The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "At the Mountains of Madness" Performances? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Propnomicon
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Propnomicon
I apologize beforehand if this is the inappropriate place to ask, but I was curious if anyone here will be performing Docc Hilford's "At the Mountains of Madness" show anytime in the near future?

I run a blog dedicated to Lovecraftian props and learned about it via a magician preparing a version of the routine for next year. Given the long time frame between now and then, and the natural impatience of the aroused fan, there's quite a bit of interest in finding a performance scheduled in the near future. If anyone is doing it I, and others, would greatly appreciate a heads-up.

As an aside, it appears that my own interest in items from "At the Mountains of Madness" conveniently mirrors many of those used in the routine. I've created or adapted a wide variety of paper props based on the story, including maps, documents, photographs, and drawings. No, this isn't a sales pitch- they're all available for free under a Creative Commons license. They can be downloaded in both JPG and PDF form from this section of the blog: http://propnomicon.blogspot.com/search/l......0Madness

Again, any information you might have about an upcoming performance of the ATMOM routine would be greatly appreciated.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
That was me. Smile

If I had known anyone was paying attention I would have tried harder to stay in the time frame I had originally conceived.

At the present I am behind schedule. The show is coming along fine and I will doing test performances soon, but I didn't take into account the work and cost involved in finding an appropriate place and marketing the show. I still plan on doing it this year, but I'm not sure when.

BTW I love your site.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
619 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
I've always wanted to do a full Lovecraftian show, but just never got around to doing it. The closest I have done, was add a piece using pages from the Necronomicon ala "In Lizzie's Hand" in a show entitled "The Danvers State Paranormal Experience". This show was presented about 3 years ago with 2 runs the night before Halloween in Salem MA. Look up Danvers State and how it was presented by good 'ole H. P. I actually went to an event at someone's house who owns one of the sspres from Danvers State (which has was converted to condos a few years ago). Check out "Session 9" for some bonus footage about Danver's State. Session 9 was actually filmed inside Danvers State. I've also been to the standing stones mentioned in "The Dunwich Horror". They are located in Salem New Hampshire and are known as "America's Stonhenge". Living in the town next to Salem, MA gives me exposure to plenty of weird stuff and a few weird venues ... like the time we presented a theatrical seance in O.T.O. hall.

I don't think I'll ever present ATMOM, as most of my shows are designed for 20+ - 50 people. ATMOM is just too intimate to be pulled off correctly for an audience of that size.

BTW, I do love your site and stumbled across it some time ago, but forgot about it.

Magickally,

Dave Birtwell
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of Marqus
I developed an ATMOM performance but it evolved into a Jack the Ripper show ("An Evening in Whitechapel").

Seadog93(or anyone): HOW DO YOU MARKET THIS SHOW? AND TO WHOM?

I just can't figure out a marketing stratedy to direct this to.
Any suggestions or help?
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-03-30 09:17, Marqus wrote:
I developed an ATMOM performance but it evolved into a Jack the Ripper show ("An Evening in Whitechapel").

Seadog93(or anyone): HOW DO YOU MARKET THIS SHOW? AND TO WHOM?

I just can't figure out a marketing stratedy to direct this to.
Any suggestions or help?

Well, I can't speak from experience yet but I plan on doing a scaled down version of Jim Snack's "fill the house." I want to do it a an atmospheric rented room (I don't want to deal with hotels, etc. the first time) and market it to the younger "artsy" crowd that attend theatre and art openings. It seems like the most important thing is to give yourself enough timee. 2-3months. I'd also like to have some radio times and newspaper articles.

Since the show will be so small, I want to do it over (at least) one full weekend, doing 2-3 shows per day.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Courtney
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "At the Mountains of Madness" Performances? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL