The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! Interesting stuff here! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Re plates/ illustrations of Zodiac symbols in the Voynich mss. Two pages are missing.Cancer and Aquarius. Oddly enough, a 13th is there, the Chinese symbol of the Rat. The only plate in which the rings of human figures are clothed as opposed to nude, isAries. Interesting stuff. AM currently looking for ties to the number of stars in various constellations. the significance of Celestial Virgins. Voynich mss is claimed to contain references to Isis, celestial virgin mother of Horus., She holds ears oof corn in one hand, a Lotus in the other.

Learning as I go.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Even if two plates are missing from the zodiac section of Voynich, all twelve zodiac signs may be there; making the rat the 13 th. There actually are 13 constellations. the 13th has Egyptian connections, Ophichus. Moreand more the mss seems to reflect the thinking and goals of Dee and Agrippa.

YEar of the brown earth rat, and the japanese lore of the rat in the moon, resonate strongly.

Kotah
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of gmeister
For those who want a great, comprehensive, scholarly yet accessible overview on Grimoires check out GRIMOIRES: A HISORY OF MAGIC BOOKS by Owen Davies. published last year by Oxford University Press.

gary
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
I am more and more floored by the connections Kotah is finding here--what a joy to watch this fantastic brain at work! I wish I had something useful to add--but MAN I appreciate it--Thank you for sharing, SIR!
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Brother Bill, thankyou for your encouraging comments.
For a while I thought I was dancing by myself. As a magician, there are more than tricks to be learned. Seeking the lessons and quests of the elders, is an important path to follow as well. Watch for e-mails you may find of interest.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Ophiuchus. Ophiuchus, in Greek mythology, was Aesclepius, Master Architect, Healer, and God of Wisdom. Earth is a planet in trouble.

Ophiuchus is the only constellation in the sky which is patterned after a real person in human history, tracing back through time and space for its roots to an Ancient Egyptian mortal-made-god named Imhotep, whose life and times in or about the 27th Century B.C. were honored by both the Egyptians and Greeks some 2500 years after his death as not only a great man, but as a god who owed his great powers to the knowledge of medicine which he possessed, and who brought the art of healing to mankind.

The Ophiuchus symbol is used in Japanese astrology.

Yet another tie to the Rat Symbolizing ,

the 13th constellation or 13th Asrtological sign or placement.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Brother Bill,
I began to question in my mind, where a 13th month might come from/ be accounted for.

I wondered how a leap year might effect the equation; especially for the Chinese Zodiac in which the Rat is #1.

While doing a search on the internet .I found the following by asking : Effect of leap ears on the Chinese Zodiac.

The results proved mind boggling.

[Chinese calendar
The Chinese and Korean calendars are lunisolar, so a leap year has an extra month, often called an embolismic month after the Greek word for it. In the Chinese calendar the leap month is added according to a complicated rule, which ensures that month 11 is always the month that contains the northern winter solstice. The intercalary month takes the same number as the preceding month; for example, if it follows the second month () then it is simply called "leap second month" (simplified Chinese: ; traditional Chinese: c; pinyin: rn'ryu).

It seems unlikely the Voynich mss is nothing more than a spoof.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
To the ancient Egyptians, Rats symbolized wisdom.

Aesclepius, Master Architect,Healer and God of Wisdom.

The Rat in the 13th Voynich Zodiac sign
seems to be synonymous with Aesclepius;
and is connected the Ophiuchus Constellation,
the 13th constellation in the celestial zodiac spectrum.
The Egyptian influence runs through out this thread.
It still remains to see if the number of human figures
in the Voynich illustration, match the number of stars which form the constellation.

Watch for my follow up if you are interested.

Kotah
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
For those feeling some confusion, a little more background:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Thirteenth Sign of the Zodiac:
When the zodiac was first delineated by the ancients, it consisted of twelve 'houses', each associated with one of twelve constellations that lay along the Ecliptic: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, and so on. Since that time, gravitational effects on the orbit of the Earth, known as 'precession', have caused the line of the Ecliptic to change slightly. Specifically, it now passes through thirteen constellations, with Ophiuchus being the new addition. Where the Sun once passed directly from Scorpius into Sagittarius, it now spends nineteen days each year, from 30 November to 18 December, in the new 'house' of the Serpent Holder.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take your astrology seriously, or only as fodder for routines, Kotah has apparently linked it all to cultural elements in ancient Egypt, Greece, and China, as well as the well-known serpent healing staff, to the new 13th house in the heavens, using the the Voynich Manuscript.
Bizarre? Hokey Smokes!
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
In the Voynich mss. illustration for the 13th zodiac sign , there are 3o nude figures each olding a star. Above the central figure of the rat another star is above it. Giving a total of 31 stars. Counting the stars which form the constellation for Ophiuchus, you also arrive at a total of 31.
I dio not believe the star or figure totals in the other twelve signs equal their constellation counterparts.

More for us to ponder.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
The rat, moon and Aesclepius/ Ophiuchus connection relates to the following:

During the Middle Ages, medical students studied astrology because of its relationship to medicine (and the accompanying beliefs about medical prognosis). Frequently, treatment protocols were developed with astrological input.

People thought that the movement of the heavens influenced weather. Because that was so, they also believed a similar relationship existed between the heavens and the human body. Therefore, each part of the body was associated with an astrological sign.

Medieval books of medicine contained drawings of a Zodiac Man. The image would help to remind practicing physicians which astrological signs had influence over which part of the body. Timing of treatment would coincide with the astrological signs.

Aries, for example, governed a person's head while Sagittarius was in charge of thighs and Pisces ruled feet. Applying these principles, doctors would determine that it was not a good idea to treat a person's head during the month of March.

Bloodletting (and there was a lot of that) was a medical treatment designed to rebalance bodily humours. The procedure (believe it or not) was regulated by the Moon's position.

If, for example, the Moon was in that part of the zodiac which governed a particular part of the body, bloodletting would be avoided. The reason for that belief? The attraction of the Moon, to that part of the body, could cause excessive bleeding.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Additional connections /confirmations :

Egyptian deity Toth was considered to be the seat of intelligence / the mind/
God of wisdom and the moon.

Aries , #1 in the Zodiac was believed to influence the head and mind in medieval medicine.

The Rat is #1 in the Chinese Zodiac. In the Voynich version of the zodiac, the rat is the 13th sign.

To the Egyptians the rat symbolized wisdom. The constellation for the 13th sign is Ophiuchus/ Aesclepius, also with connections to Egypt, wisdom and medicine.

Toth reassembled the body parts ofOsiris, ressurected him so he might impregnate Isis with her son Horus. When Horus was slain, Toth ressurected him as well.

Toth is credited with being the author of all books of wisdom, and having created the 365 day calendar.

Horus

Horus was said to be the sky, he was considered to also contain the sun and moon. It became said that the sun was his right eye and the moon his left, and that they traversed the sky when he, a falcon, flew across it. Thus he became known as Harmerty - Horus of two eyes.

It was also said during a new-moon, Horushad become blinded and was titled Mekhenty-er-irty (mḫnty r ỉr.ty 'He who has no eyes'). When the moon became visible again, he was re-titled Khenty-irty (ḫnty r ỉr.ty('He who has eyes') .

Additional connections to Egypt and the moon.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
What appears to be a n eight letter word at the end of the first line of pp 66 of the Voynich mss.

It decodes to the letters ' o-t-l-e-b-a-i-s; " To Le Bias ".

Interesting when you consider ,'Bias is a term used to describe a tendency or preference towards a particular perspective, ideology, or result, when the tendency interferes with the ability to be impartial, unprejudiced, or objective.

Kotah
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
This continues to fascinate me Brother K.

I can only add trivia, really, but when we use the word "flu" or "influenza", we are harking back to the days when the illness was thought to be due to the malign 'influence' of Saturn. There are a few other 'hangovers' from the days when doctors were mystics, even in Western culture.

The cauduceus of Mercury is (serpent pair rising up the staff - a sign used in medicine regularly today) is thought by some to represent a profound alchemical secret, based upon kundalini, etc. I won't post more on this publicly though.
[
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I will likely not make further postings either my brother. You and Bill have been the only ones to comment pro or con. This does not have the attraction of the latest Outlaw product. I am however fascinated by the Voynich mss, ,and will continue to research and explore it privately. Sharing things via email to a handfull of cohorts.

Kotah
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Ron, I am fascinated with this topic. I just haven't had the time to contribute anything useful. That said, I have long been interested in the Voynich manuscript but have never had the chance to get deeply into it. I think your work is incredible so far and you have tapped into things that I would never have considered. I think your approach is extremely valuable. Please do continue to post your results. I will be more responsive when I get over my latest hurdle, although I feel inadequate and left behind by your results.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
A nother new day, and several new discoveries; a three phase method of decoding, anagram reassembly, and trans lation to italian, then english, is going very well.

PMs of encouragement and support have come in from England, Germany and here in the US.
Thankyou one and all.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
This has been an exciting and enjoyable interlude, but I likely have been bested.

A few things seem to have been deciphered, but then again it may all be illusion.

The choices being, lose my eyesight, or lose my mind. I will put it aside for a while, one is always free to return. Sadky, like my involvement in magic itself. Work with few rewards, eventual irrelevance.

The less one says here, the better off they are.

Kotah
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
What a shame, Ron! This has been very, very interesting.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
I feel badly about this-- I contributed very little. The embarrassing truth is --this is way over my head, and I am only able to follow, somewhat slack-jawed, the advanced decoding presented here, with marginal understanding of the process.
I doubt if KOTAH has been bested here, I have seen his work with the Zodiac 340 Cipher, which is EFFing brilliant. But jeez Ron, it is not worth blindness OR madness, take a leave of absence, the 340 NEEDED solving, this one is just for fun.
But--"eventual irrelevance"?? Coming from you, this doesn't make sense!
Spirit Up, Brother!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! Interesting stuff here! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL