We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Making fire eating torches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
Recently my wife got into fire eating. Can someone recommend the easiest torches to make. I have noticed on some videos using t shirt material. We have used adhesive wick to make torches.Itseems that sometimes the glue does not hold properly. Is it best to let the wick sit over night for better adhesion? Sometimes the lighter fluid, keeps the adhesive from sticking well. What is the best way?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
What glue are you using?
The best is good old fashioned elmers glue. The heat actually cures it harder and it is immune to the fluids used.
And you don't need to let it sit for long at all. The heat speeds up the process.
G
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
I am using the adhesive wicks from Fire Mecca. What type of material are you using?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Depends on the purpose.
Most of my wicks are made from cotton belt webbing.
Emphasis on COTTON. No blends. They make your mouth all melty.

G
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Jay, PM me for details on the no-glue wicking I put on my torches that I make.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
I'm going to say what everyone usually says when someone asks about fire eating.

FIND A QUALIFIED TEACHER.

And if you want to kill yourself watch how-to fire stunts on Youtube.
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
Seems to me we aren't discussing LEARNING how to do fire play, but more how to put a piece of clothe, on a stick, that will stay. So here are my two cents.

I like Kevlar, sewn with a lock stitch, using Kevlar thread. What makes it even easier is the ingenious design, which I wont divulge, by Mr. Nippulini! Buy yourself a set and see why!
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I acquired a set of homemade torches that were made by wrapping a long strip of cotton material and then sewing it. The stitching got burned away. But I do like the size and workability of the strip of cotton material. How does one go about using Elmer's Glue to glue this down? And does the glue get all "melty" when lit?
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
To glue a wick is pretty simple. Hook one end to your torch base, wrap it around putting a drop or two every couple of revolutions. When you get to the end put a line of glue across it (Covering any frayed ends) and then clamp it with a clothespin or similar not terribly strong spring clamp. Leave it that way for an hour and you are set.
Elmers glue does not get melty when it gets hot, it gets harder. I usually do a burn right after taking the clamps off to "set" the glue well.

Not a big fan of kevlar- I don't feel it holds enough fuel for long burns. Which I suppose is fine for fire eating as you don't let it burn all that long. I do a lot of wicking on poi, fire fans, flaming bat'leth (Yes...I have a set of two. Nothing like a geek fire performer!) fire claws and such where you need a longer burn. I just can't get that from kevlar. Cotton works well as long as you extinguish before your run out of fuel. The glued wicks are pretty strong considering how fast they are being spun. Never had one give out on me, but if they come loose at al, you just reglue.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
My preference for wicking is a cotton interior with a wrapped Kevlar exterior.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Slim Price gave me one his last torches. When I started my interest in fabricating torches I dissected his. The core was glued to the rod with HOT GLUE. I was floored. How could that NOT get all melty and slide off? That's why I invented my reverse barb-hook design. When properly wrapped, a wick secured to the ceiling of my shop was able to hold my body weight.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Is it just me or does anybody else notice the difference in taste when it comes to natural fiber wicking and Kevlar?
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
T.G.N., It's cool you have Slim's Torches. "The Red Headed Sluts" as I believe he called them. I always meant to buy a set, but then it was too late. Are yours red? I always wondered what he used for a red wick but never saw one.

I use white virgin cotton I bought from a medical supply store. It comes in a big roll and is much like a sheet of cotton balls. I cut off a five inch length, two + inch wide strip and wind it around the tip of my torch. The tip is folded over for a hook so the first few wraps go under it then over making sure to cover the tip so it won't become exposed and hot at a later time. After I have it wrapped to the tightness I want I put the head in my mouth and roll it around to make it smooth and not so fluffy.

Then I sew it up with black cotton thread. I used to use 100% cotton thread but can't find it now so I am using mercerized thread. I know I shouldn't but amazingly it doesn't burn. I keep my torches pretty wet and don't let them burn for long. Thread is so much nicer than wire IMO, because it doesn't get hot. With thread wrapped around the base of the head I get fewer burns on the lips. I still get the occasional white lip but only when the A/C is blowing the flame around or if I'm paying attention to something else.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I use cotton core, with a kevlar outer layer. It doesn't hold fluid as much as simply cotton, but it lasts a looooong time.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2010-04-01 19:09, Harley Newman wrote:
I use cotton core, with a kevlar outer layer. It doesn't hold fluid as much as simply cotton, but it lasts a looooong time.

Yes yes!
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I never considered making hybrid wicks! I'll have to try it!
Thanks Brett/Harley!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Slims's torch heads had cotton wicking hot glued to a brass rod. The head were then covered with a tiny red (Kevlar?) sock. The base of the sock was secured with thin copper wire. In the process of taking it apart I realized I'd never be able to put it back.

Brett.... I have an idea for you..... make a glass torch handle.
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
I think I remember him saying the red part was terry cloth, (cotton.)
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
The wick was cotton dish towel, and the sleeve was:

"a product called 'Surgitube', a bandage made for extremities such as fingers. It comes in a roll a few yards long. I dye the whole package red (all at once) with RIT dye and use it as needed. Apply as neeeded acccording to the provided directions. It makes a perfect snug cover that can be used in just a few moments. I always have new looking torches, although the cores are many years old. Recently, I found out that Surgitube uses two different materials. One is a synthetic that will melt in seconds! Not the one to use. The other is the old standby cotton that will last for several shows."
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Thanks Stephon. You have answered a question I thought was never going to be answered for me! I never thought of asking you guys after Slim passed. I'm guessing "Surgitube" is flesh colored at the start? I'll have to look for some of it. That sound's much easier than what I have to do every 5-6 months. Just changing a sock and leaving the core in place. Love it!

Regards,
Ted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Making fire eating torches (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL