The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Bibliography? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Hi Folks,
I recently have picked up the desire to try my hand at street performing (busking). I want to go with a tabled walk-by act. At any rate, I was wondering if there is a thread that talks definitively of all the book references that deal with the subject of busking? I've heard mention of Jeff Sheridan's, Michael Rubinstein's and The Giz's books/pamphlets, but if we could have a thread that is a comprehensive bibliography (perhaps this one) then perhaps it could become a sticky
Thanks,
Adrian.
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
89 Posts

Profile of arios0
Books: Cellini's "the royal touch"
Jimmy Talksalot's "To lure with spectacle"

Videos: Cellini's "The art of street performing"
Kozmo's "Tales from the streets"
Gazzo and Marrio's "The school of busking"
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Books,
Andreson, Harry- Wise Guy
Campell,Patricia- Passing the Hat. Street Performers in America
Cellini- The Royal Touch
Cellini- The Dreamer's Highway
Claflin & Sheridan- Street Magic
Evans & Craver- The Secret Art of Magic
Gazzo- Read Between The Lines
Gazzo- Street Cups and Balls
Gazzo & Danny Hustle - The Art of Crowd Keeping
Haydn, Whit- Street Magic
Talksalot, Jimmy- To Lure With Spectacle

Lecture notes

Capehart, Chris- Magic, Make $1500 a week doing it on the street
Cellini- Notes
Evans, Eric- The Secret Art of Crowds and Power
Forester, Stephen- The Art of Street Magic
Mc Falls, E.M.- Cellini's Lord of the Rings
Morris, Mario- Street Performing Manual

DVDs
Capehart, Chris- The Miser's Dream
Capehart, Chris- 3 Ring Routine
Cellini- The Art of Street Performing 3 volumes
Cellini- Street Lecture Zurich
Cellini- Lord and Master of the Rings
Cellini- Magic You Can Perform Anywhere
Evans, Eric- The Secret Art of Coin Manipulation
Gazzo- Uncensored ( School for Scoundrels)
Gazzo- On Tour 2004
Gazzo- Street Cups ( 2 versions? School for Scoundrels $ Penguin?)
Gazzo- Streetwise
Gazzo- Egg Bag
Gazzo- Tossed Out Deck
Haydn, Whit- Comedy Four Ring Routine
Kozmo- Tales from the Street
Morris, Mario- School of Busking 3 DVD set 2009
Wardell, Pete- Crowdpuller
Buskers- For Love or Money
Street Theater

( in DVDs I have included some which although not specifically referencing busking are routines which were originated or refined in a busking environment e.g. Whit Haydn's four ring routine. Might be worng on a few though)

That is all I can see on my shelf right now... I am sure there are a ton more.

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3944 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Inside Street Magic (Rubinstein)
First edition and reprint of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME! The good news, though, is that I have reprinted the book once again (they are selling like hotcakes!), so there are enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I again have a limited supply of books that I can sign. All come with a special FREE GIFT until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . The books are here and ready to ship!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
OMG - Tom - what a resource! Can I come over to your house for a month and just through your library? Smile

You just listed my next set of Birthday and Christmas gifts for myself. I have:

Claflin & Sheridan- Street Magic
Talksalot, Jimmy- To Lure With Spectacle
Capehart, Chris- Magic, Make $1500 a week doing it on the street
Capehart, Chris- The Miser's Dream
Cellini- The Art of Street Performing 3 volumes
Gazzo- Streetwise
Kozmo- Tales from the Street

If anyone knows where I can get the other books and lecture notes I am missing, it will be greatly appreciated. Most of the DVDs I may still be able to find in a magic store (preferable) of online (last resort).
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
One can read all they want Without experience that knowledge is wasted. Get out hit the bricks learn some hard lessons then come back to books and video's. Rinse and repeat. Also watch other buskers. NOT OTHER MAGICIANS, other buskers.
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Wow Ray... I never thought of that!
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
LOL, The first busking book I ever bought was Cellini the Royal touch.
I bought this after seven years of busking on the street, at the time I thought I whish I had herd of it Seven years sooner.

The truth be told this is the best book ever, it is as close to complete as you can get. If you have not got it get it.

On the other matter of Lecture Notes, my manual is not my lecture notes even thoe I sell them after the lectuer. Their is a more in it that I could fit into my lecture, that is why It is called Street Perfoming Manual. It is a little more to it than notes it has over 20 short chapters in it. Perhps we need to list Manuals?
Thanks
Mario

P.S My wife Veronica did a lot of work on this I mean have you seen my spelling, LOL.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Hi Mario,

Never change your spelling... it is who you are...

keep your finger away from F7 Smile

Tim
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
You are correct Ray ... but when I'm in bed at the end of the day I like to pick up a book, PDF, or DVD and read/watch some of that material. When I'm on the subway/bus on my to or from a pitch. Basically when I'm waiting or traveling (not driving).

Each time I watch one of those DVDs or read a chapter in one of those books I get inspiration. I hear or understand things that I may have missed. I consider myself ALWAYS a student ... even when I teach.

But the bottom line is to get out and do, apply what you've learned, and keep learning as you are out on the street.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2010-03-29 15:21, ray raymond wrote:
One can read all they want Without experience that knowledge is wasted. Get out hit the bricks learn some hard lessons then come back to books and video's. Rinse and repeat. Also watch other buskers. NOT OTHER MAGICIANS, other buskers.

I believe the original idea on this thread was to compile a buskers bibliography.
Thank you to those of you who made useful contributions.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Street Wise / Barry McKibben (The Giz)
Secrets of the Street Conjuror / Huggins & Culpit
The Street Conjuror / Jim Haviland
(Thanks to Danny Hustle for those last two titles)
Drawing a Circle in the Square - Street Performing in New York's Washington Square Park / Sally Harrison-Pepper
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Street Theater and Other Outdoor Performance by Bim Mason (A scholarly work, similar to Harrison-Pepper. Covers several types of performances and has a good discussion on the structure of a street performance).
Freak Like Me by Jim Rose (Has a good chapter on his experience street performing in Venice Beach).
I Only Roast The Ones I Love - Jeffrey Ross (Has a chapter about his time in WSP observing Charlie Barnett).

I have not read the following yet, so I can't comment:
Busker's a History of Street Entertainment by David Cohen & Ben Greenwood.
On the Streets: A Guide to New York City’s Buskers by W. Boyle.
The Street And How To Work It by Jeff Moche.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2010-03-30 10:15, RiffRaff wrote:
Street Theater and Other Outdoor Performance by Bim Mason (A scholarly work, similar to Harrison-Pepper. Covers several types of performances and has a good discussion on the structure of a street performance).
Freak Like Me by Jim Rose (Has a good chapter on his experience street performing in Venice Beach).
I Only Roast The Ones I Love - Jeffrey Ross (Has a chapter about his time in WSP observing Charlie Barnett).

I have not read the following yet, so I can't comment:
Busker's a History of Street Entertainment by David Cohen & Ben Greenwood.
On the Streets: A Guide to New York City’s Buskers by W. Boyle
The Street And How To Work It by Jeff Moche.


:applause:

Thanks for these!
New titles I've never heard of!
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
The Jim Cellini Lecture / International Magic, London
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Jeff Sheridan - Genius at Work, Volume One / The Street Act
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Bit of an odd one here, but you asked for a "comprehensive bibliography" so, London Labour and the London Poor, Volume 3, Henry Mayhew.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-03-29 17:04, Mario Morris wrote:
LOL, The first busking book I ever bought was Cellini the Royal touch.
I bought this after seven years of busking on the street, at the time I thought I whish I had herd of it Seven years sooner.

The truth be told this is the best book ever, it is as close to complete as you can get. If you have not got it get it.

On the other matter of Lecture Notes, my manual is not my lecture notes even thoe I sell them after the lectuer. Their is a more in it that I could fit into my lecture, that is why It is called Street Perfoming Manual. It is a little more to it than notes it has over 20 short chapters in it. Perhps we need to list Manuals?
Thanks
Mario

P.S My wife Veronica did a lot of work on this I mean have you seen my spelling, LOL.


Interesting note about the Cellini book -- It was originally written in English. This was translated into German. The original English disappeared somehow, and the copies that got printed in English were translated from the German back into English by a German-speaker, a Swiss I think. Hence the odd grammar, syntax and spelling.

Too bad, because this book deserved better.

Additional listing for the bibliography:

Kinney, Arthur F. -- Rogues, Vagabonds and Sturdy Beggars, which contains seven Elizabethan publications on various levels of people who earned their livings on the street -- some buskers, some beggars, some common criminals and con men. Included in this compilation is a transcription of Sa. Rid's The Art of Juggling(sic).
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
[quote]On 2010-05-03 11:11, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

Interesting note about the Cellini book -- It was originally written in English. This was translated into German. The original English disappeared somehow, and the copies that got printed in English were translated from the German back into English by a German-speaker, a Swiss I think. Hence the odd grammar, syntax and spelling.

Too bad, because this book deserved better.


It would be nice if someone could locate an original English version and publish a new improved edition. (Richard Hatch, are you listening?!)

Another video for the buskers biblio; McBride on Stage, Volume One; The Commando Act. Not specifically about street performing per se, but certainly applicable.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
LOL, it must be me being dexlexic but I found that this book reads smothly.
I found it easy to read, perhaps the Germans right the way I think.


[quote]On 2010-05-03 11:23, epoptika wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-03 11:11, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

Interesting note about the Cellini book -- It was originally written in English. This was translated into German. The original English disappeared somehow, and the copies that got printed in English were translated from the German back into English by a German-speaker, a Swiss I think. Hence the odd grammar, syntax and spelling.

Too bad, because this book deserved better.


It would be nice if someone could locate an original English version and publish a new improved edition. (Richard Hatch, are you listening?!)

Another video for the buskers biblio; McBride on Stage, Volume One; The Commando Act. Not specifically about street performing per se, but certainly applicable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Bibliography? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL