Is it possible that the issue is not a browser issue but, instead, might be a security/privacy settings issue?

I'm in no way a computer expert and am blantantly demonstrating the truth of that statement by the neophyte unsophistication revealed by the questions I am asking.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5148 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, I'm sure just about anyting could be written into the code but I know situations involving other browser rather than IE have been presented before and usually the answer is the one I gave above.

If you delete the cookies for the Café, it will turn the cups for whatever topics you have read back to white. Again, from past experience, problems often arise from have two cookies. Deleting them corrects everything. I'm not a computer guru either, just relaying what has happened in the past.

You could be correct about the problem being with you privacy/security settings.I don't know.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Café "read file" will not update for me (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL