The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bullying Dove (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
I had one female dove that I use but she seemed to be lonely. A fellow magician had a female dove he was no longer using so he gave her to me. I had them in the same cage for over a year with NO problems. Then the original started to "Beat the C**P" out of the new one. When I saw it I was amazed. I had no idea they could use their wings to batter one another (which was ALL one way). She was also pecking it and wouldn't let her get to the food and water (which they get plenty of). I did separate them and the one recovered. The question is: Is this common and why would it have started in the 1st place, like I said they got along fine for over a year.
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5017 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It sounds like for some reason, you dominant dove has decided to become territorial. Usually males show this tendency but it does happen in females as well. Is it possible she is carrying an egg? She may be trying to protect it. Keep an eye on her and see if she lays one. If she does, remove the egg and put your birds back together to see what happens. Female doves will lay eggs without a male present and sometimes that laying is not very often.

Wing flapping is a common defense mechanism for doves. The pecking is just the next step of defense. You did the right thing by separating them.
Where the magic begins
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
Dave,
Thanks for the input. Both Doves laid regularly 2 eggs each and would take turns on them before I removed them (the eggs that is). Their cages are side by side and the new one just laid again.
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5017 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
OK. You definately have 2 females since they are both laying eggs. It really sounds like a territorial issue as I stated.
Where the magic begins
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
It is the pecking order, keep them seperate.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5017 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Pecking order is usually male versus female or old versus young. Since the doves were together for over a year with no problems, I don't think pecking order really applies.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would just separate them, it will be for the best. I had 2 maie doves, and the same thing happened. One wanted sex and the other did not. One minute they were snuggling, then the next they were fighting.

The dominate one finally pecked the other until he got an infection from all the wounds, and lost all his feathers and died.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
NickDiffatte
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of NickDiffatte
Ive got a male and a female and they get along just fine. usually
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5017 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That's the way it's supposed to be. There usually isn't any trouble between a male and female until you introduce a third bird. It's like people. Two's company-three's a crowd.
Where the magic begins
MichaelOzMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa
234 Posts

Profile of MichaelOzMagic
I have two males and the first few months they were fine but one of them started beating the other. I bought another cage and seperated them. It works fine! Now I i only let them out occasionlay and they don't fight because they are happy to see eachother. Just what I did might work with yours bbut not for sure?
Michael
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5017 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Michael, two males birds will almost always fight. Males are dominant creatures and are very territorial. A single cage is just not big enough for both of them. In a large aviary, the problem isn't as prevalent.

It's not that they are happy to see each other. It's because there is no territory to claim.
Where the magic begins
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had three hens and a one cock, and I never had a problem with the hens as far as dominance. It was ALWAYS the cock who did the dominance thing. And BOY did he do it!

Eventually one of the hens died, and a few weeks ago, after a good fifteen years or more, the cock finally died. I thought he just didn't know how! Man, he was feisty!

Anyway, the cock was truly the dominant figure in that cage. Having a dominant hen is something new to me.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5017 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dominance usually doesn't happen in females. If your two females are fighting, it is most likely an overcrowding issue.
Where the magic begins
MichaelOzMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa
234 Posts

Profile of MichaelOzMagic
Thanks Dave for that information. That explains a lot now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bullying Dove (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL