We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Standing on someone's shoulders (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
I was attempting this trick with a friend today. He is significantly larger than me and can support my weight fairly easily. But once letting go of his hands and standing alone, I tend to have some balance issues. Does anyone know if I should lock my knees, or bend them slightly? Ideally we are going to progress to both of us juggling, but for now we want to get the acrobatics themselves down. Any tips?
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
The secret is to let yourself go and let the person holding you keep you balanced.

Stand with your heels close together so your feet form a V. your weight should be more towards your heels than your toes, so you do not dig into the base's shoulders. Knees slightly bent. The top person needs to be firm but not rigid.

In the beginning the base can hold onto the back of your calves, pulling down.
see this photo (http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=3725908&id=598721139)

IMHO the biggest secret is letting the base control the balance and you just go along for the ride.

Good luck,
Kevin
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Thank you Kevin! We'll work on it using those suggestions. Today was our first time attempting, and I actually fell forward. It wouldn't have been too bad if my partner hadn't panicked and grabbed my ankles. Luckily we were on grass and I caught myself! My neck still hurts a bit though from it. Thanks again!
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
If there is a local Circus school or acrobatics group in your area I would recommend going and getting some tuition in this.

Although a standing on shoulders is a fairly common trick there is actually a lot of technique to getting it right, There is also a lot of stress put on the bases back so if your technique is incorrect you can cause a lot of damage even if you are not a big person.

But on the up side with a bit of expert help you will get it in no time and if you learn the right technique you can quickly progress to no hands two high which is nececery for more advanced juggling two high patterns.

Good luck Smile
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
In circus talk the base or bottom man is known as the Understander ... true story. Now, back to practicing you guys !!
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I understand Mike, but not today,
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Some tips:
- find other peolpe who know how it works
- at least find people to spot you (catch or break your fall when you come down)especially falling backwards can be nasty.
- when getting up flyer should push on the hands of the base. Never pull. (swich flyer/base position and pull if you want to know why)
- I am a base and a very scared flyer. Sometimes I try though. I learned this: As soon as you stand straiht (legs straight ideally but NOT locked)(sometimes you are unable to streched because of the way you stand and you keep your legs slightly bend.) Well, as soon as you stand straight stand more on your heels then on your toes (get this feeling on the floor by putting something under yur toes).
But as you are standing up (from holding the hand to getting to standing) your ass moves weiht to the back and you should NOT lean into your heels at this time. (will make you feel backwards)
- close your heels together and make contact with the head of base (this gives support)
- base will let go hand one by one and hold on to the calves of flyer. Pushing them slightly downwards. (this give some stability for the flyer). When more advanced you do not have too. And you need to not being able to have to if you want to juggle both.
- For balance: look straight forward. Don't look down! Stand on heels more then on toes. Stans as straight as possible. Make body tension. If you have to move move slowly and subtle (so that base can follow your movements).

Good luck!
But I would not recommend practising it on your own. Get some help. At least spotters. To avoid injuries by falling down and also to avoid back problems for base person.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

In pictures:
-step 1 & 2: http://www.truuk.nl/truuk.nl/uploads/96.1.jpg
- step 3 & 4: http://www.truuk.nl/truuk.nl/uploads/96.2.jpg
- step 5 & 6: http://www.truuk.nl/truuk.nl/uploads/96.3.jpg

edit: bah these are not working...
in stead
go to truuk.nl http://www.truuk.nl/truuk.nl/index.php
go to 221 truuks (on left)
look for truuk 97 staan op schouderstaan via opstap.

and here is one of me with a friend on my shoulders both juggling.
As you can see his toes are quit a bit pointing down and his tibia are in contact with my head. (by the way he should NOT push these against my head- instead I push my head back)
http://fotos.marktplaats.com/kopen/d/d0/......4A==.jpg

I hope this all helps Smile
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm

Here's a photo of our latest attempt. Are my feet too spaced apart? There is a spotter behind me by the way.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

You could try to close your heels but if it feels good it should be OK Smile
I think it is easier to stretch your legs if you don't close your heels too much. So both can be an advantage.

Your base looks happy and stable!! that makes a great picture Smile

Wheter or not you want to use spotters is really up to you. For me if giving any advise to beginning acrobates it is important to mention the importance of spotting while trying new tricks. Seen accidents happen. (not with this trick by the way) That's all. Take care, have fun!
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Yeah, I'll try closing my heels a bit like in your picture. The spotter in the back was actually a cheerleader friend of mine who had done this same exact stunt many times, and she was pretty helpful. Smile We'll keep working on it, thanks for all of the help. Smile

And we're trying this one next! These two are actually friends of the base in my photo. Smile

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Seeing that last pic reminds me of an act my first (and only) juggling partner and I did years ago. He was 16 and I was 17.

We dressed as a single playing card. Looked quite cool too.

It's not too hard to do steals and the like either. With the base juggling and the one hanging doing the stealing was our favourite trick. Just looked really odd.

We also used bounce balls so the hanging juggler could go from usd juggling to bounce juggling. That was quite nice too. Especially when we both juggled. Never quite got passing good enough to perform but it would work Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Standing on someone's shoulders (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL