The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Whats Your Once In A Lifetime Story? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MHamel
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
71 Posts

Profile of MHamel
I know people have run in to this and I thought it would be a fun topic to share...

I was once asked to perform a trick for a group of people so I did a "do as I do" effect with 2 decks. The way the effect looks is we both pick a card from different decks then cut the decks a couple times and then switch decks we go back and take out the card we did before we cut the cards then we flip the cards over and they match (that's a horrible description but you get the idea)...

Well at the time I only had one deck on me so I borrowed a deck from someone but they didn't tell me it was missing a card. It so happened the card that was missing was the one the spectator chose. I didn't realize this until half way through when we were both going through our decks to find the card we first picked I heard "ITS NOT HERE! MY CARD DISAPPEARED!"

This caught me off guard and at the time I was new to magic so I wasn't sure what id do. This totally changed the effect of trick but made it look even more impossible. In the end I milked it for all it was worth and since I had his card on the top of my deck I just played it along the lines of it disappearing without me even doing anything funny... then asked him his card and flipped over top card of my deck.

It was a once in a lifetime thing and I didn't know if anyone else had a good once in a life time story...
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
When I was young I smoked. I had a part time job in a retail store as a stockboy in the basement and I wanted to be up on the floor as a salesperson.

One day my boss caught me smoking in the basement and he angrily told me, "Make that cigarette disappear. Now!"

I transferred the cigarette from my right hand to my left, blew on my left hand, opened it and - the cigarette was gone.

I was made a salesperson.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
There is a bevy of these types of stories in the thread "The Perfect Effect" in Table Hoppers and Party Strollers:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=5&50

The general consensus is: Take it when it comes around! & Do whatever you can to make it happen!
criverstamu09
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of criverstamu09
I was at the Austin SAM meeting this past Monday and was sitting around doing a few card tricks for some people and I decided to do the trick that can't be explained. So the kid shuffled the deck and I spread the cards and let him pull one out and it happened to be his card!
"Who you are moment to moment is just a story."
MHamel
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
71 Posts

Profile of MHamel
That has happened to me before. On a effect where you bring card to the top. I sometimes ask to pick a card knowing they wont pick the top so it will appear as if I got it wrong then I snap change. Once someone actually picked the top...

The beauty of that was I could do it again and make it seem more amazing.
Amazingjim210
View Profile
New user
San Antonio, TX
10 Posts

Profile of Amazingjim210
I was auditioning for my local IBM ring here in San Antonio and I performed a card trick in which the spectator does all of the handling, I don't touch the cards AT ALL. I had a ring memeber cut the cards and remember the cut to card(no forcing)He put his card on top of the top half and buried it. I then had him cut the cards 3 times face down and then 3 times face up and then turn the deck back face down. The effect is for me to be able to have him count off cards from the top and then I say stop somewhere and the next card is his. This time though what happened was that I discovered that his card was going to be the TOP CARD! I said, " would you believe me if I told you that your card found its way back on top?" He said no and everyone else did too because I didn't touch them. When he revealed the top card to be his everyone freaked out and guys that have been doing magic for 10 or 15 years asked little ol' me how I did it. Cool trick!
MHamel
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
71 Posts

Profile of MHamel
That's cool that it was at your IBM ring because sometimes ive seen people in rings just brush it off like "ya, whatever..."

When stuff like that happens I take it for all its worth haha
Phil Tawa
View Profile
Regular user
Mass.
103 Posts

Profile of Phil Tawa
Once I was just having fun with a couple at a table.
Local place I used to frequent(when I was learning)
These people were having fun with me so I asked if they minded me trying out a new one. This could NEVER happen to me again.
I had one of them shuffle the deck and the other one shuffle it also.
"O.K. I didn't touch the cards right"?
They agreed.
"O.K. I'm going to turn my back and you pick a card. Show it to everyone put it back in the deck and shuffle it again".
When she finished I turned around and reminded them again it was a hard trick and it's possible I may fail".
I told them all to think of the card and I would pick up their brain waves.
I shouted out a card. (It was a red queen but I forget which) and to everyone's amazement including mine it was the chosen one!
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I used my "Mental Prediction" effect on a gf, and she became my wife after that! She was amazed, to say the least. I hope she thinks I also have an amazing personality, lol.

Regards,
Mike
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
I was in a stage production, and me and my freinds were messing around. One of my freinds had a styrofoam hat on and dared me to eat part of it. I ripped off a piece, pretended to eat (but did a false transfer) and he fell for it.
DamastaMind
View Profile
New user
Bavaro Beach, Dominican Republic
60 Posts

Profile of DamastaMind
There's this groceries store near where I live and a couple of weeks ago the owners doughter presented me with a very cheap deck of cards and asked me to do a trick for her friend. I asked him if he felt lucky and then proceeded to have him touch four cards, I changed them a la Vernon as I stripped them out tabled the deck and then asked him "red or black?" he said black I turn that card over and it was a black queen, (veeery strong reaction there) I asked again, he said black and again he was right, of course that part was not part of my original trick, but it worked out nicely and it had more impact than the fact that he had "freely chosen" the four of a kind. Chance!
The MIND is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

Jeremiah 17:9
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2407 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
The day I met my wife, it was magical.
bottlemaster
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, UK
36 Posts

Profile of bottlemaster
Quote:
I borrowed a deck from someone but they didn't tell me it was missing a card. It so happened the card that was missing was the one the spectator chose.

This pretty much sums up everything I love about magic. Where else can you find an art form where something can go so wrong and yet turn out so right?!
www.impossiblebottle.co.uk

The Impossible - "What nobody can do until someone does"
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Once I was performing a trick for a spectator, and had them sign a bill (for what trick I don't remember) I noticed that he had accidentally marked a line across his palm and didn't appear to notice. So I took the pen from him and had him turn his hand palm down, I drew an invisible line across his hand with the back of the pen and had him turn his hand over. The reaction was fantastic. Now I look for any of those little moments and have a few strategies planned out so I can take advantage of a lucky coincidence.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I was at dinner with a group of friends one night and my friend on my right had set his phone on the table. It was the same phone I had so I switched it out really quick and changed my contact info in his phone to say "3 of hearts" and switched the back. After dinner, I forced the three of hearts on him and while I had my back turned when he was showing everyone, I called him from my phone. When he saw that the caller ID said 3 of hearts he started freaking out. It was a great moment and a great reaction. A little forsight can pay a lot. Smile
Weird is part of the job.
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Excellent Stories:>)

First one for me goes as follows,

I was on vacation enjoying a litte time in the hotel pool. I made a couple of friends in the pool with a nice family.

I had two elastic bands on me,crazy man handcuffs insued,I performed them for both of the parents,and then they got out of the pool and into the hot tub.

The kids stayed in the pool,I contined to perform with the elastics.

Pretty standard so far:)

The kids then got out of the pool and into the hot tub as well,all the while engaging in conversation with the family.

What a nice feeling as I got out of the pool myself with mom`s watch on my wrist,and both kids watch`s on both ankles.

They bought me dinner for that one.

Same family,I went to buy something at the giftshop,and as I was entering the giftshop,that same family was walking out with a plastic bag with some goodies.

I noticed through the plastic bag that they bought some really cheesy playing cards:)
I bought a duplicate deck and after dinner went to their room and stuck the 3 of clubs on the outside of their window before I entered.

Before I left I showed them a very clean card through window with their deck of cards:)

They bought me breakfast.
Derek Johnston
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
Great story magic1178! Gotta love a free meal, two is even better though. Those people had the best vacation ever.
Weird is part of the job.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9054 Posts

Profile of funsway
Back in the sixties people were getting arrested for destroying their Draft Cards -- a topic I got for an Extemporaneous Speech Contest. I started off by displaying my actual Draft Card and then pretended to tear it up after a simple switch. I spoke for the required 5-7 minutes with a ll the organization and passion I could muster -- then restored the Card at the end. I received a Second place in the round with the Judge's comment -- "I didn't hear a word you said after your tore up that Card -- but it must have been good!"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I posted this before, elsewhere, but, this will never happen again, so...

First of all, you have to know my older brother. He's always been a "superior" type, that takes advantage of lecturing me and pretty much making me feel "small".

Well about a year earlier than this, I had a new deck of blue-backed Bicycle cards, and opened them at the bottom with utmost care, took the sleeve off, carefully pried off the seal without damaging it, and reversed the TWO of HEARTS. I then (carefully again) put it all back together and rubber cemented the bottom of the wrapper, so it looked unopened.

I did this, because I was going to do a trick for my parents, and wanted it all set up in advance. When I got to my parents', I found a new, blue-backed Bicycle deck in their drawer. EUREKA! I switched their new deck for my prepared deck, and lo, and behold, we got company, or something like that and I was distracted. Oh well, I figured I'd just show it to them later, and I forgot all about it.

Fast forward to a year later. My brother was in town for a few days, and my dad said, "Why don't you show your brother some magic?" So, I got out my standard "stuff", and he was mildly pleased. My brother had picked the TWO of HEARTS in one trick, and said, "I'd really be impressed if you could do that with a NEW deck of cards..."

OMG...I was shaking, when I remembered the set-up deck in my dad's drawer. It had the freaking TWO of HEARTS reversed! OK, I asked my dad if he had a deck of cards somewhere. "Oh, yes. It's brand new...never opened." I told my dad to hand my brother the new deck and open it.

I've never seen my brother react like that. He just FREAKED. That's the best I can describe it. I've also never seen my dad (rest in peace, Dad!) laugh so hard and so long, in my life. Makes tears well up in my eyes just thinking about it. My dad was not a "laughing" kind of guy. He just chuckled at best. He roared and roared with laughter. My brother still talks about that to this day. This was more than ten years ago.

My sister recently told me, he tells that story over and over. He wonders how I could have KNOWN, let alone make that card turn over in a brand new unopened deck!
It was just dumb luck. But I'll never let him know that! The fact that I never TOUCHED the deck, further fries him!

Thank you for letting me relate that.

Doug
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9054 Posts

Profile of funsway
Thanks, Doug -- things like that happen all the time to me in real life, just not when I am doing magic.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Whats Your Once In A Lifetime Story? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL