The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Putting a price on your act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gregkoren
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of gregkoren
A woman recently asked me how much I charge for an hour show. I quoted her a price and she said I charged too little and therefore must not be that good.

I probably should’ve impressed her by tripling my price on the spot, but I was left somewhat speechless.

Has this happened to anybody else, and if so, how have you handled it?

Also, when it comes to putting a price on your act, how do determine what the market will bear?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Research, research, research. Then a few years of experience and a lot more research. Eventually you'll get it.
Andrew Morse
View Profile
Regular user
Corvallis, OR
157 Posts

Profile of Andrew Morse
Listen to Michael Ammar's 'Negotiating Higher Performance Fees.' Cheapest $8.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
It's not a matter of figuring out how much the market will bear. It's not even a matter of research to know what others are charging. It's a matter of determining what you're worth. If you're worth $500 a show and the top guys are charging $5,000 a show, don't raise your price to $5,000 if you're not worth it.

Now we have no way of knowing how much you're worth and you may be good, but the potential client that you lost is probably right in her assessment of you because if you were really great, you'd be charging a lot more and would have the experience to know what to charge.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Domino,

You make an excellent point.

Lou Serrano
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
That kind of stuff happens all the time. I would be willing to bet that she wouldn't be satisfied with any price you quoted. Were you talking to my X wife?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Your price is determined by how buyers perceive you. If everything about you screams EXPENSIVE then when you quote a price they will have no doubt that you're worth it.

What price did you quote her? And what context was it in? (Were you performing at a restaurant? Did she call you up because she saw you in the phone book? etc)
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I read someone, somewhere say that when your turning down gigs because your booked so much, then it's time to raise your prices.

I have not yet had that problem myself, but I do look forward to it. Smile

Also I think that getting spin off bookings is a good way to make sure your show is good. I mean if people watch your whole show and then hire you on the spot, or at least get your information, then you must have at least a pretty good show.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2010-03-31 21:43, seadog93 wrote:
I read someone, somewhere say that when your turning down gigs because your booked so much, then it's time to raise your prices.

I've always thought that was horrible advice. I was charging about $300 for an hour of walkaround a couple years ago. Then I increased my perceived value by getting a good demo, etc and after talking with a big time agency I told them I charge an average of $2,600 per show. This was a complete lie as I was charging $300-$600. And they booked me for my asking price.

Ever since...I've dramatically increased my rates.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Greg
When an agent calls me up for a gig, and askes me how much do I want. I simply say "what do you think I can get?" That lady was a wacko, and you never had the chance with her, so forget about it.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
gregkoren
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of gregkoren
Thank you, all, for your thoughts. (Al, you made me laugh!)

Living in Ohio, I supported myself though magic. Then I married, my wife and I moved to Maryland, we started a family, and so on. Now, twenty years later, I'm trying to get back in the business. (I should add that during those twenty years, I continued to perform gratis for friends and non-profits.)

I mention all this, Benji, by way of saying that I quoted the woman a price of $150. Twenty years ago, that was a lot of money!

I have no trouble saying I'm better than good, but obviously I still have much to learn, which is why I'm seeking counsel.

Again, thank you all for you input!
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Greg, you said $150, but can you tell us what kind of booking it was?
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2010-03-31 18:51, Al Angello wrote:
That kind of stuff happens all the time. I would be willing to bet that she wouldn't be satisfied with any price you quoted. Were you talking to my X wife?

You've got a point there, Al. Usually, if people don't book you, it's because they think $150 is too much.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-03-31 21:53, Benji Bruce wrote:
Quote:

I've always thought that was horrible advice. I was charging about $300 for an hour of walkaround a couple years ago. Then I increased my perceived value by getting a good demo, etc and after talking with a big time agency I told them I charge an average of $2,600 per show. This was a complete lie as I was charging $300-$600. And they booked me for my asking price.

The late trade show magician Dick Ryan used to say that if you want to double your income, double your rate. You want to make more money, raise your prices. There's nothing wrong with raising your prices and charging more IF and this is a big one, IF you're worth it. I know a lot of acts that charge too little because they don't have the confidence or sales ability to ask for more. I also know some acts who overcharge because they can't deliver what they promote.

So how do you know if you're worth it? It's easy actually. Are you consistently getting standing ovations? Do you get letters of recommendation without asking for them? Are you consistently getting referrals and repeat bookings? Ok, maybe not everyone is going to get a standing ovation, BUT the other examples are a good indication that you're worth it.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
Quote:

Holy Cow!
Well I think your the one trust on this. Smile
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Hey Greg you should read Money Talks by Alan Weiss, It is a book for speaking engagements but the business practices are the same. He has a whole section on prices.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Quote:
Quote:

I've always thought that was horrible advice.

Horrible?

I think it's quite a valid indicator that your pricing is ready to be increased.
It's not the only one but it's certainly telling you something and is one of the metrics that we can track.

Simple supply and demand. If your price in your market results in you running out of product to sell (your show) what should you do?

PS. I agree with your recomendation on Weiss, great book,
gregkoren
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of gregkoren
Hi jlibby, the booking was for a parlour show for a private event, 50 to 60 folks.

Thanks for the book recommendation, Benji, I will check it out.

I guess it's safe to say I'm behind the times in my understanding of today's market.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Choose who you want to work for.
Regardless of whether you charge $150, $1500, or $15000 or more, your price will be too high, too low, or just right for some segment of the entertainment buyers out there.
A local company here is flying in Jeff McBride to perform for their clients. Do you think that they would rather pay $100 for a magician to save money? Or even a $1000 magician to help the bottom line? Forget that!
Sometimes people WANT to spent a lot of money on an entertainer. Because sometimes people want high quality (and price can help in creating a perception of such). Lowest price doesn't always win.
There are pluses and minuses to each potential market segment and your product must fit the bill for what they are looking for.
There is also the positioning factor as well.
Pricing is a big strategic decision but the good news is that it can be adjusted along the way as you learn and find your fit.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2010-04-01 02:30, MrHyde wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've always thought that was horrible advice.

Horrible?

I think it's quite a valid indicator that your pricing is ready to be increased.
It's not the only one but it's certainly telling you something and is one of the metrics that we can track.

Simple supply and demand. If your price in your market results in you running out of product to sell (your show) what should you do?

PS. I agree with your recomendation on Weiss, great book,

Yup it is horrible advice. If you charge $300 and hour but want to charge $1000 then it will take a long time to get there. But if you just increase your rates to $1,000 then all you have to do is find people who will pay that much.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Putting a price on your act (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL