The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bob White on Cards : A Practical Approach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
” The inviolable rule of the professional is uniformity of action. Any departure from the customary manner of holding, shuffling, cutting or dealing the cards may be noticed and is consequently avoided…Whether the procedure is true or ‘blind,’ the same apparent action is maintained throughout.” – S.W. Erdnase

I am credited as lighting director on the DVD, but really all I did was press a few buttons and donate my camera.

This past weekend at the Dallas Super Session, I received my finished copy of the new DVD. Kudos to Jared Kopf and Mike Squires on the directing and editing jobs.

I met Bob White about eight or nine years ago. At the time, I was just beginning to learn serious sleight of hand magic. I attended Bob’s “It’s a Matter of Style” seminar and learned, what I believed to be, one of the best systems of magic management in existence. Bob has taken Erdnase’s thoughts on Uniformity of Action and Vernon’s principles of naturalness and created a system for handling the cards and as Bob puts it “connecting the dodges” of the things that we do in order to lull our audiences into what Erdnase called an “state of absolute serenity”.

I have been fortunate to be able to spend a significant amount of time with Mr. White, learning some of the particular finesse and subtlety that is taught on this DVD. He teaches a system for making your false counts (including Gemini and Elmsley), double and triple lifts, and other sleights have a more uniform and natural appearance. Many of the ideas can be applied to other sleights that are not explained on the DVD (for example, the top change).

In addition to the theory and sleights there is a selection of tricks. None of these tricks are knuckle busters. They are good, commercial tricks and Bob uses many of these whenever he is working close up. They are designed to give a practical application of the theory that is explained in the first part of the DVD. Double Pinochle and Penetration of Thought are both good tricks and feature previously unpublished handlings that were taught to Bob by Dai Vernon. Another great trick is the E.G Brown Spelling Trick. In my opinion, the Fingerprint Trick is worth the price of the DVD.

Below is a list of the contents of the DVD. I’m sure that reviews will be appearing in Genii, Magic, and MUM within the next few months.

Moves/Theory:

Double/Triple Lift
False Counts (including Gemini and Elmsley)
One Hand Tilt get ready

Tricks:

White’s Fingerprint Trick
Lie Detector Test
Thought of Card Across
EG Brown Spelling Trick
Japanese Aces
Ambitious Classic Revisited
Slow Motion Jazz Aces
Ladies and Gentlemen
A Chemical Reaction
Penetration of Thought
Double Pinochle

The DVD is available from Bob for $50 (plus postage). You can email him at rhwhite1@swbell.net if you would like to order a copy from him. Let him know if you would like it signed.

The DVD should be available from Murphy’s dealers in a few weeks.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I have Bob's DVD on the cups and balls which REALLY helped me finally get into the trick after 20 years of half hearted trying. I really like is no nonsense approach.

I am really looking forward to hearing more about this project!

Thanks for the heads up.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
After overcoming much resistance Smile Bob is now able to take Paypal. You can paypal him at his email address above. Be sure and email him to let him know you are ordering it.

Bob is very proud of this DVD, I am curious to hear what others think once it starts getting out there.
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
I agree with JordanB. Bob's version of the Fingerprint Trick is light years ahead of methods that require the deck. Bob's updated handling for the E.G. Brown trick makes it into a real worker. The sections on natural handling are worth the price of the DVD

Van
Later Ya'll

Van
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
I just got the dvd and have to agree. The section on natural handling is worth the price of the dvd. Bob's version of the Fingerprint Card Trick, EG Brown Spelling Trick, Ambitious Classic Revisited and the rest of the tricks are just a bonus.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I am really enjoying this DVD. There are little gems of information & experience sprinkled throughout it that are worth the price of admission.
tjo'
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
What kind of doube lifts are explained on the dvd?

I got tons of Dl videos but all of them are pretty flashy, I want something simple and not to knucklebusting.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Well worth the money and an excellent companion to his "It's a matter of style" lecture notes too!

The double lift taught is a variation on the Vernon double and is in no way flashy.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

One of the things I like most about this (and other) videos that Bob has made is the concept of what Vernon labeled as "management". How do you get into one move or another? Why do you get into it? When? If you read (listen?) between the lines on this DVD, that seems to be a big part of Mr White's magic & philosophy.

Any of you guys on the inside, if you could convince Bob to do a bonus section on one of his future DVDs with an interview that has him telling stories, anecdotes, experiences, etc - I bet that would good.
tjo'
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
Quote:
On 2010-05-18 12:32, Martino wrote:
Well worth the money and an excellent companion to his "It's a matter of style" lecture notes too!

The double lift taught is a variation on the Vernon double and is in no way flashy.

Whats the difficulty level?
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
The material is not difficult.

In the forward to Bob's lecture notes he mentions that the material is not intended for the beginner, but it may give the beginner a better idea of what he is trying to accomplish. If you can do any of the stuff in Royal Road, then this would probably be appropriate.

One good thing about picking up this material at an early stage is that it can save you a lot of time and frustration.

I have talked to Bob before about doing an interview. I think a podcast (ala Magic Newswire style) would be a cool thing...or an article in Genii. Jared Kopf would be the guy to do it. He knows Bob better than anyone else and knows the "right" questions to ask. We'll see what happens. If you don't have it, check out the Magic Magazine, November 2003 (maybe 2004) with Bob on the cover.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Thanks for the tip Jordan, I will try to get my hands on that issue.
tjo'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bob White on Cards : A Practical Approach (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL