The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Have you ever done a show and had someone else ALSO selling Svengalis? I did.

I was working a gun show in Dallas this past weekend. Another vendor, directly behind me today said, “Hey, there’s someone else selling Magic Cards.” Incredulous, I asked her to take me to him. I was surprised to see a tall young guy, doing pretty much Don’s demo. But much better than I! AND he had 8-10 people in front and on the sides of his table.

Once the demo was over, we introduced each other and we talked a little. His name is Brian and he was actually working with David Walker. After a few minutes, he asked where my space was and we both went back to work.

In a few minutes more a frail-looking white-haired gentleman, pushing a walker, came over and introduced himself as David Walker. The show was almost over so we talked maybe 15 minutes. In spite of his frail appearance, he was very sharp and gave me a few pointers on my demo. He said he was 82!

I took a couple of pix with my new phone but don’t have a cable to download them yet.

David said he’ll be doing several shows in Texas, none of which I had planned to do. I invited him to call me when he comes to/thru San Antonio.

A very gracious and friendly guy. I was proud and happy to meet him.

They had also gotten their cards from MM but were using the red ones, without the plastic envelope or hard card I use. But, unlike me, they did collate the cards. They use the Loftus “Magic Cards” box (as I do). They have their TCM in a biz-size envelope, with the instructions and a BIG “$5.00” on the front. The double-back card is red, tho it looks very much like the blue Zodiac cards.

David told me that Loftus doesn’t expect new cards until May.

By the way, I was packed and pushing my cart out the door but Brian was STILL working! THOSE YOUNGSTERS!

Jon
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hey Jon,
I call David about once a week,sometime more.I'm the one that got Brian to go to work with David,hes a good kid.They had David's chupacabra out all last summer,playing fairs all over the west.

David is a trip for sure.To bad you didn't have time to spend more time with him.He has so many funny stories.If you ever get time to sit down with David and cut a few jackpots (B.S)do so,you'll have the time of your life.David has a very sharp mind.

Mickey Mcdougall the guy that invented the Svengali pitch back in 1936 broke David in back in 1946 right after WWll.David first went out pitching with Harry Lorayne in 1946.

I love that man....

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2010-03-22, Jon-O the Great wrote: . . . a frail-looking white-haired gentleman pushing a walker, came over and introduced himself as David Walker. The show was almost over so we talked maybe 15 minutes. In spite of his frail appearance, he was very sharp and gave me a few pointers on my demo.

Some guys have all the luck -- a personal tutorial from S. David Walker! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
David said they had done relatively well recently, in spite of the slow economy. Possibly because Brian does the demo RIGHT and I use it as a foundation for MY demo. AND he had many people in front of his table, where I usually have only 1-2 or family groups. He did the larceny trick as part of his demo, rather than an addition.

They still sell the deck/TCM for $5, so they have to sell more than guys who sell 'em for $7-$8. Tho I didn't get a good look at it, the instruction sheet they use is smaller than the Loftus but they say it has 25 tricks. (Thanx, Don for sending me yours.)

All in all, I was happy to meet Dave and Brian.

Jon
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
JON!

Man, you are one lucky person! Being able to talk to one of the GREATS in the pitch business. Hope your season goes well for you!

ROD
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Brian didn't do the pitch till this christmas when he and David had a spot in a Mall in Dallas.Warpo a good friend of Davids and myself flew in from New Orleans to break Brian in and work over Christmas.They did really good and went $10.00 at the mall.Warpo had to go visit his daughter in Phoniex a week before Christmas,so Brian was on his own that last week.David told me the gross actually went up when Brian took over by himself.I was so proud of Brian for that.

I hope to go vivit them sometime this summer,just to jackpot not to work...LOL

Later,Don
diamonddoug
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of diamonddoug
Great posts. Does anyone know how to get any audio or video of David Walker on the Svengali pitch? I haven't seen any posts lately on how to get Expert at the Pitch Table.

DK
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I have a vid at the end of my DVD of david doing the pitch at the Wisconsin state fair.I don't think David alexander who just bought the rights to my DVDs is open for business just yet.But if you go to my site http://www.dondriver.net he will be in a few days.

The Expert at the Pitch Table has never gone to DVD its still on VHS tape and you can still buy it from Mike Swartz,David partner for many years.I PM you his number.

Hope this helped.

Later,Don ( see guys I told I wasn't going anyplace just because I sold out...)
diamonddoug
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of diamonddoug
Don,

A great help as always.

Thanks

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL