The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How did you choose your final load? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicbenyoung
View Profile
New user
Maryville, Tennessee
36 Posts

Profile of magicbenyoung
I use four final loads. 3 are small rubber bouncy balls (not much bigger than the normal ones I use) but one is a soccer ball, one is a baseball, and one is a basketball. Then the final-final load is a large blue basketball.

The way I present them is I ask how many balls under the center cup. They say "one" and I show them they are correct, but it is obvious that it is a different ball. Then I say, "well it's an extra ball. And I have another one here, and another one here(lifting up the other two cups as I speak) "But in case I lose them, I always keep one more extra ball" (lift up middle cup to show the large ball."

I feel they are relevant enough because I essentially act like they are exactly the same as the small red ones I used throughout the routine. I just continue referring to them as balls...which they are.

Just my 2 cents.
Ben
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Bright yellow lemons contrast nicely with my dark chocolate patina'd cups and pool-table green velveteen tabletop. The visual impact, contrast and incongruity is all I care about for the loads.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Very nice! I always use lemons (fab ones) with my cocobolo cups, the picture towards the end shows the contrast really well: http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Joe-Por......ups.html

Bri
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-05-09 16:32, mindyourmagic wrote:
Very nice! I always use lemons (fab ones) with my cocobolo cups, the picture towards the end shows the contrast really well: http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Joe-Por......ups.html

Bri

DUDE! we both used the word "incongruous". That's the word of the day!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
To answer the question of the thread, I choose them carefully!

Then following David Devant, Ken Brook, Dai Vernon, etc... objects of a different nature with bright colors to enhance the surprise. Now if these can be chosen according to the audience, so much the better.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-03-22 14:39, magiclimber wrote:
Good point Bill.

I guess the primary motive to present the cups and balls could easily be: It's the oldest trick in magic.

That's reason enough.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 23:02, MagiUlysses wrote:
Greetings and Salutations,

Although I perform at a number of renfests, I use mini-baseballs that I got from Gary Animal. I do not remark on the fact that the balls look like mini-baseballs, they're just props. And I use four baseballs as final loads, with my line being: "my secret to the cups and balls is I use four balls, I just make them bigger so you can see them easier." Magicians in the audience "get it," but the audience is simply amazed that after revealing the first baseball, I produce three more.

It seemed to make sense, to me, that the loads would be the same as the workers, only bigger, because of the last line, above, before I dive into my final hat line. So, that's why I use baseballs.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses

Being a renfaire performer as well I wanted something that didn't read as modern as baseballs do. I decided to go with cricket balls as they are quite unfamiliar to American audiences and the lacquered red leather and odd lacing gives them a rich and unique look. I produce three of them as well as a large silver orb, a lemon, a purse of monies, and a mechanical chick.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-05-12 14:25, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 23:02, MagiUlysses wrote:
Greetings and Salutations,

Although I perform at a number of renfests, I use mini-baseballs that I got from Gary Animal. I do not remark on the fact that the balls look like mini-baseballs, they're just props. And I use four baseballs as final loads, with my line being: "my secret to the cups and balls is I use four balls, I just make them bigger so you can see them easier." Magicians in the audience "get it," but the audience is simply amazed that after revealing the first baseball, I produce three more.

It seemed to make sense, to me, that the loads would be the same as the workers, only bigger, because of the last line, above, before I dive into my final hat line. So, that's why I use baseballs.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses

Being a renfaire performer as well I wanted something that didn't read as modern as baseballs do. I decided to go with cricket balls as they are quite unfamiliar to American audiences and the lacquered red leather and odd lacing gives them a rich and unique look. I produce three of them as well as a large silver orb, a lemon, a purse of monies, and a mechanical chick.

You cannot say what follows so I'll say it for you: "these loads come at the end of one of the most superbly entertaining routine"
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I choose it by popularity and best reactions.
In my regular chop cup routine I try any type of load that you can imagine, buy all the type, colors and shapes of balls, eggs, little coconut palms...you name it!
But lemons...Lemons are Lemons!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I load whatever I find in my pocket... Smile
Seriously? For 3 cups routines, I use Fab Fruit, Lemon, Turnip, Potato and Tomato.
Once for an impromptu bowl routine I loaded a handfull of mashed potatoes I grabbed from the plate to my left (under serious misdirection).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
LOL! Mashed potatoes...THAT HILARIOUS!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2010-03-23 00:23, magiclimber wrote:
Quote:

I have Punx's final load props.

No surprise here!

Yeah, he has everything.

My thought is for a 2 cup routine, 3 loads, for a 3 cup routine, 4. It makes it so much more impossible, and the extra one is sort of a freebie since there is so much misdirection when loading the 4th one. I normally have 1 load match my small loads, usually the last one revealed, and I stall as much as possible after revealing 3 pieces of fruit. If I can't get ahold of fruit, I have 3 different colored balls that fill in. I did have Fab Fruit at one time, but they disappeared, need to reorder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24230 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No. I missed out on the Pop Krieger cups, and I didn't know that Larry Jennings' widow was going to sell the Vernon cups.

But I can still hope!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Another surprising one is a ball that jumps all of a sudden unexpectedly. This is simply a lightweight styrofoam ball with a hole on the bottom. In this hole one of those toys with a suction cup on a spring attached. It suctions down to a plastic foot and after a short while it pops up. The timing takes a while to get the hand of but is a nice little bit for kids.
Jeremy Gates
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Not sure if that is a bit off-topic, but I am thinking of using some paper cups to do the routine and then finally load a cup of hot coffee ( by doing a switch + lapping).

Thanks,
Hirase
In love with magic!
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Hot coffee + lapping may end badly Smile
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Volto,

No, I mean lap the empty paper cup and switch it with a hot coffee.

Believe that you are just joking me anyway ^^

Hirase
In love with magic!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get your audience loaded, then it won't matter what you do. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How did you choose your final load? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL