The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Road Hustler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I understand that there are several editions of this book.

I've been offered a 1977 copy for $60. It seems like a good deal but I wanted to make sure the 77 edition is the best one .

I've heard that the later editions are longer but the extra information is not needed.

Would that be correct?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
As I understand it, the book was originally an academic work.

If you don't want to collect it, then you can get a copy the way one can get any other academic work.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'm not sure I understand your reply.

I already have access to a copy (several in fact) but I wanted to know the difference betweens the editions and whether one was superior to another.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Richard Kaufman added a bunch of additional material to the original text speaking to how card magic relates to hustling, and hustling relates to card magic.
He released this version in a hardcover binding, with a Steranko piece of art on the cover.

There are those here who will tell you the original is all you need, and then there are those that will tell you that the additional material has something of value.

The Kaufman book has also had some "special edits" made to it that Kaufman doesn't identify as being made by him, leaving you to presume that you're reading the words of the original author, Prus.

Both versions are pretty close to the same price.

If you're asking if the '77 edition (which isn't the Kaufman edition) is the "best" one, many would answer "yes", it is.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Thanks silverking. You've helped alot.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 18:58, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:

I was just saying you don't have to buy it to read it, and $70 is expensively for interlibrary loan.

But Silverking took care of you. Sorry for the confusion.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2010-03-28 04:13, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 18:58, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:

I was just saying you don't have to buy it to read it, and $70 is expensively for interlibrary loan.

But Silverking took care of you. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers- good advice.

I guess I'm collector in that I like owning books rather than borrowing them. More due my bad memory then any desire to horde. I'm perhaps the only 'collector' who reads in the bath. Smile
Magic Marine
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Magic Marine
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 20:15, silverking wrote:
Richard Kaufman added a bunch of additional material to the original text speaking to how card magic relates to hustling, and hustling relates to card magic.
He released this version in a hardcover binding, with a Steranko piece of art on the cover.

There are those here who will tell you the original is all you need, and then there are those that will tell you that the additional material has something of value.

The Kaufman book has also had some "special edits" made to it that Kaufman doesn't identify as being made by him, leaving you to presume that you're reading the words of the original author, Prus.

Both versions are pretty close to the same price.

If you're asking if the '77 edition (which isn't the Kaufman edition) is the "best" one, many would answer "yes", it is.

Silverking nailed it.
And put me down as one of those who would answer "yes".
I found that the revised edition read like two different books. The original portion was excellent and I couldn't put it down. The additions from the 90s were a slog to read and it took all my Marine Corps discipline to finish the book.
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Never finished the second half of the book but the cover rules Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've just bought the copy. I got it for $50 which is bargain considering the ridiculous prices I've seen it elsewhere ($125-$350!)

I majored in sociology at University and my interest in cheating and scams has always been more from a social/historical background than a practical one. The Big Con is my bible rather than At The Card Table.

Happy to take any more book suggestions. I'm currently working through Sharps and Flats, Rich Uncle in Fiji and The Art of the Steal (for the second time)
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1887 Posts

Profile of ASW
I'll swap you for the Kaufman edition.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Just got the Kauffman edition after owning the Black cover Gage edition. I like the added materials and it appears that Kaufman was in touch with CRD Sharper and got his thoughts on the magic section. At least, that's what the footnotes would have us believe. Its nice to read the footnote about Sharper's life in the years following Road Hustler. It is also interesting to read Sharpers thoughts on the differences between the closeup magician controlling his audience and the sharp's method of working the room. Obviously the latter wishes not to be the center of attention while performing. There are some real interesting insights here.

One thing that bothers me greatly. Kaufman makes no mention that the Epilogue is his writing and not Prus. If I missed where Kaufman makes this clear please point it out to me. I skipped right to the back and it looks for all intents and purposes that the voice of Prus continues into the Epilogue section. This seems like an odd oversight and I won't speculate on the motives or intentions (if there were any). I was aware there was some controversy surrounding his *footnotes* I didn't understand the whole of his contribution to the book looked to be Prus!

In any case I am glad to have both in my library. The hardcover is nice, the book is attractive in its proportions, and the cover art is nice as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Road Hustler (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL