The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » PA´s Review: Paul Vigil´s Diplopia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
I agree, to each his own... and I certainly appreciate the points brought up. But please, let's not say that clocking a deck isn't "harder" than reading the mark on the back of a card. I'm not saying that it's difficult, I'm just saying it's not as simple and straight-forward.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, that's the "to each his own" part! Smile

As I move along the path of life, my vision gets worse and worse. As luck would have it, my math skills are still sharp. So, for me, it really is lots easier to clock that to read the card back... I envy those with crisp vision.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Jack
Myself as well mandarin. The math used to clock a deck is really quite simple, far simpler than eye-burning a card the spectator is removing and not looking suspicious and hoping to see the marking(s). Plus the fact that the deck can be borrowed gives good reason for taking the time to get the clocking method down.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3690 Posts

Profile of JanForster
No doubt, having three brains like you (at least one more than me) it should be quite simple... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
shuren
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (and Sweden)
51 Posts

Profile of shuren
Has anyone seen Paul perform Diplopia and noticed whether the c*****g part seems natural or contrived. I was thinking that one could potentially stop here and there during the c*****g and comment on something to further disguise this subterfuge (assuming one remembers where one was in which case it's probably best decide on a single number to stop at all the time).
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
[/quote] jim (IN PART)

I know we are on an open thread, but without a force, shill or marked deck, what are some ways, without a lot of preparation, to have a spec freely choose a card, not return it to the deck, and name it?

Thanks,

Jim
[/quote]

Jim, on page 19 doesn’t it say, “As they return it keep driving home the point that you do not want to see what their card is”? They DO REPLACE their card BACK in the deck. Just keeping people grounded here. LOL
The card IS PLACED BACK into the deck. You also said that there isn’t any force. You are using a force on yourself by setting up the deck to see their card.

You guys are talking about magicians and dropping magician’s names left and right. There is talk about card moves and the word magic is used so freely here that I think it is just wonderful. If I didn't know any better I would think that I was in the magic section. LOL

This is a really good routine and yes there is ANOTHER and easier way to do the huhhhhhh magicians card moves LOL. In the PDF it is mention that this is one of the top three greatest effects that can be done with a borrowed deck. I wonder what is thought to be the other two. I hope one of them is Open Travelers, because it was given this title back before we had computers in our homes.

With words like finger break, swing cut, dealers grip, injogged, flat palm and Dealing Position only makes this feel like a card trick for me. Ever since I started doing mentalism MOST of the mentalism didn’t want to do CARD MOVES like the magician. They wanted their mentalism to be more pure and not feel and look like a magic trick. I know now that you think differently because a known person has put this out and all of a sudden a card trick is now mentalism. Go figure.

Everyone is jumping on the band wagon and saying that this is great (which it is) but they forget about all of those suggestions given to me and others about staying away from card moves and doing the work of the magician. I was told (on the CAFÉ) that mentalism shouldn’t use all of these card moves. Funny how we swing a different way now, huh?

This same effect has been written up before in magic books. It has been done before by magicians and now mentalists. Now I am not saying that this effect is bad, I really do like it. Heck I have been doing something like this for the last 25-30 years. I just didn’t put a heavy mentalism slant to it but I will now!
Diplopia is a really great mentalism effect that uses cards. I think that it amazing and hope that it sells well.

Because you guys like card moves so much, here are two effects that I was talking about doing for the last 25-30 years. This is just the write ups from the magic book. Because you guys are doing so many card moves now, I will leave it up to you to find these routines in your card magic books.

Card trick one;
The performer places a card on the table. A spectator removes a card and places it next to the performer’s card. The two cards are turned over to show that they match, i.e. same color and value. This is repeated twice more with equal success, despite the conditions becoming more and more impossible. (Pseudo mates are cards that have the same value and same color, such as the Ten of Hearts and the Ten of Diamonds)

Now if you want to select the very same card then how about this?

Card trick Two;
Two decks of cards are introduced, a red one and a blue one. Each are shuffled by the spectator. The performer removes a card from one deck while the spectator removes one from the other. The spectator’s choice is absolutely free. These two cards are placed to the table. They are turned over and they match perfectly. (Yes folks it is that clean).

Put a mental slant on it and you have a great mentalism routine. They both use very easy card moves and have been out for a very long time. I really like the effect of Diplopia but like the others just as well.

R
Bietfriek
View Profile
Elite user
Tilburg, The Netherlands
442 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
This book is a true gem...

Clever thinking and well written.
The effect is bizarre...no p**k, impromptu, every deck and every time another card.
Give it a 10/10!
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1304 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Where can you buy this?
Bietfriek
View Profile
Elite user
Tilburg, The Netherlands
442 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
Start google and type Paul Vigil Diplopia and you will find it.....

http://www.paulvigil.com/compositions.html
RCLmagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of RCLmagic
Update on Diplopia's non-availability:

That address <http://www.paulvigil.com/compositions.html> is now defunct.
Wrote to Paul Vigil last night using the Contact link on the top-level page (even though it's labeled "for bookings"). No response so far, but still hoping.

And as for the previous source of Diplopia, emagicsupply.com, they wrote back today and said, "All the Paul Vigil products have been removed from the market, at his request."
Bietfriek
View Profile
Elite user
Tilburg, The Netherlands
442 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
Hmm that's curious.... I'm glad I already have it in my arsenal. I do agree that there are more routines with an effect like this (not the same, but with the same punch) I really have to dive back in the books.....
Bietfriek
View Profile
Elite user
Tilburg, The Netherlands
442 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
Hmm that's curious.... I'm glad I already have it in my arsenal. I do agree that there are more routines with an effect like this (not the same, but with the same punch) I really have to dive back in the books.....
RCLmagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of RCLmagic
Update on Diplopia availability.

Yesterday I wrote to Paul Vigil. I received a reply within 24 hours with instructions as to how to order Diplopia directly from him, paying via Paypal.

Did so, and had Diplopia in front of my eager eyeballs shortly thereafter.

This is very very good. The combination of not-difficult (but seldom used or discussed) techniques and good spectator management will look astonishingly like mind-reading. Can hardly wait to try it out...but there is some prep/practice required first. (Must...resist...showing...before...ready!)
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
586 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
In secret sessions, there is a great post by J Warrens ref speeding up one of the methods applied in this routine (you will know what I mean) and it works very, very well! Lovely routine. Enjoy. With 6 posts under your belt you will have to wait a while unless you contact him directly.

Best

Martyn
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
liberty
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of liberty
This was just waaaaay too much work for me. As hard as I try I couldn't' get my head around the method. I've seen him perform it a few times live at a convention, and he just blew me away with it, even though I knew the method.
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Its been a while since I performed this but I just looked up J Warrens Lightning Diplopia in Secret Sessions and his application is excellent.

Easily completed within 20 seconds ...

Thank you for posting this ... I urge anyone interested in the effect to cast their eye on this as it will speed up your 'clocking' times significantly!!
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
Jamie D. Grant has a review of Diplopia on his Magic Friday website, and you can order it directly from there as well.

Here's a link:

http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2010/01/......gil.html

and, with just a handful more posts, I will hopefully be able to access J. Warrens' "Lightning Diplopia" method in Secret Sessions that everyone is saying such nice things about.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
NDG, you're there now. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
Hehe, yes. Smile It took me a couple of months, but I got there. The first thing I looked into is the thread mentioned above. Good stuff.
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Who'd like to offer a fair comparison with Mike Vincent's Kismet (Classic Magic of Michael Vincent)?

Wouldn't the spectator remember the same?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » PA´s Review: Paul Vigil´s Diplopia (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL