The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A hat switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Howdy all,
I was thinking of adding a routine based on the story of Eleggua/Eshu wearing a hat that's half red and half blue. Obviously in the context of a 3/4 surrounded show I can't just have a half red half blue hat; I'd like it to be all red then all blue then both.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to do this? Or even just something similar that can get me thinking?

Thanks
Courtney
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Reversible: blue outside, red inside.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-03-26 02:15, The Curator wrote:
Reversible: blue outside, red inside.

That would work fine for the story, but I'd like it to be magical. Like a card trick that looks like a crooked gambling demo, but is just a little to good. At the end I'd (ideally) like the audience think "Oh the hat was two colors! ...wait, it couldn't have been! ...could it?"

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
You should be able to accomplish this with stage lighting.

Or you may want to search for temperature-sensitive dyes that change color.

Or you could always borrow a concept from the "chicken" egg bag and for the final time when you turn it inside out, you show that the interior is the same color as the exterior now.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
The suggestion offered by Christian and built upon by Philemon looks like a winner.

The story isn't about magic, it's about perception and jumping to conclusions. But that doesn't mean you can't use magic as a kicker.

Wear the hat with the red side out, then during the story turn it inside out and put it back on with the blue side out, then back again another time or two. When you get to the part about the disproportionate furor that ensued, you sum up: "which just goes to show that you can't trust everything you see" -- as you turn the hat inside out a final time and put it on your head...and it's green!

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Wow,
I was slow in seeing, but this great. Thanks everyone, I thought it was a fun idea, but now I'm actually very excited about it.

-Courtney

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A hat switch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL