The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Where to learn sword swallowing? thank you (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Dear fellows,

Yesterday my friend give me a sword for sword swallowing.
I m interesting to learn it, is there any book or a direction?
Any help will be very apreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,
CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4433 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yes there are books! But the real question about learning this from books is .... how quickly do you want to kill yourself? In other words DON'T learn from a BOOK! Get a teacher for this one! I don't mean to insinuate that you can learn any side show stunts from a book - you should use a tutor for them or you WILL hurt yourself - it's only a question of when not if!

Ok that's the warning rant over! Just looking out for you!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
DM of course is quite correct, a one on one method is the best and only way.

I will however add the following >> Yonks ago A Burford wrote a manuscript which to me is the definative works on SS.

It was printed with a John Bull kitchen table printer and sold by the author to a select few who were in the know, it was never published as such and an internet search turned up nothing on it.

The whole thing came as a date sheeted unit with a daily excercise sheet which you followed to the letter, this spanned a three month period which he considered was the time required to learn. He also supplied a starter sword with which to start the ball rolling.

I got my copy and sword from an auction put on by Hamptons of Bath,,, having put bids in for the sword alone I was amazed it came complete with these instructions. The original price tag was 3guinees,,,three pounds three shillings in old money.

As a booster guide to instruction it should have found its place among the classics of sideshow.

These pop up very seldom so if you get the chance to grab a copy, do so.

Ken.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4433 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Cool -some nice history Thanks Ken!

Are you ever going to surprise us and not have something useful / historical to add to a discussion?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Well Dave its like this, when you get to my age 104 you remember times past, have lived the life and have something to say.

Now as your only 14 and in short trousers still, you have a long way to go to catch up with me. You could say that I had forgotten more than you already know, but that would be unkind of me to state,,,so I wont !

Knowledge is like a good wine and gets better with time,,,thats why I am so intelligent, good looking, bird magnet and modest.

Ken.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
My friends,

I really thank you for your friendly warning.
I never think if doing this is really dangerous, as I have the sword here, it s dull and seems not dangerous thing at all.
I lives in Indonesia, and so far I never seen someone here can do this, the only I saw is human blockhead.
Thank you vry much again, and I think I have to keep this sword only for display until I meet the expert to personally give me the tuttor.

Cheers,
CC

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4433 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 14:28, Kondini wrote:
Now as your only 14 and in short trousers still,

Maybe! But as I am such a short arse they look like long trousers on me!

Quote:
On 2010-03-21 14:28, Kondini wrote:
Knowledge is like a good wine and gets better with time,,,thats why I am so intelligent, good looking, bird magnet and modest.
Ken.

We knew that already! In fact when I have seen you work there were several men salivating at you as well! Unless they were just had rabies or something?

Quote:
On 2010-03-22 00:49, ssucahyo wrote:
My friends,

I really thank you for your friendly warning.
I never think if doing this is really dangerous, as I have the sword here, it s dull and seems not dangerous thing at all.
Cheers,
CC

That worries me! You never thought that shoving a steel sword down your oesophagus * was dangerous because it is a dull blade!!! People die doing this and they have been trained by other people and have been doing it for a long time!

It is not something to even contemplate just because you have a dull sword!

Here is an expert from the sword swallowers web site:-
“The lining of the esophagus and stomach are also richly lined with a complex series of blood vessels, and if a sword swallower punctures a main blood vessel in the esophagus or stomach, it can cause serious internal bleeding which can quickly become fatal. In some cases, sword swallowers have lacerated blood vessels and nearly bled to death in a matter of minutes as blood shoots out of the mouth. In other cases, the bleeding may be contained internally within the lower esophagus or stomach and may not be detected until later as a black stool sample”

I don’t do Sword swallowing but know someone that has and they quit because friend who had been doing it for over 20 years died from puncturing his stomach.

My advice is DON’T EVEN THINIK ABOUT IT!

*note Yanks please note the correct spelling of oesophagus it is correct whereas esophagus is NOT CORRECT!)
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Just like how we messed up aluminium?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Thank you a million... you are save my life!!!!

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4433 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yes but the Americans are beyond help! They will NEVER be able to say aluminium (without saying OO (as in plume))
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Well as we have saved your life ! What value do you put on this ?

I take PayPal, Dinners Card, American Express and Argos vouchers ok.
Ken.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4433 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ken I am happy to say I have an Argos voucher you can have ..... there is 1p on it (so that should cover my life yes?)

No I really do have a 1p Voucher for Argos! They don't give change on vouchers so you have to take the change as a gift card ....... mmm maybe I can sent it as a present to someone?
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
@Kondini, somedy if I die my soul I promise to get back to you and help you doing the freak show!! I believe you will be the best with myhelp ;o)
Coz Indonesian credit card is banned!

CC

Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Well, I hope I'll be forgiven for digging up such an old topic, but I too am interested in learning how to swallow swords. I learned fire eating and I did it through a teacher... looking at all the "how to's" on the internet and even some instructional books makes me shudder, now.

So, disregarding books and the like, how do you reckon I could go about finding a qualified teacher? Must I sell myself into indentured servitude in the process? Perhaps just sell my soul?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The only formal training programs are at Coney Island, and me. Red Stuart teaches, and is currently on tour with World of Wonders.

That you want to learn from a live teacher shows much greater intelligence than possessed by many who ask.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
joe faro
View Profile
Regular user
Salida Colorado
156 Posts

Profile of joe faro
You need a real teacher not a book or youtube. Harley taught me and it is worth while to use him.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Yesterday I bumped into a guy I met at a show a few months back. He said "I was thinking about you yesterday! A friend of mine got ill and he tore a hole in his Esophagus from coughing. They had to take skin from somewhere in his side to graph onto the hole. I had no idea the skin was so thin. How do you do that!"

Yes, from coughing....
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Do you know if the fellow had esophageal varices to begin with? If he did not; holy cow, that would be a lot of coughing.

And thanks, everyone. It might be a while, but I look forward to when I am able to obtain actual factual instruction.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I do not. I only know what he told me. His friend was in critical condition from the flu.
Then he pointed to where they took the tissue to repair the hole.

Skin is thin. That's all I"m saying...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
But we have thick skulls...
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Where to learn sword swallowing? thank you (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL