The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging cards and paper? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6012 Posts

Profile of motown
In addition to the traditional methods like tea, lemon juice, etc. for aging paper materials, are there any commercial products on the market that you've gotten good results with. Always interested to here about other ideas for this process.

Thanks!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Ask the Black Hart, here: http://www.blackhart.co.uk/atomiser.html
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
How hard do you wish to work at it -- and how old do you wish it to look?

At Dragonskull there ar several formulae by Brother Shadow for turning typing paper into parchment.

There are other methods using Walnut ink and dye.

I know that Outlaw's impeccable work is time consuming and difficult, stuff you learn in making movie props.

If you are looking for "instant age" you need to consider the substrate -- and the action of inks or paints on them for the decoration or text -- and computer lettering is WAY TO CONSISTENT to look correct for handwriting -- I find myself looking at letters like consistent height humps on every M or N or tail connection on a t as relevant to age.

Using a candle to apply heat to a sheet at a time will work -- but paper tends to crisp. So does oven baking,

If, other than Staples or such you have a printer's paper supply house (I use Kelly Paper) nearby and they have a retail section, you might be able to get substrates in affordable reams or short counts of big sheets.

Another place to look -- scrap book shops and on line scrapbook supply. That's where I got my last Walnut Ink powder.

Mary Tomich had a wonderful method of aging cards on Dragonskull. If you are a firearms nut (as I am) and reload ammunition - several methods of de-polishing the cards are found in that process -- then toning them and rewaxing takes some time and work.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
supercool
View Profile
Regular user
USA
160 Posts

Profile of supercool
Just some thoughts-

I have used sand paper on tarot cards

And for the OLD smell I wipe an object and leave it inside an old musty box,
(I used an old backgammon board, it had a real musty smell)

I have some parchment that I use for my "Soul Contract",
when I burnt the edges the paper blistered,
that was a nice surprise.

This may sound silly, it is just a thought; UV light fades objects, maybe a tanning bed could be useful.
Check out Smile TheMysticSpirit.com Smile
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
470 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Begin by using paper that is NOT a modern size. I use hand-made paper from Tibet in the items for Black Artefacts. This gives you a much more authentic look. Distress the paper a little then a spray of Dr Srrange Instant Old Age Atomiser, http://www.blackhart.co.uk/atomiser.html rubbed in, a couple of drips of candle wax and finaly: http://www.blackhart.co.uk/atmosphere1.html. One antiqued doccument!

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
470 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Hello again

I should have added that DSIOAA is dry so any ink or printing will not run.

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6012 Posts

Profile of motown
Those are all very helpful techniques. Some of them I'm aware of, others I wasn't. Thanks, I will check the links you provided.

I should have been more specific with my question, though. In art stores I've seen products which can be used to give give an aged or antiqued look to papers, photos, etc.

For instance, I saw a package of different spray bottles with different colors to give age spots to paper.
It's called Walnut Ink as chmara mentioned.
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/W......11139439

I saw some inks that could be rubbed on to photos to give them an aged feel.

Crackle paint was another product.
http://www.rangerink.com/products/prod_p......ckle.htm

Have you used these products and do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
BigJosh
View Profile
New user
West Coast
35 Posts

Profile of BigJosh
Liquid acrylic paint ( brown and just a bit of yellow or gold?), water, and spray bottle......I like the cheap ones for a "splatter" look...sometimes a bit of salt sprinkled on while wet for different effects....
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3499 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I've used Brother Shadow's techniques,
and also purchased his products over the years,
they've worked great, a lot of effort, but truly old and magical results,
now he's among the missing on the internet, the dragonskull site has the best information on his methods.

Magically,
Walt
BigJosh
View Profile
New user
West Coast
35 Posts

Profile of BigJosh
Also, I was told that you can take a pan of sand on the stove top, and stand up a book or stack of paper into it a bit to antique up the edges?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging cards and paper? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL